Music change | Golden Skate

Music change

jyshin

On the Ice
I've been trying to find video clips from Miki's practice of a new program here. I will let you know as soon I hear any buzz about Saint-Saens.:cool:

casken

On the Ice
The judges preferred Nakano's version of Giselle at SA by a noticeable margin on the PCS, so this was probably the right move.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I will let you know as soon I hear any buzz about Saint-Saens.:cool:
Thanks. :) Looking forward to hearing any news.

Morozov seems good at adapting and editing different music choices to his choreo that is already in form, so there's possibility that this change is true.

jyshin

On the Ice
OK, SBS evening news confirmed that Miki rehearsed her 'new' long program today.
The clip that they showed was too short to tell any changes though. :unsure:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very interesting. She seemed to enjoy Giselle, but maybe for PR reasons did not want a "Battle of the Giselles" with Yukuri. Also, Yukuri's interpritation was better, so Miki loses in a side by side comparison.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Music Change

Giselle is beautiful graceful music. Ando is not graceful so I don't understand how it was thought she could pull it off. The comparison to Yukuri makes Ando look even more clumsy, IMHO. Ando needs jumping music--how about Jumpin Jack Flash?:rofl:

Dizzy

Okami

On the Ice
I thought Miki was great in her LP at Cup of China (and so did Chris and Nicky). She has her moments of clumsiness, but considering that her shoulder can pop out even as he is turning in her sleep, she is doing quite well indeed.
But you are of different opinion, dizzydi7, and I could come to respect that... I'll tell you what: let's meet and I'll rip your arm of its socket. Then we'll patch it back, and you'll dance to Giselle. If you pull a more graceful Giselle than Miki, I'll totally admit that you were right. :clap:

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I thought Miki was great in her LP at Cup of China (and so did Chris and Nicky). She has her moments of clumsiness, but considering that her shoulder can pop out even as he is turning in her sleep, she is doing quite well indeed.
But you are of different opinion, dizzydi7, and I could come to respect that... I'll tell you what: let's meet and I'll rip your arm of its socket. Then we'll patch it back, and you'll dance to Giselle. If you pull a more graceful Giselle than Miki, I'll totally admit that you were right. :clap:

:clap:

:agree: Thank you Okami

I would like to see that as well.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With all of Miki's injuries, it's really amazing what she can still do.

And as you said, she has her moments of clumsiness, same as almost every other skater out there.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Sorry if my comment was insulting to Ando and her fans. But honestly, even before her shoulder injury, Ando was not a graceful skater. Her claim to fame has been her outstanding jumping ability.

Dizzy

sorcerer

Final Flight
Well, I would request graceful conversation when talking about grace.

IMO, in her LP tomorrow Miki will interpret Miki herself on ice ... her ups and downs, her agony, what she aspires.
I'm pretty sure on this, because that's what she had intended to express through Giselle.

PS: To perceive grace one needs to understand grace and its various resonance in various forms.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Random thoughts on the new music

This is a strong piece of music. I think that this music underscores her powerful skating and strong jumps very well. I like the cool sharpness. I also like the cool colors in her costume.

But I personally feel that Giselle at CoC was more interesting to watch because it had a lot of changes in the music and expressions. In contrast, the new music is relatively monotonic.

Yet, it might work better with jumps, on which she really needs to focus right now. If you skate to Giselle you really have to spend a lot of time dancing and picking up nuances. If you focus on jumps as she did at SA, Giselle could look very empty. But this music is a lot stronger and goes better with power and flow. Even simple crossovers can look nice because they generate speed and power.

I think that this music basically suits her style very well. I would have wished if she had tried something newer and more challenging because this one looks rather familiar and perhaps would fall into her comfort zone as well. Yet, I would rather see skaters skating to the types of music that match their styles than trying out something that aren't flattering on them because their careers are so short. In particular, she has had little time to work on this. So I guess that it was a nice choice for her.

I hope that she will have enough time to get use to the program.

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
I think the Organ Symphony wasn't yet as good as Giselle at Cup of China, but it was better than Giselle at Skate America. At SA I thought that the music cut was a bit too dull, but the program looked much better when skated better.
I think Miki simply needs more time to "get" the choreo she had just a couple of weeks to work on the program (not to mention Morozov was probably a bit distracted with all his other pupils competing at CoR and NHK). I'm sure the program will look more polished next time. :)

ETA: I actually thought it was a sort of new approach for Miki. She usually went for exotic or bombastic music; this one is more eerie with a bit of gothic feel to it. It actually reminded me a bit of YuNa's SP - including the costume and some of the gestures. :)

ETA2: Though now when I think of it maybe it reminds me also a bit of Miki's older program/s - from Worlds 2004 or 2005, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't watched them in a long time, though, so I forgot which one it was... I need to rewatch them. :)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Pardon me that it was CoC not NHK. I corrected it in my original post. Yeah, I liked her CoC Giselle and thought it unfortunate that she abandoned it. But as you said, this new program would look better next times.

Last edited: