2009 World Championships in LA | Golden Skate

2009 World Championships in LA

jyshin

On the Ice
I've seen a couple of posts here and there regarding who should qualify for the upcoming World Championships in LA. Now that GPF is over, we seem to have a better view. Which skater do you think should qualify from each country for the Worlds?

I am personally fond of the current Men's field: USA, Canada, Japan, France, Russia, etc.

USA (3): Jeremy Abbott, Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek
Canada (3): Patrick Chan, Shawn Sawyer, ?
Japan (3?): Kozuka Takahiko, Noburi Oda, ?
France (2): Brian Jubert, Yannick Pnsero or Florent Amodio
Russia (?): Evgeni Plushenko(?)

Please, help me filling in the blanks[?]. You are also invited to discuss your own World picks, not only for the men but any discipline that you are interested in.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You forgot Alban Preaubert for France; his results have been better than Ponsero's so far, and certainly better than Amodio's. A shame France doesn't get three spots, which they likely would have retained had Alban not had to withdraw at 2008 Worlds.

Also I'm not seeing a Plushy comeback, so I'd say Voronov for Russia, and who knows who else for the second spot - maybe Borodulin (sp.?).

Sweden's got two spots, which should be Berntsson and Schultheiss - both are great fun to watch :).

The third Japanese guy could be Mura.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What about Fedor Andreev? Will Canada send a team based on results of thier Nats or 4CC?

Skate Canada has the final say on who gets sent to Worlds, but 95% of the time they go by national results, so as long as Fedor wins a medal at Canadians, he's practically guaranteed a spot. 4CC placements have no bearing on their decision.

In case you're curious, the 4CC berths are offered first to the Nats podium finishers, then they work their way down if someone in the Top 3 declines the invitation. Fedor's last international competition was the 2003 Trophée Lalique, so it's absolutely imperative that he competes at 4CC so that he gets some recognition from the world judges.

Fedor IS going to worlds, but he will make a quick stop at 4CC to pick up the gold medal and head to LA :biggrin:

I like your thinking! :agree:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just wanted to say that there's a rumour going around on another forum that Skate Canada will name the World team after 4CC. If there's any truth to this speculation, this would be the first time SC has done that.

ilsalund

Rinkside
Anyone going to Worlds? I am but the schedule is a bit crazy! If you are going, do you know of any hotels available? Thanks.

berrycute

On the Ice
I am going to miss seeing Yukari and Ashley at the Worlds. I wasn't a fan of either one until this season but they've both really grown on me.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I know a lot of ladies will be unlucky and will watch Worlds on TV, but I'm much more disappointed that only two French guys can go (I assume Amodio and Preaubert will be the ones to miss out), and that the Czechs can only send one skater (likely Verner over Brezina).

Tenorguy

On the Ice
ilsa -
The Holiday Inn is closest to the Staples Center. Here is a link with reviews.

http://www.travelpost.com/hotels/Holiday+Inn+Los+Angeles-City+Ctr(Conv+Ctr)/h20710#review-section

Its not the fanciest place - that would be the Biltmore about 1.5 miles north - but the Holiday Inn is clean. Good luck on your search!
Tenorguy - My Group Tour is using two Hotels: The Hilton Checkers, and the Millenium Biltmore. I'm not sure which one I am in, but can you say anything about them?

(btw, I saw Dr. Atomica, and found the music to be much better than Nixon in China).

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Tenorguy - My Group Tour is using two Hotels: The Hilton Checkers, and the Millenium Biltmore. I'm not sure which one I am in, but can you say anything about them?

(btw, I saw Dr. Atomica, and found the music to be much better than Nixon in China).

Absolutely Joesitz - the Biltmore is the more luxurious of the two: lots of old Hollywood character. When you enter the lobby you might recognize it; many movies have been shot there. Its about 1.5 miles to Staples Center - during the day it is safe to walk - at night, its good to be careful. A cab should cost you about $6 and is a short ride - 5 minutes, a bit more in traffic.

Do yourself a favor if at all possible and try to get to Disney Hall for an LA Phil concert. The hall is acoustically wonderful and the building itself is a kick. the link is www.laphil.org and David Daniels is in concert Tues 3/24 Bach and Handel program. The hall is a short 5 minute ride north of the Biltmore and a 15 minute walk.

Checkers Hotel - here is a mapquest link to the hotel with tons of reviews and a map http://tinyurl.com/blst65. There are good restaurants nearby, and a retail complex recently opened up beside Staples - LA Live. The plan is to make it the "Times Square" of the West Coast. Not even close! But there are alot of chain restaurants, so eating before/after the comptetions will be no problem.

I can get very specific - if you need more info, I'd be happy to help. PM me!

PS - Loved, loved Dr. Atomic.

Thanks Tenorguy (I also replied to PM). I presume this is all Downtown LA where the original Spanish settlement was. If so I stayed there before for a square dance convention. We did a lot of sight seeing from there during the day and we square danced the evening away. No need to frolic outdoors at night.

I'm sure with the Worlds, there will be little frolicking too - outdoors. Watching skating all day is actually tiresome.

I hope to get to the new Disney Theatre. Heard a lot about it.

Meanwhile, when I get the tickets, I'll let you know where I am sitting, so we can meet up and trash the skaters. ;)

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice

The Biltmore is much bigger than the Hilton Checkers. Like Tenorguy said, the Biltmore has lots of old Hollywood charm & the bar is wonderful, but I find the rooms are a bit tired & smallish.

The Hilton Checkers used to be probably the most luxurious hotel years ago until it changed hands from Kempinski to Wyndham->Hilton. The hotel used to have quite an amazing collection of art & furniture until Wyndham & Hilton took over & cheapened the overall look. It's much smaller & definitely more intimate, and I used to prefer this hotel whenever I stayed in L.A. for work.

If you are assigned to the Hilton Checkers, ask for '01 series rooms for bigger & brighter bathrooms facing Grand or '07 or '08 rooms for overall larger size of the room facing the library. I don't think the room config was changed during the remodeling.

^^^
Thank you for the advice but in a group tour it's all preassigned. Maybe I could complain about the room I get and ask for the 01 series.

life684

Final Flight
I know i am posting this in a wrong place and this topic may have been discussed prior to my enquiry, but i am simply astonished by the post on NBC olympics website.
They claim that the skater should be 15 before July 1 2007 to be eligible for 2010 olympics and goes on to say that olympic berths are berths are made on the results of 2007 world championships, I am sure this is not correct(i hope this is a cut and paste error from their summer olympics post :laugh:).

Pls check this

http://www.nbcolympics.com/newscenter/vancouver2010/newsid=257740.html

lcd

Match Penalty
Hope tickets are selling. Would be sad to see all those empty seats