Sandra Bezic keeps up the dialogue | Golden Skate

Sandra Bezic keeps up the dialogue

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=57253&vkey=ice_news

She is best known for creating programs for Olympic gold medalists such as Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi and Tara Lipinski, but award-winning choreographer Sandra Bezic has also been doing TV commentary for nearly two decades. There aren't many skating competitions on American television these days (of course you can see them on icenetwork.com), but when skating does hit the airwaves, Bezic is there to offer her insight into the sport.

I always like Sandra Bezic's commentary because she gives the sudience insight into music and choreography, rather than just technical elements.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I like the programs she choreographs. Unfortunately, she has the tendency to be really biased in her commentaries, so much so that it gets annoying.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Pray tell me, who isn't biased in their commentaries?

Nicky Slater and Chris Howarth on British Eurosport. While they do cheer for the British teams, they will always neutrally point out errors in their programs e.g. John's tendency to struggle with the twizzles etc.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Pray tell me, who isn't biased in their commentaries?
Assuming that was her working for NBC, I think what she did in SLC went well past biased, to the point of being unprofessional.

And as Ant pointed out, the Eurosport team is wonderful. If needed, they point out the problems the UK skaters have; and they are positive about skaters who compete for other countries. They usually find something good to say about most skaters, and if they don't, it's never presented as a giant conspiracy.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Agree with Buttercup, Ant, etc. Surely it's quite, quite clear there's a continuum. One would have to be not human to be completely unbiased, but there are indeed those who can recognize their biases and attempt to compensate for them. I'd add P.J. Kwong, Canadian commentator, to that list. She clearly supports the Canadian skaters, but I don't think I've seen a performance yet that she didn't find _something_ good to say about, while also pointing out in a nondramatic way the shortcomings, too.

Compared to someone like Scott Hamilton, whose commentating I've come to LOATHE. He gets easily hysterical (as evidenced by the high-pitched outbursts), predicts victories while the skaters are still on the ice (so he can scream wuzrobbed when that skater doesn't win), and blatantly acts like skaters he wants to sign for SOI are the only contenders. And again, plays the wuzrobbed card if said SOI-potential skaters don't place well.

Agree with mycelticblessing that Bezic tends toward the Hamilton end of the continuum, just IMO.

All that said, I am glad when people such as Bezic find different ways to stay involved for many years with a sport they obviously love. Similarly, I love seeing former competitors popping up as technical callers or other officials.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Bring back Paul Wylie for commentating, please! oh, and Terry Gannon and Susie Wynn too! (those 3 should be doing the online commentary for icenetwork instead of none at all...wtf?!)

casken

On the Ice
Bring back Paul Wylie for commentating, please! oh, and Terry Gannon and Susie Wynn too! (those 3 should be doing the online commentary for icenetwork instead of none at all...wtf?!)

Wow, I *adore* no commentary. The only commentary I can stand is the Brits on Eurosport. Oh and please god no, no Susie Wynn. She has never said anything of substance in all the years I've been forced to listen to her.

She blabbed through Delobel&Schoendelder's FD at all 5 events that aired on US TV last season each time just to say she thinks they are dependable. Wow, really insightful there Susie. I really needed to be informed of your personal opinion of them five times rather than hearing the music that they are actually skating to. She did have the respect to keep her trap shut through B&A and D&W's FDs of course.

As for Bezic, for my sanity I wish she would keep the dialog down, but she's already admitted in the past that NBC specifically pays her because they know she'll say stupid stuff.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
As for Bezic, for my sanity I wish she would keep the dialog down, but she's already admitted in the past that NBC specifically pays her because they know she'll say stupid stuff.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::chorus::chorus::chorus:

Now, truly, did Bezic actually admit "NBC specifically pays her because they know she'll say stupid stuff"? She may be smarter than I thought if she actually calls her own comments "stupid stuff." :laugh:

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Wow, I *adore* no commentary. The only commentary I can stand is the Brits on Eurosport. Oh and please god no, no Susie Wynn. She has never said anything of substance in all the years I've been forced to listen to her.

She blabbed through Delobel&Schoendelder's FD at all 5 events that aired on US TV last season each time just to say she thinks they are dependable. Wow, really insightful there Susie. I really needed to be informed of your personal opinion of them five times rather than hearing the music that they are actually skating to. She did have the respect to keep her trap shut through B&A and D&W's FDs of course.

