Dick Button

L

lilicedancer

Re: Dick Button

In between, it's funny when he uses words like "spiffy" and "humdinger."

R

Raelynne

He annoys me sometimes but overall, I love him.

C

CB1AB2

I don't love him or hate him either so I guess that would mean I like him.

L

LADSKATER

I do not love or hate the man. He has been around figure skating so long, I tollerate him. Probably, something Toller himself might say!

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

For want of a better commentator, I like him.

I am not overhwelmed with the whole ABC set-up. Too much gush and bash; too much dumb interviews; Silly demonstrations; and most of all: THE EDITING IS HORRIBLE. WHERE ARE ALL THE SKATERS I DON'T SEE!!

Why not have a skating special where a small biography is presented on say, 3 or 4 skaters; have each one demonstrate a skating move; give out the statistics of accomplishments; ask them some pertinent questions; and let them skate a serious routine. Kind of like a Barbara Walters Special.

Then during the competitions: just keep the comments quiet like in golf and raise the voice only on something unique.

Joe

D

dlksk8fan

I wonder what would happen if what was televised was only the skating without all the fluff pieces. Would we actually see more skaters?

P

proudskatemom

Dick Button

I have to say, I thought I couldn't stand him...but when he is not there I miss him. He is just so unlike other commentators with their PC remarks. Barb Underhill was like that too...although a little more refrained. I think that is why her contract was not renewed.

J

Joesitz

Don't forget there is a Producer and a Director for each TV show. Since Dick is getting on in years, we have to look towards Peter who will obey the Producer and Director if he wants to keep his job.

Joe

W

WindSpirit5

I don't love or hate Uncle Dick. I guess you can say I like him. I don't have problem with him, if he babbles too much I just switch him off (in my head), like I often do when someone talks too much. I usually don't even acknowledge what commentators say. Lucky me. ;)

B

BronzeisGolden02

I love him

I love Dick, he always says the things I feel but would be affraid would hurt someone's feelings! He is aging, though, and makes a few mistakes (the wrong jumps, etc.), but that is only slightly annoying. Overall, I think he is good at what he does and he isn't affraid to say exactly what he thinks. Peggy is another story. I like her as well, but she sometimes makes some random, inexplicable statements.

J

Joesitz

Can't think of a replacement yet.

I do like Nancy Kerrigan. She's very astute at watch she's watching and reports it like it is. She has a nice calm way about her and her comments do not get in the way of the skating. And she is contemporary so that she is very much aware of the innovative moves that have come up and are still coming up.

But, when Dick goes I still can't think of a replacement if it must be a male.

Joe

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">If he does have to be replaced someday, please let it be by someone with a deep, calming voice. If I have to listen to Scott's high pitched whine during every competition, I'll pull my hair out by its red roots!</span> :eek:

S

Show 42

Figure skating commentary would not be the same without him......He is simply "The Best".....42

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>He is simply "The Best"[/quote]
IF you like being talked down to... not to mention get confused because Dick can't be sure if it was a double axel or a flying camel spin :rolleyes: :lol: