• the country side with enormous amount of land

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • beach front property with a view of the ocean

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rtureck

Final Flight
Do you prefer to live in a high rise apartment building somewhere downtown with easy commute (maybe even walking ) to work, or a house in the suburbs with the back to woods etc

I have done both. I generally prefer the house in the suburb with back to woods etc until a hurricane hits. The back to woods, little stream at back of property kind of stuff become a liability (trees falling on the house, the stream can flood) .

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'll take the country! But I also would not mind beach front with a view of the ocean. I used to live in Victoria - I have to admit a view of the ocean is a great thing. I was torn between the two choices.

I definitely do not like the "concrete jungle." As for the suburbs - that's where I live - I hate it.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Interesting question - I like less densely populated areas that are closer to nature, although, I live in San Francisco. That being said, with the number of people (in the Bay Area at least) I feel that high density housing is preferrable to suburban sprawl. The way California is going maybe San Francisco and LA will meet in the future! It's a difficult problem. As the population of California grows, the housing supply has to meet the demand, but who knows what the state will look like if everyone is looking to have their own stand alone house with a yard. Not to be able to have that is counter the 'American Dream,' however, I fear the consequences.

mari60

On the Ice
Hi, I want my country home to have lake in the back yard! Having lived close to the ocean all my life,north-east coast, very cold water. Warm water would be nice. mari

Apartment person. Very much so, especially in NYC. Love the village feeling of the neighborhoods.

BTW, check out the following article, "As Suburbs Grow, So Do Waistlines" from The New York Times, Sept. 4, 2003 at:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~whitelaw/ch9/suburbs

But highrise buildings are a giant pain during blackouts, lol.
Rgirl

Sadie

On the Ice
I would definitly take the house in the countryside with lots and lots of land. Preferably a house in the west of Ireland :) *daydreaming*

Kara Bear

Final Flight
At this point in my life, I want the city. But when I get older I want a house in the country with lots of room for the little bears to run around.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The most important thing about a house to me is the view. As a result, I have purchased (and sold) over my lifetime a number of shambly shacks with great views:
1. Trailer in Kodiak AK, view of ocean
2. Wood heated log cabin in Underhill Ctr, VT. Brook in back yard, great view of Mt. Mansfield
3. Nasty little cape in Colchester, VT. View of Lake Champlain
4. 1 Bedroom on slope condo, Bolton VT. mountain view while mt. was in receivership.
5. Delapidated summer camp on nice little lake in Holmes, NY. Wonderful view, especially in autumn. Huge renovation project
5. Falling down turn of 19th to 20th century house on corner where river meets ocean in Groton, CT. Absolutely superb view and 3 sided porch to look at it with. Submarines, 3 masters, everything in between goes by. Rest of house is a disaster.

Yes, I like this last place best. But I have never done a loft with a city view-too expensive. But I would like to try that next.

If you are looking for these little hideaways with views for small
prices, be prepared to spend a great deal of time looking for them. Enlist the help of a good real estate agent especially if you don't live in the area. Be prepared to ignore smells, bad decoration, overgrown landscaping. Be creative about how to counter the effects of bad construction, termites, and powder post beetles. However, they are out there. My husband and I succeeded in selling all the little trash heaps above for a profit. And we have had great days looking at the views-which is more than you can say for other investments.

So don't give up! Your dream place is out there.

dpp

Sadie

On the Ice
Hey! I'm from the Groton area too! I live in Ledyard. Nice to see a neighbor here :) :)