Miscellaneous 2008 GPF comment | Golden Skate

Miscellaneous 2008 GPF comment

saltypig

Rinkside
I don't know what thread to put this in so I thought I'd start my own.:p

This is by far in my memory (a very short one albeit) one of the most withdrawal filled GPF ever.

It must be really disappointing for skaters to withdraw and they must be really ill/injured to withdraw with the prize money on the line and I guess for pairs and dance it is dangerous for the other partner.

If it was food poisoning from an ISU dinner that caused all the withdrawals I'm sure the ISU will try their best to make sure that it doesn't happen again but no matter how careful one can be it doesn't take much especially in a foreign country to get sick from the food.

Well congrat's to all the medalists. It was a very exciting build up to the finals. I hope everyone recovers soon and to all the skaters who did not skate that well I hope you will do better next time.

samba

On the Ice
What worried me was Ben's back pain. It sounds serious when he was talking about numbness to his toe and right leg. It could be lumbar disc herniation. In that case, he will need to rest and go for physical therapy for several weeks. Some need back surgery. I hope he's OK.

**Carol**

Rinkside
What worried me was Ben's back pain. It sounds serious when he was talking about numbness to his toe and right leg. It could be lumbar disc herniation. In that case, he will need to rest and go for physical therapy for several weeks. Some need back surgery. I hope he's OK.

ohh don't say that, i'm scared now. I really hope that Ben :love: recover soon

missysays

On the Ice
I hope he'll be ok too. If memory serves me, this isn't the first time he's had a back injury. I think they've been out before because of his back, I hope this isn't something that continues to recur.

lmarie086

Medalist
I hope he'll be ok too. If memory serves me, this isn't the first time he's had a back injury. I think they've been out before because of his back, I hope this isn't something that continues to recur.

IIRC, it was in fact another GPF that they had to withdraw from due to a back injury for Ben. I think it was the year Gregory/Petukhov qualified?

casken

On the Ice
The GPF has a history of last second withdrawals before the event, but I'm pretty sure this GPF has the record for most withdrawals after the event had actually started.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
There were 3 withdrawals - 2 in Dance, one in Men.
In 2006 there were 2 - both in Men division - Lysacek before SP, Weir before FS. (B/A withdrew before the event citing Ben's back injury), In 2007 there was one in Pairs after SP

Actually, this year GPF is very like 2006 year GPF. There were many sick or injured skaters who could barely perform, Zhang/Zhang, S/S, P/T, Takahashi, Ando...

emma

Record Breaker
A bit off topic, I think, but I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who did pbp's and gave detailed commentary. For those of us who can't see the competitions, these descriptions are a real gift. So, thanks!

OT - I was sorry to read about all the withdrawals and do hope everyone is ok or gets better very soon!

samba

On the Ice
I like her youth look, not too much make-up, not too sexy. She has that natural beauty and I hope it stays for long time :p