Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here! | Golden Skate

Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Elvin Walker has written a preview of all the Senior Grand Prix events for Golden Skate: http://goldenskate.com/articles/2008/gpf_preview.shtml
And there is a thread -in this section- discussing his predictions, please do not discuss them in here. :)

Considering the event starts soon I am helping Doris with a semi-preview. Be nice, I do not share her talent for this!

The men's event this season on the GP circuit has been... *interesting* to say the least. Chalk it up to slippery ice, or skate gods, or even those dang magic paper gods that seem awfully consistent in our predictions thread... but this season has been anything but predictable.

I'll preview the men based on the order of qualification.

1. Patrick Chan CAN - one of two men to really have a break out season. His short program is to "Tango de los Exilados" Can he keep up the momentum?

2. Takahiko Kozuka JPN - the other surprise of the season, he's certainly gotten a lot of attention on here. His short program is to the song "Take Five" and was choreographed by Mathman's Yuka Sato( :love: ). How will he stack up with the more seasoned skaters?

3. Johnny WEIR USA - He's skating to "On the Wings of Time" and if he skates the program like so many believe he can it'll be one heck of a ride. Will he give the rest of the field a run for their money, or will the magic paper gods and their predictions prevail?

4. Brian JOUBERT FRA - After a rough debut, Brian rallied in his second event. Will his short program to "Rise" help him rise to the top? It certainly did at CoR!

5 Jeremy ABBOTT USA - So many knew Abbott's skating could land him here, it was just a question of if he knew. Now we'll see his "Adagio in G Minor" on the first of the big stages. Can he hold up under the new found pressure?

6 Tomas VERNER CZE - Total wild card, Tomas, but this seems to be the season of wild cards. Will his "Minor swing to Django" keep him in the running with the major league? Here's hoping for one heck of a competition!

Like I said, I'm not Doris... and you're dealing with a college student brain on finals week (I've been writing papers all weekend and last week... I'm drained!):laugh:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Play by play.

Thanks, Buttercup. I feel that I often learn new expressions here.

I heard that Verner was absent from a national comp due to illness or something. So I am worried that he may not be ready here. Tomas's challenge in SP would be the newly incorporated quad combo this season. So far he hasn't succeeded it yet, even though he landed a solo quad in his LPs. Yet, his program per se is superb with a lot of interesting choreos. Quite entertaining, which would produce good PCS.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1. Patrick Chan CAN - one of two men to really have a break out season. His short program is to The Police's "Roxanne."

That was his SP at Liberty, but he has changed it to "Tango de los Exilados"
by Walter Taieb.

Will he give the rest of the field a run for their money, or will the magic paper gods and their predictions prevail?

:chorus: I will NEVER get bored of that joke!

Will his short program to "Rise" help him rise to the top?

Ha ha, cute. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the help (I knew it was CoR... no idea why I typed NHK lol) :) I'm totally brain dead.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for doing this! (Good job, too, especially when you're going to school and busy with finals :rock::rock:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks, D, it means a lot... :)

So thankful I'm taking next semester/year off... :)

lmarie086

Medalist
Great job, Tonichelle! Especially considering you have finals! My brain is so mushy full of school stuff right now I can't even relax when I sleep; I had chemistry running through my head the entire night before that exam.

I hope they all skate well!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks lmarie... I'm finished for the semester... turned everything in yesterday... *sigh* it's so good (but I must have been more stressed than I thought because my body is rebelling - head cold, achy back... the works!)

jyshin

On the Ice
They are going to use high-speed camera to catch wrong edges. Sounds like it was specially brought in for this competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Men's SP warm up starting soon. Good luck gentlemen. This should be
exciting!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Who are the paper gods? I don't get the ref, can someone explain?:)

In the predictions thread, ppl started to do a draw using small pieces of paper that have each skater's name. Since Men's field is so extremely unpredictable, they thought that the paper gods might do a better job in prediction. Whatever destiny the paper gods determined, each draw seemed to make sense:yes: Johnny happened to be placed the last by a couple of paper gods (but he was the first in another paper god's prediction).

berrycute

On the Ice
In the predictions thread, ppl started to do a draw using small pieces of paper that have each skater's name. Since Men's field is so extremely unpredictable, they thought that the paper gods might do a better job in prediction. Whatever destiny the paper god determined, each draw seemed to make sense:yes:

Ah OK thanks!:)