Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Nationals

Ladies: bleh. Though I am interested in the battle of the babies, Shepelen versus Tuktamisheva.

Men:
    I actually think that Tretiakov could have a chance to reach the podium, he had a good outing at the NRW Trophy, 7 Triples including a clean Triple Axel. His presentation isn't that great, but I think he is a skater with more potential than Voronov - presentation wise.

There are two skaters who are juniors, who don't have any chances to reach the podium, but I am looking forward to see them.
    Nikita Mikhaylov I just love to watch, such elegance and purity of skating - though he just doesn't have the jumps or the consistency. I hope for a miracle, but he isn't that young any more either (year 1989).
    Alexander Nikolaev had his first international appearances this season and did quite well with a 3rd and 6th place on the JGP circuit. But he doesn't have a 3 Axel, he doesn't have much experience and looks a bit more awkward than your typical Russian skater.

Konstantin Menshov could be good for a surprise too, he was 4th at Nebelhorn Trophy and at the Coupe de Nice - which isn't overly impressive, but he is definitely ambitious, had two Quads and a 3 Axel in his long at Finlandia and didn't really fall on them (he didn't really land them cleanly either - but he didn't fall ). His short program at Finlandia included a clean (+0.4 GOE) 4T-3T, he just had lousy levels on the non-jump elements. So he is Voronov's equal as far as the technical base mark is concerned. I wouldn't count this guy out.

I used to love the post-Yagudin/Plushenko generation, it was exciting to see them till one or two years ago, but nowadays it's just tiring. Dobrin was so charismatic on ice, last year he looked not himself at all, it was horrific to see. Lutai seems to have no confidence at all, at least one disastrous outing at each competition - he looks so tentative, nearly afraid out there - it makes me forget his excellent edging and the once soft feathery jumps. Griazev just seems to be one of the most unlucky skaters around, all those injuries, followed by inconsistent outings - combined with relatively bland programs and no progress performance-wise.

Borudulin is the future for sure, but he definitely disappointed me with his low technical content this season so far. I liked him better than Rippon last season, but this year Rippon impressed me much more with his gutsy outings, and the progress he made on the artistic side. Borudulin seemed to have regressed a bit. I don't think he will make the podium.

1. Menshov
    2. Voronov
    3. Tretiakov
    Last edited by Medusa; 12-23-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post

No, Ksenia Doronina, I understand she is still injured might be a good opportunity here for Alena Leonova to claim top honours. I hope Katarina Gerboldt makes the top 2. Arina Martinova we shall see if she is back to some kind of form but I fear she might be a past number!!
    Doronina has mono. I think that if Leonova skates like she has been doing all season, she'll easily be the top age-eligible skater. However, the youngsters have been doing quite well. Tuktamysheva & Shelepen have had triple-triples ratified in national competition (3T+3T for Tuktamysheva and 3F+3Lo and 3Lz+3T+2T for Shelepen). Adelina Sotnikova is another one to watch for, she has fantastic style and is attempting 3F+3Lo and 2A+3T.

The pairs field is excellent! Can't wait for that competition.

Custom Title
    Domnina&Shabalin and Kawaguchi&Smirnov don´t taka part in this competition :(

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Any reasons given? Are one of Kawaguchi and Smirnov injured? D&S I would assume it was his knee; they might even be doing things strategically at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Oh no - all the suspense gone then. The only two really competitive disciplines.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Kawaguchi and Smirnov might be going after all.

Custom Title
    Yuko & Smirnov don´t take part in the nats. because Alexander has not recovered of the poisoning of Korea. : (

http://www.championat.ru/other/news-169846.html

And Domnina & Shabalin because they don´t want to go to Kazan (Russia) And to lose more time in the acclimatization

http://www.championat.ru/other/news-169780.html

Custom Title

Omg!

OMG! Is it ture?

I think DomShab change some elements in their FP, and they are practising night and day till the Europeans.

Custom Title
    K/S actually will compete.

Rinkside
    any chances for artem grigoriev?

Custom Title
    I haven't seen much of him this season so I wouldn't know but he's definitely an artsy skater.

Any news about practice or schedule ? (I may actually be able to watch this. )

Custom Title
    Well, I just saw the Ladies SP. I think the quality was higher than last year. Adelina Sotnikova was the clear winner. She was fantastic! 3Lz, 3F+2T and 2A and amazing spins. She had great presentation - lovely arms and moves with a wonderful middle eastern themed program. However, the judges had to have been smoking something. Petushkova is in second, which is just wrong, with higher PCS than Sotnikova when their presentations were miles apart. Leonova is in third, she had a shaky performance and a step out on her solo jump but she was still way better than Petushkova. Gerboldt is fourth, which is baffling, as she fell. Tuktamysheva was clean but her 3--3 was downgraded (unfairly imo) and she's in fifth. I thinks she really suffered from skating in the first group. However, she's only about 2 points out of second place.

Shelepen fell on her flip, had a hand down on her lutz and almost fell out of a spin and is 9th.

IMO, the top three should have been Sotnikova (obvious winner), Tuktamysheva & Leonova.

Custom Title

Results

LADIES SP:

1. Adelina Sotnikova 54.93
    2. Nina Petushkova 51.94
    3. Alena Leonova 50.67
    4. Katarina Gerbolt 50.13
    5. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva 49.82
    6. Oksana Gozeva 48.06

Custom Title
    Gozeva was another one who was really overscored, imo. She fell and had a stepout, yet she still scored over 50 points. Neither her elements nor her presentation were good. Compared to Kozyreva, who is one spot behind her, she had weak spins and spirals and had a fall to Kozyreva's popped lutz. Kozyreva's presentation was also better. I really didn't get that judging.

Of the lower ranked skaters, I found both Artemyeva & Kozyreva enjoyable.
    Last edited by oleada; 12-25-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Custom Title

Men

1. Warm-Up Group

Konstantin Menshov
    Maxim Sheplonov
    Ivan Tretiakov
    Andrei Lutay
    Vladimir Uspenski
    Artur Gachinski

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast