Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPF a little flat this year?

Awaiting Boris and Oleg

GPF a little flat this year?

Did the GPF fall a little flat for a lot of folks this year? Maybe it was the several withdrawals or something, or we're still missing the likes of Lambiel and Buttle, who knows, but I really thought I'd be glued to the computer all weekend and the rest of this week keeping up with posts. Not so at all -- hasn't taken much time to read every new post on all the threads on the GPF.

I know discussion will persist, of course, but still -- last year's Ladies LP thread had 401 posts, with offshoot threads about Mao and Yuna. This year not nearly so much despite Mao's 2 triple axels. The Free Dance generated 175 posts last year -- only 85 so far this year. Again, I know discussion will continue, but it doesn't seem on track to come close to discussion after last year's GPF.

Are we all just thrilled with the results, so there's not much to say?

Or are more fans still turning away from skating, for whatever reason?

Is anyone else finding a lot of performances these days busy busy busy but nevertheless boring somehow?

the GPF stuff from last year went on for weeks last year as far as discussion, IIRC, that may be part of it ...

then our US members aren't able to see it on TV... just online, and that might have something to do with it as well.

Unlike previous GP events, I didn't see too many cat fights over Mao vs. Yuna at the GPF threads despite the controversial results at SP, which may have contributed to shortening the threads.

But I feel that people including myself posted relatively long, comprehensive posts as the treads developed.

I didn't watch ice dancing and pairs. But Men's may have been a bit dissapointing with Brian being away and Patrick falling on many jumps. For Ladies, Miki (at least points-wise), Yukari, and Joannie were a bit disappointing. But the medalists did pretty well in both disciplines.

Last season or was it two seasons ago?, GPF was really really weird with so many illnesses. It was a bit better at this time.
    Last edited by Bennett; 12-16-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I think it's because of the difficulty of viewing performances online. TV is gone (in US) and now Youtube is very limited as well. Daily Motion is good but very incomplete. How does USFSA expect audiences for an invisible sport? I feel very grouchy about it.

Maybe it's because what exactly is there to argue about?

Mao clearly won...

Abbott clearly won.

P/T clearly won

D/S clearly won

And well also a lot of the skaters ended up sick and withdrawing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Maybe it's because what exactly is there to argue about?

Mao clearly won...

Abbott clearly won.

P/T clearly won

D/S clearly won

Agreed!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think it was a very good GPF, lessened, only because we can't watch it on TV.

Banned
    Figure skating is dying thanks to Speedy and his CoP...

Even I as a diehard fan has only watched a very limited part of GPF. I haven't watched any ladies' performance yet.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Did the GPF fall a little flat for a lot of folks this year? Maybe it was the several withdrawals or something, or we're still missing the likes of Lambiel and Buttle, who knows, but I really thought I'd be glued to the computer all weekend and the rest of this week keeping up with posts. Not so at all -- hasn't taken much time to read every new post on all the threads on the GPF.

I know discussion will persist, of course, but still -- last year's Ladies LP thread had 401 posts, with offshoot threads about Mao and Yuna. This year not nearly so much despite Mao's 2 triple axels. The Free Dance generated 175 posts last year -- only 85 so far this year. Again, I know discussion will continue, but it doesn't seem on track to come close to discussion after last year's GPF.
    Interesting, because I thought it was just me. I certainly didn't pay attention to the # of posts in different threads. True, so many withdrawals across the disciplines.

To me personally men's especially lost it's attractiveness to a certain degree, since my favorite is injured and sitting this season out. For me, it's not so much of a sport, if there isn't much anticipation in who the winner will be.

And then those victims of food poisoning, who either withdrew or skated while not feeling well.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post

How could I pay attention to a competition without the ones I like...

to unknown reason, I just have the chance to watch ladies and the result turned out to be disappointing.

The ones I thought ought to get high marks turned to be really LOW marks, I kindly think they are underscored, say, Miki and Yukari should get higher marks, however.....

No star from US in GP. Last year we still have Caroline.
    I believed that most popular category in this board is ladies single. Without US competitors in the 6 finals. The limitation broadcast, the withdrawal and Mao Yuna bot cat fight chooed away many fans in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercemao View Post
    Figure skating is dying thanks to Speedy and his CoP...

Even I as a diehard fan has only watched a very limited part of GPF. I haven't watched any ladies' performance yet.
    Where have you been fiercemao? you were gone for awhile....

The Ladies were obvious for gold.

The Men were a surprise.

The Pairs were the same old groups

The Skate Dance, also the same old groups.

I don't believe there will be much difference at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Agree, this is probably the worst and most dissapointing GPF in decade. Nothing is too exciting, the women's single is the only highlight of the whole comp. And bekalc's summery hits all the points.

Custom Title
    IMO, CoP is chewing up skaters and spitting them out. There have been so many injuries and withdrawals this year that you begin to wonder if anyone of any consequence will be left for the Olympic season.

I also think the onslaught of URs and edge calls has stripped away the confidence of many of the top skaters. Very few men are attempting quads this season, and few of the quads have been ratified. Same for the ladies' 3/3s.

When a skater's confidence is shaken, the performance suffers, and we've seen skaters who've skated near-clean performances in the past make mistakes on elements they've always nailed previously.

I'm also extremely skeptical of the pronouncement that moves would be taken out of the ODs, FDs and FSs so the skaters would be more free to do 'moves in the field' towards their TR scores. I've seen skaters doing innovative, beautiful moves, but the TR scores don't budge. This is especially noticeable in Ice Dance, where the scores are WAY down from last season.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast