Ladies LP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

mandykane21

Rinkside
There was exactly a discussion like that before Worlds, that Kim could ditch the Loop, that she would win anyway, even if she only had 6 Triples. I think some people already said back then that it's too risky to only plan with 6 Triples. But most were like, she will win anyway. And what happened? She missed the second Lutz - was left with 5 Triples. Had she done a Loop instead of a 2A she would have at least won the silver, perhaps even the Gold, depending on the GOE - the scores were that close.

If Yu Na hadn't made mistakes in the short, she proably would have won. She won the long after coming in 5th in the short, remember.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Medusa 3/3's are different from 3 salchows which are easly and from fixing the technique on one jump. If I understand from what I understand with Mao and the 3 salchow, Mao had the jump when she was younger, her timing was off on it when she practiced the quad...Then, she was so busy trying to keep her 3 axel and had in an injury int he offseason before 2007/2008 that practicing 3 salchow wasn't in the plans.

Don't get me wrong Mao definetly can do 3/3's... I wondered if Yu-na's 3 loop issues were psychological.... I actually think if that's the case and she can land it fine in practice perhaps Yu-na should attempt it in combination 3salchow/3loop?

harmy18

Rinkside
Medusa 3/3's are different from 3 salchows which are easly and from fixing the technique on one jump. If I understand from what I understand with Mao and the 3 salchow, Mao had the jump when she was younger, her timing was off on it when she practiced the quad...Then, she was so busy trying to keep her 3 axel and had in an injury int he offseason before 2007/2008 that practicing 3 salchow wasn't in the plans.

Don't get me wrong Mao definetly can do 3/3's... I wondered if Yu-na's 3 loop issues were psychological.... I actually think if that's the case and she can land it fine in practice perhaps Yu-na should attempt it in combination 3salchow/3loop?

solo 3S seems to be the most difficult jump to ASADA as far as I know, say she never landed any 3S since the end of 6.0 system. I was comfused by this for long time, I didn't believe she eventually lands 3S until GPF--still, I think the sucess of her 3S in NHK should due to good luck.

I don't think yuna should try 3s-3l combo, 3s-3t would be better for her considering loop combo is easier to be URed. I think she can try 3Lutz-3T.

bekalc

Record Breaker
solo 3S seems to be the most difficult jump to ASADA as far as I know, say she never landed any 3S since the end of 6.0 system. I was comfused by this for long time, I didn't believe she eventually lands 3S until GPF--still, I think the sucess of her 3S in NHK should due to good luck.

I don't think yuna should try 3s-3l combo, 3s-3t would be better for her considering loop combo is easier to be URed. I think she can try 3Lutz-3T.

A loop combo would be helpul for Yu-na COP wise.

She could do something like
3lutz/3toe
3salchow/3loop
double axel
2 axel/3toe/2loop
3flip
3lutz
double axel
(If she wanted she could do a double axel/3loop and then a 3flip/3toe or skip the double axel triple toe altogether and do a 3flip/3toe/2loop

But this type of arrangement would help her against Asada's HUGE 3 axel base values.

Last edited:

elanna

Rinkside
Hi, everyone! I am delighted Mao`s won, but while Yu-na I also really like it seems to me, or indeed Yu-na`s LP this year is very similar to the one M. Kwan skated at 2002 Olys, even their dresses are almost the same?

Wrlmy

Medalist
A loop combo would be helpul for Yu-na COP wise.

She could do something like
3lutz/3toe
3salchow/3loop
double axel
2 axel/3toe/2loop
3flip
3lutz
double axel
(If she wanted she could do a double axel/3loop and then a 3flip/3toe or skip the double axel triple toe altogether and do a 3flip/3toe/2loop

But this type of arrangement would help her against Asada's HUGE 3 axel base values.

omg 7 triples and 3 double axels? I never thought that would be possible. That's practically doing 3 3-3s.
But even if she bring a loop combo, it would be very prone to ur. Also, if you look at her 3-2-2 technique, she has almost zero prerotation on her double loop. Wish such technique, I doubt she can get enough spring to complete 3 revolutions.

SXTN

Final Flight
And I don't worry the least about Mao's 3-3s. The girl who managed to fix her Lutz in a way, that doesn't make it an obvious Flutz anymore, the girl who put the Salchow back in her programs - a jump she hasn't landed consistently since Junior days, the girl who managed to fix her sitspin and apparently stabilised her 3Axel enough to be able to do it in combination - and all that in just one off-season - that girl can also get a 3-3 back on ice, that will be ratified.