LOL about Susie Wynn...I guess you have a point there, but one thing was her voice wasn't annoying like Scott Hamilton's lol.
I guess I like the commentary cause, I'm no skating expert, and alot of times I can't detect an underrotation, or wrong edge etc. and when a commentator mentions something a skater did or didn't do technically, it makes things easier to understand, then I can go back and rewatch the part they mentioned so perhaps I can know what to look for later on whenever I watch skating.

I really like the British Eurosport guys, but alot of times it seems they don't know a whole lot about the tech stuff and COP.

I guess I'm the only one who likes Sandra Bezik AND Suzie Wynn AND Scott Hamilton.

Scott cracks me up, especially when he is trying to say something encouraging about the second tier skaters.

"Ok, here goes Cindy Sparkle. She's in last place after the short, but if she can just land this opening...Aawwwwwww. Now here she goes for her...Aawwwww. Well, she can still...Aawwwwww."

If that is Bezic commenting on Icenetwork, then she is the ideal commentator while the skaters are in play. She rattles off the tricks quite handily and when the slomo comes on adds a bit of candor to her comments.

If not Bezic, then who is that?

samba

On the Ice
No, it's not Bezic. Somebody from the other post said it's PJ Kwong ( IN during FD and men's). I don't know her, she seems to bo OK. I can't stand Bezic and Wynn. I've never learned anything from Susie Wynn, she does not educate the non skater audience. I do not need to hear her rumbling during the competition if it's no substance. Bezic's voice was so annoying and she prob. worse than Wynn ;). Scott needs to control his "hyperness", his high pitch voice and his emotion :rofl:. I maybe the only one of the few that like uncle Dick. He was more informative than anyone, for a non skater like me. I learned so much from him. Paul Wylie is another of my fav., he's just right :love:

No, it's not Bezic. Somebody from the other post said it's PJ Kwong ( IN during FD and men's). I don't know her, she seems to bo OK. I can't stand Bezic and Wynn. I've never learned anything from Susie Wynn, she does not educate the non skater audience. I do not need to hear her rumbling during the competition if it's no substance. Bezic's voice was so annoying and she prob. worse than Wynn ;). Scott needs to control his "hyperness", his high pitch voice and his emotion :rofl:. I maybe the only one of the few that like uncle Dick. He was more informative than anyone, for a non skater like me. I learned so much from him. Paul Wylie is another of my fav., he's just right :love:
Ahhh, then it is PJ Kwong I like commenting. I did like voice over for Ladies, if that was her too.

All I get from Susie Wynn is that the couple are either "dancing close" or not, twizzles are very good, and "difficult move"

I always took Dick with a grain of salt. When he wasn't talking for the sake of talking, he usually pointed out something relevant.

Wylie is very careful what he says.

I grew up in NYC, and sports commentators were often caustic. Doesn' bother me. I do not like sugary commenting.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chris from British Eurosport is good.

Of the Americans, only Paul Wylie is consistently bearable.

The alternative Canadian female commentator, I don't know her name but she has a very soothing voice, is also good. Here is an example of one of her commentaries - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnLdL3-Ok . She actually talks a bit more than I normally recall in this instance.

Aside from that, all other skating commentators are a mixed bag or downright horrible.

casken

On the Ice
:rofl::rofl::rofl::chorus::chorus::chorus:

Now, truly, did Bezic actually admit "NBC specifically pays her because they know she'll say stupid stuff." She may be smarter than I thought if she actually calls her own comments "stupid stuff." :laugh:

The actual word she used was"controversial", not stupid.

I just translated. ;)

KayMil01

On the Ice
This is Pj Kwong.

Yeah, she's alright...doesn't explain much about the technical stuff though. Although she talks in accents alot...ya know for example, trying to pronounce say, a french skater's name(s) with a French accent ect...don't know why but it kinda gets on my nerves lol.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I guess I'm the only one who likes Sandra Bezik AND Suzie Wynn AND Scott Hamilton.

Wynn´s commentary I have not heard, but what I have heard from Bezik and Hamilton, I have liked very much.

During those wonderful days I was able to get Eurosport with British commentary I especially liked Chris and also Nicky very much, but not so much that from Simon.