Thread: I passed my first Test!

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar

I passed my first [and next few] Tests!

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this thread is rather pointless, I just wanted to share the good news that I just passed my STARSkate (Skate Canada test stream) Preliminary Elements test! I took up figure skating in Steptember 2006, so this took a little more than 2 years. I now get my own solo over the Christmas break and I'll be starting the Axel soon!

So, to everyone who competes and/or tests, I you as I was so nervous during my test that my coach kept telling me just to breathe LOL. and well, obviously, I did the most amazing scratch spin I'd ever done (even the other coach there commented on how great it was!), and I usually travel on it, except that the shock made me miss the following 3 spins. My backspin and forward sit barely passed, and well my coach and I knew I couldn't do a camel spin anyways. Any tips for that one?

-Kypma
    Last edited by Kypma; 05-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Custom Title
    Congratulations!!!!

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Congrats!!! Passing a test is such a great feeling, so exciting. Be proud of yourself and live it up!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Congratulations The first test is always the worst, they get less nerve racking the more you do.

Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    Congratulations The first test is always the worst, they get less nerve racking the more you do.
    Thanks everyone! And I hope the comment above from silver.blades holds for the majority of people, because if testing stays this stressful I'll be dreading them months ahead of time!

-Kypma

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    How wonderful~!
    I just started skating xD
    So I really look up to people who pass tests. I hope you are successful in your upcoming tests!!!

CongratsKeep up the good work.

YAY!!! I just passed my Preliminary Solo yesterday morning, and my three Preliminary Dances (Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Baby Blues) today. So far, the most nerve-wracking test would have to be the solo -- elements I knew I could just redo it if I missed it, and dances well my coach could keep me on pattern, but for the solo you're all alone and... wow to everyone who competes!!

I'll be testing Preliminary skills in October when I get back to skating and probably my Jr Bronze elements in December. I also should get some dances done over the summer just because they're quite straightforward. My coaches have all this testing scheduled up for me already!

-Kypma

Rinkside

Hello

Congratulations and all the best for all the other rounds perform well,,,,

Custom Title
    Congratulations!! Also, you have just learned a very valuable lesson that will serve you well in the future: An element done really well can be just as distracting as a fall! LOL!

For the camel spin, bend your spinning leg deeply before pushing off onto the entrance edge and really take your time on the entrance edge. I think the most common problem with the camel is trying to pull up into the spin too soon.
    Last edited by vlaurend; 08-20-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Way to go, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I'll be testing Preliminary skills in October when I get back to skating and probably my Jr Bronze elements in December. I also should get some dances done over the summer just because they're quite straightforward. My coaches have all this testing scheduled up for me already!
    So, no dances so far, but I've successfully passed my Preliminary Skills and Junior Bronze elements on time according to the plan, so we're getting somewhere! I have to agree with Silver.Blades, though, it is easier the second time around (for the elements) because I knew what to expect...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of support, and may you all enjoy success in your own skating (and non-skating as well!) endeavours this Christmas season!

Congrats on passing your first test! I know how nerves can get in the way, again congratulations