2009 BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2009 BMO Canadian Figure Skating Championships

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes they indeed did say that. I would say that dance ( 2 entries ) is the only event where 4CC would change nothing.

The mens might have an issue if Fedor medals. I think SC would want Fedor to prove himself internationally at 4CC before giving him his ticket to worlds.

In pairs, the SC will use 4CC to evaluate if Langlois/Hay are healthy enough for worlds ( if they do compete there).

In ladies, 4CC will probably be the skateoff for the 2nd world spot.

Thanks for the info! I can definitely see Skate Canada's reasoning for doing this. Particularly, the battle between Leung and Phaneuf, who are both so unpredictable, and to test the conditioning of Langlois/Hay.

lcd

Match Penalty
Compulsories have become quite the way for judges to put some real distance between the teams. ;)

nadster

Final Flight
Thanks for the info! I can definitely see Skate Canada's reasoning for doing this. Particularly, the battle between Leung and Phaneuf, who are both so unpredictable, and to test the conditioning of Langlois/Hay.

Actually I would not call Mira unpredictable. The main reason why her results are so much better at nationals is because caller have never dinged her for UR calls at nationals and she gets positive GOE's for those jumps at nationals. Whereas internationally she frequently gets dinged for UR calls and - GOE.

Mira did not fall or pop her jumps at Cup of China. She simply just was called for UR and just about every jump hence the low score there. She is consistent in going for the jumps and landing even though often her jumps are underrotated.

Mira's standing will depend mainly on whether the caller will give the benefit of the doubt or not.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
PJ Kwong published her blog yesterday, but I only noticed it just now: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/01/eyes_will_be_on_virtue_and_moi.html

Since my main interest in the men's event, I will quote what she has to say about it:

Patrick Chan is the defending champion and undisputed favourite for the men’s title. In hot pursuit are familiar names from the Grand Prix series like Shawn Sawyer, Jeremy Ten, Kevin Reynolds and Vaughn Chipeur.

The name I want you to think about though is veteran competitor Fedor Andreev who, in 2003, was the senior men’s bronze medallist. He brings maturity, technical competence and a lyrical style to this event and with a solid win at the qualifying 2009 Skate Canada senior challenge event last month, he is one of the men to watch.

Wheeeee, both Kurt and PJ consider Fedor to be a podium contender! :biggrin:

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I am aware of those facts, nadster. :)

I probably should have clarified what I meant by unpredictable. I was referring to the judges' reception of Mira, the difference from national to international competition. I was not referring to what she usually delivers on the ice, which is typically consistent: under-rotated jumps done with unorthodox technique and sloppy 2Axel attempts.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here are a few articles:

Bitter cold greet skaters at Canadian champs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=58183&vkey=ice_news

Who's-who on the other side of the gate---Backstage at the Canadian Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090115&content_id=58219&vkey=ice_news

Dube, Davison add new twist at national championships: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Dube+Davison+twist/1182012/story.html

Chan comfortable being ‘The One’: http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=1181760

Hill, Poirier having double the fun: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/sports/story.html?id=1181831

Last edited:

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Just have a quick glimpse of the OD while working at the same time…

Ralph/Hill had a decent skate scoring the best OD with 51.82, second overall with the last group still to come.

Gerrad/Pelletier still need some time to jell, but overall pleasing. I found Dougherty a more powerful partner, anyone knows why they split?

Hann-McCurdy/Coreno have better edge quality than other teams at times, but losts of sloppy moments you can pick on. Coreno needs to work on posture and clean up some toe-pick skating. They both need to smooth out things in between moves. Scored 50.00, currently first with combined score.

amateur

Final Flight
To me, announcing the Worlds team after 4CC doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, other than perhaps for the ladies if it should come down to a Leung/Phaneuf duel, or should some toher lady surprisingly step up... (but frankly, I tend to think that if Phaneuf cannot beat Leung outright at this stage, then send Leung!)

Making the assumption that ALL of the top skaters will get to go to 4CC - and i don't see how SC could refuse any of the medalists (and therefore leading Olympic team contenders) the chance to compete at such a major event held at home and at the future olympic venue... and so, in the case of the Men, for example, there would be nobody to compete for the "last spot". In pairs, it could potentially be a test skate for L/A, I suppose, which would be arguably justifiable - but will they be recovered by then? (and if they go, do they then get turned down for worlds if they don't attain a specific score, sending our bronze medal team to Worlds without any significant international experience?). And in Dance, it seems highly improbable that team #3 would be consdered to be in a skate-off with Crone/Poirier...

It also seems highly unlikely to me (though what do I know?!) that any of the top skaters would want to turn down the event for more training time, thereby opening up opportunities for others to compete for spots on the team

I'm pretty sure that in reality, the team will be unofficially "decided" after Nationals

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
To me, announcing the Worlds team after 4CC doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, other than perhaps for the ladies if it should come down to a Leung/Phaneuf duel, or should some toher lady surprisingly step up... (but frankly, I tend to think that if Phaneuf cannot beat Leung outright at this stage, then send Leung!)

Making the assumption that ALL of the top skaters will get to go to 4CC - and i don't see how SC could refuse any of the medalists (and therefore leading Olympic team contenders) the chance to compete at such a major event held at home and at the future olympic venue... and so, in the case of the Men, for example, there would be nobody to compete for the "last spot". In pairs, it could potentially be a test skate for L/A, I suppose, which would be arguably justifiable - but will they be recovered by then? (and if they go, do they then get turned down for worlds if they don't attain a specific score, sending our bronze medal team to Worlds without any significant international experience?). And in Dance, it seems highly improbable that team #3 would be consdered to be in a skate-off with Crone/Poirier...

It also seems highly unlikely to me (though what do I know?!) that any of the top skaters would want to turn down the event for more training time, thereby opening up opportunities for others to compete for spots on the team

I'm pretty sure that in reality, the team will be unofficially "decided" after Nationals

I think it is a really good idea to not announce the team until after Four Continents. Like you said, there will be the Leung/Phaneuf decision as well as the decision to see if Langlois and Hay are well enough to compete. It also gives Skate Canada the chance to see who can perform their absolute best in the Olympic venue with the added pressure of making the world team (even though some spots will be guaranteed).

stevlin

On the Ice
Vaughn Chipeur's sp

I'm an American so I do not get the Canadians on tv. Can someone please put Vaughn's sp and lp on you tube? I heard that Vaughn Chipeur came in 2nd after the short program. I saw Patrick's sp and it was terrific. Thank you. :)