You know, lots of skaters talk a lot: I want to do this or that, I want to be consistent on this jump and learn this jump, I want to include 3 Quads, I want to do a 4Flip, I want to do a 3Axel. Mao Asada doesn't talk much anymore - Mao Asada just does it.

:clap: :clap::clap::clap:

I actually think if that's the case and she can land it fine in practice perhaps Yu-na should attempt it in combination 3salchow/3loop?

:laugh: of course ... and Carolina K should attempt 3 Axels.... :rofl:

bekalc

Record Breaker
omg 7 triples and 3 double axels? I never thought that would be possible. That's practically doing 3 3-3s.
But even if she bring a loop combo, it would be very prone to ur. Also, if you look at her 3-2-2 technique, she has almost zero prerotation on her double loop. Wish such technique, I doubt she can get enough spring to complete 3 revolutions.

3 double axels and 7 triples is possible if a skater is willing to do that many 3/3's. It may be the only way to combat Mao's 2 triple axels. I think a 3 loop, 3/3 is worth it in the long program, just not in the short...LOL!... But your right probably not possible for Yu-na, but if she can work on it, I think she should....

Heck she could just keep her 3flip/3toe and then have legitimately 3 (3x3 but that wouldn't get her any extra base value)

But if someone wants a shot at Mao (legitimately) that's the best way.. Of course if Mao does 2 3/3 combos, it's still hard to make up points, but if Mao doesnt.....

of course ... and Carolina K should attempt 3 Axels

If what Yu-na says is true that she lands the 3 loop in practice just like her other jumps, than I think she should try. It might take away the psychological factor of the loop for her as well, because she won't have as much time to think about that jump.

IF not Yu-na that's what SOMEONE should be doing if they want to beat Mao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I am delighted Mao`s won, but while Yu-na I also really like it seems to me, or indeed Yu-na`s LP this year is very similar to the one M. Kwan skated at 2002 Olys, even their dresses are almost the same?
It's the same music and there has been talk that the costumes are very similar (my memory re Kwan's outfit is hazy). Kim's jump layout is notthe same as Kwan's, of course, and I think her on-ice persona is quite different as well.

mandykane21 said:
If Yu Na hadn't made mistakes in the short, she proably would have won. She won the long after coming in 5th in the short, remember.
Mao wasn't perfect on the SP either, so there's really no point in a hypothetical here. Overall they each have their strengths and points-wise are probably pretty evenly matched overall.

npavel

On the Ice
Carolina. For me is an imposter. i would prefer Caroline.

Caroline wasn't here, she had the chance but didn't live up to that. I find she don't belong in this tree.
I can't understand all that hate to Carolina and it's therefore I don't post so much here. She has had fine jumps and was better than others here. She fully deserved the bronze medal. The competitions is about short and free skating and the best should win.
I'm sure if Carolina was an American, all eyes would be on her and she would be appreciated for all her commitment.

kikakiks

On the Ice
npavel...I so much agree with you.

This is just absurd that Carolina has gatherd this uch hate among the skating fans...sometimes I am really disgusted by fans comments...

Why should she be an imposter?? She is the only one who up until this season could even hope of being up there with Mao and Yu-Na if they made mistakes.
Thankfully also Joannie is in the mix this year.

But I don't understand the fuss about her being so bad both on the ice and presentation wise. This is all because of 2008 worlds and her frequency to bomb in long programs...

Even if she does good programs like in this GPF people just scream in disgust...she will never be able to do well and be acknowledged for that!

Why do people never pick at Joannie? She is no better! Her skating skills are not exactly phenomenal, she is not the preeminent example of grace, she bombs whenever she is at an important competition, she is sloppy as well (beacuse she always pops jumps and is slow on spins) yet everyone lovs her...wonder why? She's from North America.

I just would like everyone to be objective!
When you complainabout poor Joannie who isn't on the opdium PLEASE look at the protocols. See that Carolina got lower pcs than Joannie (which in my mind should not be like that...but let it be) and that she got HUGE goes on everything.
Check also that Carolina was among the first four the only one who got a lower than actual TES thanks to negative GOEs. Now, she almost always gets negative goes even when there is no need. When you complain about the lack of transitions, please do look at her program! She does have them. her problem is the long entrance into flip and lutz, and therefore she ALWAYS has negative GOEs for those jumps (except when she does huge combos which balance out the problem) and indeed she has low transition mark.

She is one of the few skaters that is indeed hit for every mistake she does unlike many others (and I don't like to make names), so where is the deal?

