A message from the Kerrs | Golden Skate

A message from the Kerrs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are writing to you all in the hopes that you could help us clear up any misconceptions about the level of funding we receive from our association.

We felt the need to do this after Tatianna Tarasova was the latest to imply on Russian TV that we receive millions of dollars in funding. She was not the first person to make this statement. We can categorically say that this is not the case.

WeI receive 70,000 pounds worth of funding per year (the award is officially 90,000, but 20,000 is immediately swallowed up by our association for the salary of the Performance Director and for the running of the office). The funding itself comes from UKsport which funds elite level sport in the UK.

Our funding has to cover all of our training costs including: coaching, ice time, costumes, travel to competitions,hotel accommodations, choreography, physio, video analysis, personal trainer etc.

We felt obliged to make this statement as we felt that this 'myth' had to be nipped in the bud. We also did not want anyone to be under the impression that we had somehow outspent our fellow competitors- many of whom are very well funded.

We hope you can help us in clearing this up.

Yours sincerely,

John and Sinead

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Nice for Sinead and John to come forward with this. I completely understand what they are trying to say and I support them 100%

Good luck, Sinead and John. Hope to see you guys at Europeans and Worlds.

libby

Match Penalty
I love the Kerrs. :rock: I am hoping they can make a big splash at Worlds this year - it would be fantastic if they could medal, although I know it will be tough with all of the more "established" dance teams to compete against.

70,000 British pounds is over $100,000 American - that is pretty great funding from a skating federation, and has probably caused some jealousy among other skaters and coaches, leading to the silly "millions of dollars" rumors (but really, TAT should know better!).

Even the very top American skaters in Envelope A only receive about $15,000 per season (a drop in the bucket, considering the cost of coaching, ice time, costuming, equipment, etc. adds up to at least $100,000 per year) and some of the other national federations give even less. But it is nice that John and Sinead are well taken care of so they can concentrate on their skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the USFSA has more top skaters to take care of than the British federation.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I was thinking the same, there is just absolutely nobody else in GB with even a slight chance of a medal - not even at regular Grand Prix events. The state of German figure skating is actually better than the state of British figure skating, and that says a lot.

But it is sad that there are rumours like that and that it is talked about that on TV etc.

Last edited:

libby

Match Penalty

Well, obviously. I didn't really think that needed pointing out, but I wasn't implying any particular reason for the disparity in funding or saying that USFS should give $100,000 to each of its top skaters, either. Just saying it costs a lot to be a competitive skater, and the Kerrs are fortunate to be so well supported by their federation.

I don't understand TT for saying that. The Soviet Skaters with which she was extremely involved, got private housing and meals and free coaching and use of ice. That was the Soviet system. There was no struggle financially for the skaters. In fact, by the standards of the average soviet citizen the elite athletes were treated as special citizens of the Party.

I am convinced that China gives the same perks to its elite skaters.

Japan and Korea - Don't know.

There is no budget for athletics in the US and most likely in Canada, but private enterprises may issue some funding for struggling athletes of their choice. (Don't count on it.)

I would like to see the statement that TT suggested that the Kerrs receive 80-90 thousand pounds for their training, and so what? The UK has a national funding for sport (UKsport).

It's the kind of rumour that the judges will form a poor opinion of. Maybe that's what is keeping the Kerr's back with the 'also rans'.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, obviously. I didn't really think that needed pointing out, but I wasn't implying any particular reason for the disparity in funding or saying that USFS should give $100,000 to each of its top skaters, either. Just saying it costs a lot to be a competitive skater, and the Kerrs are fortunate to be so well supported by their federation.

They are very well supported by their federation but not in any way financially. NISA does not have a pot to piss in as they say over here. NISA are just very lucky to have such a talented dance team in the form of the Kerrs who have the ability to jump through the ridiculous hoops that NISA put in the way of skaters in the form of talent ID criteria, requirements for passing of junior and senior test, selection process for competitions based on whether you are named to the GB squad which is based on age (and not age limits) ability to land triples and scores at competitions NISA name. Not filling the JGP spots for the JGP hosted in sheffield is pretty awful really.

The Kerrs receive their funding (as they clearly state in their statement) from UKsport - a funding body that receives most (or possibly all) of it's money from the National Lottery. It has nothing to do with NISA and IIRC is purely results based.

The Kerrs have an awful lot to be proud of, but their federation is not one of them.

I was thinking the same, there is just absolutely nobody else in GB with even a slight chance of a medal - not even at regular Grand Prix events. The state of German figure skating is actually better than the state of British figure skating, and that says a lot.

While I do agree with you about the state of British skating we do still have Jenna McKorkell who was in fourth place after the SP in Skate Cananda. She did drop to 7th overall but she was 8th at Europeans last year which means we can send a second lady this season.....though quite who that might be is beyond me because our senior ladies are a mess and the best juniors can land maybe a 2A and one triple. Still i felt I had to cheer for Jenna!

Ant

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
There's a pair team (Kemp & King?) from Breat Britian too no?

There is indeed, they are coached by the Suideks. Kemp&King have had very little competition at home being originally the only junior pair team at nationals and then the only senior team at nationals. This year there should be another two teams at the senior level to challenge them and help develop them.

This season they have successfully landed two throw triples in their LP (toe-loop and loop). No sign of the triple twist yet though, and while they started their season at a senior B (was it Nebelhorn?) finally attempting SBS double axels - both attempts in the SP and LP were downgraded and they've gone back to SBS doule flips in the SP and adding the SBS double loops in the LP.

