The body knows everything | Golden Skate

The body knows everything

Bennett

Record Breaker
This is actually a title of a collection of short stories by a Japanese famous novel writer, Banana Yoshimoto. The underlying, cohesive theme is about embodied experiences --- memories, natural instinct, and insights that the body tells you.

I feel that the body can remember a lot of feelings. I had skated for a long time ago and I still remember many feelings, such as the bright lights on the ceiling during the layback, a mental image of an air plane during the camel, a drilling feeling during the stand spin, the smell on the ice, the mist on the rink early in the morning or late at night, or the annoying noises on the ice that hocky players made.

I still love watching FS. Somehow, I barely get those feelings as I watch performances on TV. I get those feelings back to me only when I have a dream of skating myself. These feel so much more real and powerful than the beautiful virtual realities mediated by TV. Although I had never been good at FS, I still treasure those silly, trivial feelings, which seems to be nurturing my love to FS. I'd be interested in seeing if these would continue to affect me decades later (which I suppose would do, because there seem to be many older posters here, who seemed to have skated when they were young:yes:).

Here is my two cents:

If you love watching FS, go to the rink and try it yourself, and then you'll find yourself attached to it a lot more at a bodily level.:)