Shortening? | Golden Skate

Shortening?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Does anyone know of a brand of Shortening that has no:
dairy, corn or vegi oil, or soy products???

My neice is allergic to all of that and more (seriously this child has the worst drs. IMHO they believe she is allergic to everything in some severity or another AND she either has a stomach or kidney problem, they don't know which, but they don't think it's something to be concerned about?????? blah!), and I'm trying to find a way to let this kid have a few Christmas cookies that are just her own so she doesn't feel left out.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Can you substitute lard for vegatable oil shortening in your recipes?

I believe lard is made from the fatty tissue of the hog. I remember when I was a kid my grandmother used it. I know Crisco has a type of lard on the market but it is made with vegetable oil. Can you still purchase the animal lard?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Haille's allergic to pork, beef, chicken, annnnndddddddd ummmm one other kind of farm animal. so the lard is out :(

however Erin (my best friend) has given me some ideas - including goat's milk butter... or rice milk butter... so I might be able to pull something off...

I feel so bad for Miss Rae... she's allergic to just about everything

Antilles

Medalist
There are a lot of cookie recipes that don't contain any lard, shortening or oil. What type of cookies are you trying to make?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just your basic sugar cookies.... We'll be decorating cookies while she's staying with us (her mom is going in for surgery and her dad has to work on the slope - couldn't get the time off - so we get her :) which I'm not complaining about)

We'll also have Gingerbread and she'll want to help with that, as well as probably eat it lol

these "allergies" are fairly new, so she's having a hard time understanding (she's not yet three) why her favorite snacks are no longer on the okay list (she can't have cheese or yogurt, two of her favorites!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes, and butter has dairy in it!

exactly!

after talking with Erin - my best friend who is a chef - and looking at what Haille CAN have (it's a short list compared to the one with all of her allergies) Goats Milk or Rice Milk butter will work and not change the flavor too noticably. I can also make frosting with it...

*sigh*

Antilles

Medalist
Well, those might work. Vegetarian or organic stores might have other options. There are non-soy vegetarian ingredients, but you may have just named them above.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How about grapeseed oil or walnut oil? (2 oil cooky recipes below)

Is she allergic to egg white? If not, those little meringue tea cookies with the tiny chocolate chips in them are da bomb!

Beacon Hill Cookies (the chocolate version)

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=1219

Here's my mom's version (chocolate chip):

Forgotten Cookies

Heat oven to 400F

2 egg whites
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat whites, adding sugar gradually, until the mixture holds stiff
peaks.

Add 2/3 pkg of butterscotch morselfs
or 2/3 pkg of Nestle's tiny bits

May also add 1/4 c. walnuts, chopped fine.

Drop by teaspoons on an ungreased cookie sheets.
This makes 2 sheets.

Put in the oven, shut the door, shut off the oven and let stand at
least 8 hours.l

Apricot Pecan Dainties, substitute pecans for walnuts and spread
apricot preserves between 2 cookies.

Here's another recipe I found but haven't tried:

WHITE OIL COOKIES

(I'd use grapeseed oil in these, myself)

NOTE: This recipe is like sugar cookies only they don't have to be rolled out.

2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter
1 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
4 c. flour

Combine all ingredients except flour in a large bowl. Beat well until blended. Gradually add flour, beating after each addition. Using 1 teaspoon of dough, form into balls. Place on greased cooked sheet. Butter bottom of tumbler and dip into sugar. Press cookies flat with sugared tumbler. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Ovens vary so watch carefully.

Here's an olive oil cookie (grapeseed oil tastes better. It's one of the cardiac approved oils, so I use it quite a lot, particularly for making popcorn)

I have no idea whether it is any good.

Olive Oil Christmas Cookies

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/orange-hazelnut-olive-oil-christmas-cookies.aspx

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks, Doris! she can have eggs (which I find weird. how come she can't have chicken but she can have chicken eggs? LOL she's also allergic to potatos lol)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Meringues are a great idea! Easy to make and very yummy (even just the straight forward meringues)!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm having trouble finding goat milk butter here in town... gonna try the natural food pantry and see if they have something or can point me in the right direction... this is difficult!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just a little update - found the goat butter, made the sugar cookies... and surprisingly they don't taste bad. They're a little more bland, but other than that no problems. The butter smells horrible, though, so the dough didn't seem to promising, but they bake just fine. :)

thanks for all the help, I'm keeping all of the recipes!