They came 6th in a field of 15 at Europeans 2008 so Britain has a second pairs spot for 2009. Yesterday NISA annouced that the second pair going to Europeans with be Erica Risseeuw and Robert Paxton. I think Erica might be from the US?

Ant

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Too bad they were placed in this position. It's really nobody's business and it seems it was used as an excuse to explain why the beat another team which is pretty petty.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm glad that they have enough funds to keep skating because I just love their creative programs to death :rock::rock::rock:

Thank you, Kerrs, for your amazing programs :love:

Love ya, Sinead and John! :rock:

But...if you really want to get the rumor mongers' goats, just put a bland smile on your face and let them guess themselves silly. It's nobody's business but your own how much money you have or don't have.

Personally, I hope you have tons. (I mean, tonnes.) :)

nylynnr

On the Ice
I think part of the issue with the low-key but ongoing talk in the figure skating world about the Kerrs' funding is that it received a fair amount of publicity in UK publications, and different numbers -- all far higher than the 70,000 pounds mentioned in the Kerrs' message -- appeared in print in various newspapers.

If I recall correctly, UKSport awarded figure skating about 500,000 pounds "for the development" of the Kerrs. Now, also IIRC, it was never clarified -- in the press, at least -- what exactly this meant.

Was it 500,000 all at once? (Not bloody likely.) Did it come with strings attached, i.e., did the Kerrs have to produce specific results? (Probably.) Was it only awarded upon submission of specific receipts for training expenses? (Sounds likely.) Did other figure skaters get any of it? (I don't know, and if not, I'll bet that's where some talk may be emanating.)

I think the publicity surrounding the award -- BTW, IIRC skeleton racing, curling and paraOlympians got similar if not larger awards -- and the fact that some folks may think "pounds" are worth two or more dollars apiece, coupled with good old-fashioned jealousy and gossip, has caused stories of "millions" to persist.

Well, if I were the Kerrs I'd tell Mrs. Tarasova, yeah, we got a million bucks, what you got?

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think part of the issue with the low-key but ongoing talk in the figure skating world about the Kerrs' funding is that it received a fair amount of publicity in UK publications, and different numbers -- all far higher than the 70,000 pounds mentioned in the Kerrs' message -- appeared in print in various newspapers.

If I recall correctly, UKSport awarded figure skating about 500,000 pounds "for the development" of the Kerrs. Now, also IIRC, it was never clarified -- in the press, at least -- what exactly this meant.

Was it 500,000 all at once? (Not bloody likely.) Did it come with strings attached, i.e., did the Kerrs have to produce specific results? (Probably.) Was it only awarded upon submission of specific receipts for training expenses? (Sounds likely.) Did other figure skaters get any of it? (I don't know, and if not, I'll bet that's where some talk may be emanating.)

I think the publicity surrounding the award -- BTW, IIRC skeleton racing, curling and paraOlympians got similar if not larger awards -- and the fact that some folks may think "pounds" are worth two or more dollars apiece, coupled with good old-fashioned jealousy and gossip, has caused stories of "millions" to persist.

I'm speculating since one seemingly can't trust what's been written ,but I would think that the £500k award would have been for the four year Olympic cycle leading to Vancouver - hence the timing of their coaching change etc. Reading John and Sinead's message clearly they're using up to £80K of that to fund the NISA position they mention (pity that the role doesn't have to jump through the same hoops John and Sinead have had to in order to get that funding :laugh:), so I would expect that the majority of what is left goes to the Kerrs. I always thought the fudning was specifically for them based on their results rather than for "figure skating". Though it would explain why the NISA position is funded from that money.

Well, if I were the Kerrs I'd tell Mrs. Tarasova, yeah, we got a million bucks, what you got?

She might reply - a million bucks worth of furs!

Ant

nylynnr

On the Ice
I do think the figure I mentioned earlier is correct -- I looked up the announcement made by UK Sport at the time. It was after Torino. So there's no doubt the Kerrs are well-funded, but not to the tune of the "millions" Tarasova evidently spoke of on Russian TV.

Frankly, I do not think Tarasova would have made the comment on TV if the Kerrs had turned to her for some choreography or "polishing," thus giving her a piece of these funds.

I do think the figure I mentioned earlier is correct -- I looked up the announcement made by UK Sport at the time. It was after Torino. So there's no doubt the Kerrs are well-funded, but not to the tune of the "millions" Tarasova evidently spoke of on Russian TV.

Frankly, I do not think Tarasova would have made the comment on TV if the Kerrs had turned to her for some choreography or "polishing," thus giving her a piece of these funds.
I can't imagine TT saying that. If it were on the radio, I am sure it was out of context. I don't think TT is rumormonger.

The more important issue is, so what if the Kerrs do get a stipend from the UK government? Isn't that the norm for most Feds?

nylynnr

On the Ice
Joesitz -- Actually, yes, I believe TT did say something to that effect. Certainly other coaches are talking of it.

IMO it wasn't necessarily "rumor-mongering," it was an exaggeration, and maybe said in an unkind fashion, but there is a grain of truth. The Kerrs are funded not through their Fed, but through UKSport, because UK has made a commitment to better Olympic results. I do not think many other figure skaters receive this much from either their Fed or another governmental or quasi-governmental organization -- I think in Japan, Korea and lately Canada, corporations step up and sponsor skaters. (Joannie Rochette recently got a sponsorship from a cold medication company.) And as everyone has said, the more training funds skaters can get, as long as they are well spent, the better.