Mens lp | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mens lp

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No it's not, it's .2 less for doing a 2T in combo + a second 3Z instead of a 3T in combo and then a 2A. Which isn't big, but I believe that PCS goes up when you have big moves in your performance.

At the very least he needs to start hitting all of the combinations. He keeps leaving one out, when he could easily be planning a combination with his 2A.

In general I greatly dislike the current layout for the jumps in his program this year. He does three Axel jumps in a row at the start of the program and then his last three jumping passes are 3Lz, 3Lz, 3F. Way too monotone. If wants a "safe" routine (no Quad, just one 3-3 combo), then he should plan this:

3A+2T
3F
3A
3S
--------
3Z+3T
3Lo
2A+2T+2Lo
3Z

That would be a nice varied layout and hopefully putting the 3F early in the program would help him to focus on getting a correct edge takeoff (if he wants to work on it...) and doing the 3rd combo on the back of a 2A would let him always hit the element.

I REALLY think he should keep the 3A-3T combo, though. He does it so beautifully; that's a money move for him.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I love and worry about Jeremy's program. I think his music choice is brilliant... and risky. The way he's skated his program... successful technical elements... and in front of appreciative audiences in Asia... will hopefully also be the case at upcoming events in North America. If there are technical flaws, or the mood is not right, I worry for a flat response given the more complex and less "accessible" aspect of the music. Again... I love his music selections... they do make me "worry" a bit though.

I love it, too. Calm, sophisticated, and well constructed. I know what you are worried, too, though.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I love and worry about Jeremy's program. I think his music choice is brilliant... and risky. The way he's skated his program... successful technical elements... and in front of appreciative audiences in Asia... will hopefully also be the case at upcoming events in North America. If there are technical flaws, or the mood is not right, I worry for a flat response given the more complex and less "accessible" aspect of the music. Again... I love his music selections... they do make me "worry" a bit though.
I made my mom, who has nothing for or against fugure skating, watch the CoR LPs with me. She was very impressed with Abbott, saying that you could tell he was a dancer and that he was really graceful. But she disliked the music, and said it wasn't enjoyable to listen to and was almost detracting from the program's appeal. So I think you are spot on in pointing out that if it's an off day for Jeremy, there's not as much there for an audience to get behind.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If wants a "safe" routine (no Quad, just one 3-3 combo), then he should plan this:

3A+2T
3F
3A
3S
--------
3Z+3T
3Lo
2A+2T+2Lo
3Z

I REALLY think he should keep the 3A-3T combo, though. He does it so beautifully; that's a money move for him.

If he did a 3A+3T instead of the 3A+2T you proposed in your layout though, then he would be repeating 3 triples, which is against the rules. I think the layout as you have it above would be a smart strategy for Johnny. He gets his problematic flip (lip) jump out of the way early so that it doesn't leave a negative last impression for the judges. He doesn't have the strongest competitive nerves, so doing both 3Axels in the first half is probably best for him. :agree: More importantly, he needs to look into adding much more difficult choreography and transititions in his programs and improve his speed. His basic skating skills are wonderful, but his cautiousness in competition and lacking choreography and transitions are not doing him any favors. He has to attack to give off the excitement and impact for a winning performance!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
If he did a 3A+3T instead of the 3A+2T you proposed in your layout though, then he would be repeating 3 triples, which is against the rules.

No, if he did two 3-3 combinations then he would replace the second 3Lutz with a double axel.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, if he did two 3-3 combinations then he would replace the second 3Lutz with a double axel.

3A+2T = 9.50
3F = 5.50
3A = 8.20
3S = 4.50
--------
3Z+3T = 11.00
3Lo = 5.50
2A+2T+2Lo = 6.93
3Z = 6.60

Base jumps = 57.73

3A+3T = 12.20
3F = 5.50
3A = 8.20
3S = 4.50
--------
3Z+3T = 11.00
3Lo = 5.50
2A+2T+2Lo = 6.93
2A = 3.85

Base jumps = 57.68

Granted, the difference is not much, but it's actually a smarter strategy for Johnny to repeat the 3Lutz instead of repeating the 3toe, the least valued triple jump. I think he should seriously consider moving the 3loop, one of his weaker jumps, into the first half of the program and substituting it with the solo 3Axel in the context of the first proposed layout.

3A+2T = 9.50
3F = 5.50
3Lo = 5.00
3S = 4.50
--------
3Z+3T = 11.00
3A = 9.02
2A+2T+2Lo = 6.93
3Z = 6.60

Base jumps = 58.05

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think a 3A in the second half of the program would be good. Johnny doesn't have the best stamina. His problem with the 3Lo comes down to technique.

Also, if he had 2 double axels in the program, I'd put one of them in the first half and have the 3Sal as his last jump (which puts the total base value for his jumps .1 higher). Of course, ideally, I think he should be doing this:

4T
3A-3T
3F
3A
--------
3Lz-3T
3Lo
2A-2T-2Lo
3S

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
More importantly, he needs to look into adding much more difficult choreography and transititions in his programs and improve his speed. His basic skating skills are wonderful, but his cautiousness in competition and lacking choreography and transitions are not doing him any favors. He has to attack to give off the excitement and impact for a winning performance!

IMO you nailed it!. On the technical side, his first priority should be to "execute " all the jumping passes as scheduled, because so far he failed to do so. Somewhere he has to insert a third combo, tackling a double behind a secure triple like the salchow for example. But far more crucial, he is losing points on the second mark. He skates cautios and slower than many of his competitors, like he skates not to lose. He needs more attack and speed. The performance has much better impact if done with security and power. More intricate transitions wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
IMO you nailed it!. On the technical side, his first priority should be to "execute " all the jumping passes as scheduled, because so far he failed to do so. Somewhere he has to insert a third combo, tackling a double behind a secure triple like the salchow for example. But far more crucial, he is losing points on the second mark. He skates cautios and slower than many of his competitors, like he skates not to lose. He needs more attack and speed. The performance has much better impact if done with security and power. More intricate transitions wouldn't hurt either.
Actually, I'm pretty sure he's losing more points by not doing all his combinations than he is on his second mark, which is pretty much constant if you're a top skater and doesn't vary too much between the elite guys - maybe a point or two each way. His base mark for tech is just too low right now; why spot you competitors 10 points each time?