GPF a little flat this year? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

GPF a little flat this year?

^ Yeah, I agree. Whether we enjoyed them or not, the cheesefests were a sign that figure skating was alive and well.

Now I am afraid that we will be seeing more and more threads like this one. Why was the Grand Prix a little flat this year? Why was U.S. Nationals a little flat this year? Why was Worlds a little flat this year? Why was the Olympics a little flat this year? :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, while typing that response in the Edge thread, something struck me.

Skate fans (at least in the US) are lamenting the lack of TV coverage. That's fine, but for those willing to spend the money, you get a whole wealth of skating coverage via Ice network. Lots of events that TV wouldn't even bother to show, plus lower-ranked skaters that wouldn't have been shown on TV anyway. Maybe if IN gets popular enough, they might be able to find a sponsor(s) and offer free (live) coverage of major events such as US Nationals. Nice thought, anyway.

So, for the skeptic like me, I see the glass half-full in terms of coverage (obviously half-empty in terms of skating's state, though). There is just a shift from TV to internet, and I wouldn't have even cared at all had it not been for NBC showing 2007 SA, some Disson events, and 2008 US Nats in HDTV. Now THAT is the way to watch skating. (on that topic, they've gone back to SD coverage for this year's Disson shows...bleh. At least they're still covering the competitive events in HD though)

Last edited:
There is just a shift from TV to internet...
What I see happening is that TV and the Internet will become the same thing. Everyone will have their computer hooked up to their home theater, and Bob's your uncle (as they say across the pond).

As for Icenetwork, they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot by ticking off their natural constituency.

As for Icenetwork, they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot by ticking off their natural constituency.
Totally agree. It could be my computer, but watching LIVE and ON DEMAND are two different views. I have so much trouble in getting into Icenetwork to watch LIVE and then getting it moving so as to watch the skating. Much too often I get short stops and goes, Yet for ON DEMAND there doesn't seem to be any computer problems, and the picture is much clearer. Question, why am I given a choice of 400K and 700K during the LIVE?

modernmuslimah

Spectator
Totally agree. It could be my computer, but watching LIVE and ON DEMAND are two different views. I have so much trouble in getting into Icenetwork to watch LIVE and then getting it moving so as to watch the skating. Much too often I get short stops and goes, Yet for ON DEMAND there doesn't seem to be any computer problems, and the picture is much clearer. Question, why am I given a choice of 400K and 700K during the LIVE?

It may not be IN but your connection. I never have issues watching IN live. About the 400K and 700K, it's just a choice of how fast you want it to stream. 700K streams more kbps and the picture is bit better but if your connection is a bit slower, it's better to do 400K.