I honestly think she is very musical, she hits every nuance of the music, she just has a very different style, and it is fine if you don't like it, it's personal preference.

She has become the very most hated skater on this forum, and this has brought me quite a few times to defend her even if I am not her biggest fan.

Has noone realized that shehas grown to be much more consistent? Even if she does make few mistakes (AS EVRYONE) she doesn't bomb anymore after one mistake and she fights up until the end. She does indeed always complete all of her planned elements, so where is the hate?
The quality of her skating? Well, in my opinion her skating skills and jump techinique are on par with Yu-Na, just not the execution of elements and drama on the ice.

Whatever, I just whish everyone would stop being so negative in general to skaters in order to support their favorites that they do not even recognize when others do make progress.

franz6009

Rinkside
I totally agree with npavel and kikakiks...I think that many on this forum would say she's ovescored whatever her scores would be...I think her scores are fine and sometimes too low, she should have (and she's always had) very good PCS and she's becoming much more solid season after season...Why don't people see that?

mandykane21

Rinkside
Mao wasn't perfect on the SP either, so there's really no point in a hypothetical here. Overall they each have their strengths and points-wise are probably pretty evenly matched overall.

That's actually my point. I was responding to the poster that was saying everyone said Yuna didn't need the loop last year and she still ended up losing without it. She didn't need the loop, she needed to skate cleanly. For all the talk of what she needs to do to compete with Mao, look at their scores. With a far less difficult program and more mistakes, Yuna's score was not that far away from Mao's. Nor was it last year in the GPF lp, so it's not just a hometown advantage thing. I think they're way more evenly matched than people are making them out to be.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I have to agree about Kostner. I was ticked off over 2008 worlds, but I don't find this result upsetting at all. Rochette left a lot of points on the table in the long, and she was horrific in the short program. Kostner wasn't that bad and her program is quite beautiful. Kostner earned her medal fair and square. Quite frankly I agree that Kostner is getting more consistent.

However, I don't think Kostner has ever been "under scored" I think the scores she got here were just right.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
There's probably no need to repeat the same sentiment, but I just want to add words of my support for Kostner. She worked the system and deserved her placement. There's no point of wuzrobbing as long as the placement makes sense in the current judging system. COP has been in practice for more than five years, and every skater needs to study and work the system if they want to be competitive. Working CoP is not cheating.

bekalc

Record Breaker
There's probably no need to repeat the same sentiment, but I just want to add words of my support for Kostner. She worked the system and deserved her placement. There's no point of wuzrobbing as long as the placement makes sense in the current judging system. COP has been in practice for more than five years, and every skater needs to study and work the system if they want to be competitive. Working CoP is not cheating.

Yep.. If Rochette had counted to 3 (3 combinations) she might have won... (It would have been quite close) ... Kostner's medal is well deserved here and her scores were very fair. Frankly I like both of Kostner's programs. The short is charming and the long is quite beautiful. Not to mention that Rochette's lay out is IMO not very COP friendly.

Honestly I'm beginning to feel that Kostner is more consistent than Rochette (at least at the bigger competitions) Kostner is a sweet girl and a good skater and doesn't deserved the hatred that she's getting.

Last edited:

kikakiks

On the Ice
I have to agree about Kostner. I was ticked off over 2008 worlds, but I don't find this result upsetting at all. Rochette left a lot of points on the table in the long, and she was horrific in the short program. Kostner wasn't that bad and her program is quite beautiful. Kostner earned her medal fair and square. Quite frankly I agree that Kostner is getting more consistent.

However, I don't think Kostner has ever been "under scored" I think the scores she got here were just right.

Well I am happy then than at least few of us share the same thoughts! i absolutely think about it in the same way.

peace and love;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Miki was totally robbed here. SHE should have been in 3rd place. None of her jumps were more than 1/4 short; those downgrades were horrendous.

They should have given her that Quad, she did it so well. Some of her attempts at it have clearly being short but this one deserved a pass.

It REALLY pisses me off that her 2Axel-3Toe was called as underrotated when Kostner's was not.

If the callers are going to be so incredibly strict with the downgrades, the rule absolutely must be changed. This has been out of hand for much too long. Competitions are coming down to a coin flip on whether or not a jump will be called as downgraded. Mao lost Short Program for that reason and she certainly shouldn't have, given the big mistake Yu-Na made (and I like Yu-Na's program more).

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
Huzzah for Kostner! I like her and I am happy and I just don't freaking care what anyone else says!