Finnish Nationals | Golden Skate

Finnish Nationals

ingwer

Rinkside
The Finnish Nationals take place this weekend in Helsinki. According to Finnish press, Jenni Vähämaa has withdrawn due to recent injury. Kiira Korpi will finally start her season here, but is not yet in her normal shape and is going to do only two kinds of triples, the loop and the salchow. But she will perform her new lp for the first time, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I think Lepistö will take the title quite easily, Pöykiö will be second and Korpi third.
The men's title should go to Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari (yet again), as Mikko Minkkinen, who surprisingly won the title last year has withdrawn, I guess. Not much competition there.

ingwer

Rinkside
Today's short program went like I predicted. Lepistö leads with 55 and something. It was a disappointing program though, only 2T+2T and a single axel. Pöykiö is in second with 54 and something. She made a triple flip and a double axel but fell on the lutz of the supposed combo. Korpi made a 3S+2T and a 3R, but fell on her double axel and achieved about 53 points. Generous scoring for the three of them perhaps. Korpi has her last season's short program but a new costume, a bit similar to the old one though, with white and red stripes. I much preferred the old one.

Poor Vähämaa sat in the crowd with crutches. It seems Lepistö, Pöykiö and Korpi will be the team for Euros.

Shaba22

Final Flight
Results

MEN (SP):
1. Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari 64,47
2. Valtter Virtanen 52,42
3. Lasse Sääkslahti 38,41
4. Matias Piispanen 35,83

LADIES (SP):
1 Laura LEPISTÖ 55,36
2 Susanna PÖYKIÖ 54,53
3 Kiira KORPI 53,34
4 Minna PARVIAINEN 45,71
5 Henriikka HIETANIEMI 42,55
6 Helena STENBACKA 39,92
7 Heidi TOIVANEN 31,74

ICE DANCE (CD + OD):
1 Oksana KLIMOVA / Sasha PALOMÄKI 68.74
2 Henna LINDHOLM / Ossi KANERVO 46.75

ingwer

Rinkside
Final results: http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/0809/SM2009/index.htm

Kiira Korpi skated her new lp for the first time. She did only triple loop, triple salchow and double axel but went clean and won the title. Good for her. :clap:

Laura Lepistö was not at her normal level and made only one triple jump. She still managed to get the silver medal.

Susanna Pöykiö got bronze. She fell on a jump and stumbled a little with some others.

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari won the men's title with his best points ever. He made a nice triple axel, it seems he has improved his skating quite a bit.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
All 3 Ladies will go to Europeans, which will serve as the deciding factor for Worlds. It will be important for the Finns, as they have an outside shot of obtaining 3 spots for next year Olympics.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks to everyone for the info on the Finnish skaters. I have loved watching the Finnish ladies skate ever since I saw Susanna skate on US TV 5 or 6 years ago. I have now had the pleasure of being at competitions where Susanna, Laura, and Jenni have skated.

Does anyone have any information on Jenni's injuries? Will she be able to skate again sometime this season? I assume Finnland has 2 spots at Worlds in LA--how will the two competitors for Worlds be chosen? Whoever goes, I will be there rooting for them to skate well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I assume Finnland has 2 spots at Worlds in LA--how will the two competitors for Worlds be chosen?

In Europeans there will be three skaters, Kiira, Laura and Susanna, and the two best there will be sent to Worlds. It is very sad that Jenni had the accident before the Nationals and hurt her ankle. On the other hand this season Jenni has not skated quite the way we have been used to see from her, maybe a growth spurt? I have no doubts at all that next season she will be strong again.

Last edited:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thank you very much for the information, Jaana. I hope all three ladies do well at Europeans and that, whoever the two best are, those two skate well at Worlds too. I really hope you are right about Jenni being able to skate strong again next year. She is one of my top favorite ladies in the world.