Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January | Golden Skate

Still haven't seen any of the new programs and it's almost January

Johar

Medalist
It sure hurts that ESPN, etc, aren't covering skating. In past seasons I would've seen them skate at least twice by now.

abaka

Rinkside
Tell me about it! Almost no coverage in Canada either. What's going on? --- Another consequence of the Great Crash? :disapp:

ks777

Record Breaker
Tell me about it! Almost no coverage in Canada either. What's going on? --- Another consequence of the Great Crash? :disapp:

Really? I live in the US but I have seen skate america, skate canada, cup of china on CBC already...

Johar

Medalist
My friend lives in Washington state and receives CBC, so she has seen them all. Here in Indiana, nothing.

It's depressing. What next, not showing US Nationals and Worlds?

jrose

Rinkside
Thank you!!!!!!

I never thought of looking at CBC on-line! you can teach an old dog new tricks-lol. Judy senior citizen!

emma

Record Breaker
^I'm pretty sure you have to be in Canada to watch CBC on line

We get CBC here but we have DISH, which doesn't get CBC (for some reason I still don't understand) - so, I haven't seen anything either. So, next year, it's either goodbye to the Dish or hello to IN because not watching skating (and now with all the YouTube issues) really stinks!

In NYC, there are too many team sports both Pro and College that take up time slots for the many NYC stations and channels. State Farm Insurance is in no hurry to support fs. NYC always relied on ABC/ESPN which could no longer support its showing since interest in fs had dropped in NYC. Reasons for that have already been discussed in GS.

What NBC does with fs is just what it cares to do to promote its big undertaking of the Olympics. It is trying to get Americans back into a framework of watching Ladies figure skating so its rating will soar when that event is shown on prime time TV during the Olys. There is no clue as to whether it will cover anything after the Olys.

We have to face the fact that Americans have been brought up to follow Ladies figure skating as the Main Event in that sport - not to my liking but that's the way it is. Problem is there are two other international ladies who are odds on favorites and even others for a podium finish.

NBC may need a miracle to get an Amercian Lady into the podium mix. Attention focuses on 2009 Cleveland Nats, Worlds, and 2010 Nats for that miracle. All of these will undoubtfully be shown on NBC at least in part. So I think fans who do not have access to other cables or icenetwork will at least see the main championships.

There is a possibility that one of the US Men may be a contender for Gold. If this becomes evident from the afore-mentioned events, then I would hope that NBC gets on that lucky guy's bandwagon and gives it full hype.

There is a possibility that one of the US Men may be a contender for Gold. If this becomes evident from the afore-mentioned events, then I would hope that NBC gets on that lucky guy's bandwagon and gives it full hype.
That would be cool.

And not necessarily out of the question. If the U.S. ladies bomb, the men (or dance :rock: ) might turn out to be NBCs only hope of drawing an American audience and recouping it's billion dollar investment.

Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano were big stars. Why not Jeremy Abbott?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano were big stars. Why not Jeremy Abbott?
Because there's no wow factor.

I think Jeremy Abbott is marvelous. I love watching his performances. But I think he is too understated a skater to capture the public's imagination and really transcend the sport, which is what's needed here. Now, if it were Evan Lysacek who ends up doing really well, I think that might work. But Abbott's current LP is not really exciting anough to grab the attention of someone who's not a fan already.

Or at least, I can't see the South Park kids singing what would Jeremy Abbott do ;).

efreedman

On the Ice
No Evidence of Skating

It sure hurts that ESPN, etc, aren't covering skating. In past seasons I would've seen them skate at least twice by now.

I'm not going to suggest how you should spend your money, however, IceNetwork has served me well.

Johar

Medalist
I just got laid off from work. I am supposed to start back in school in October. No way am I paying to watch what figure skating. I didn't even renew my $100/year subscription to my horse racing magazine, and I am addicted to racing.

I have to identify my actual needs from my wants.

modernmuslimah

Spectator
IN is a pretty good investment. I just graduated from college and I'm still looking for employment. At the time, the $29.99 seemed like a lot of money but now I'm happy I got it. Honestly, the price isn't bad and it's much cheaper than paying for satellite or cable every month to watch FS on CBC.

Star85

Rinkside
Thankyou goldenskate :)

I am glad to see people are even allowed to talk about cbc on here! :clap: Icenetwork won't let you. Even though cbc IS affiliated with the ISU, and you are allowed to talk about and link to sites that are affiliated with icenetwork or ISU. I posted a message telling people that you can watch skating on their website for free, and they didn't like that very much. So they deleted my post. Then I put up a couple posts just talking about my deleted post. Even though I didn't say exactly what my post was about, didn't mention any names or tittles, and tried to be discreet, they deleted all of THOSE posts too! Now they have deleted my whole account! I feel so oppressed. I was just trying to be nice, and give people some useful info.

I just wanted to let people know about the cbc alternative, like some of you are doing. I live in WA, so I get to watch it on tv. And I'm thankful for that. But if you don't live in WA, you can watch skating on their website on their video on demand section. You have to watch most of them live though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I so hear you. By the GPF I usually know every step of the top skater's programs, esp the freeskates. Now, I don't even know what a lot of the skaters look like this year! So sad. I can't wait for Nationals.
The worst part is consoling myself that "I could watch it all on YouTube" but I can't even do that!

I just wanted to let people know about the cbc alternative, like some of you are doing. I live in WA, so I get to watch it on tv. And I'm thankful for that. But if you don't live in WA, you can watch skating on their website on their video on demand section. You have to watch most of them live though.
That would be a great answer for those who can not see skating on TV. If one can watch it on the internet, would the viewer have to add things to their computers like bandwith, etc? Can a dial-up computer see skating on the internet?

Star85

Rinkside
That would be a great answer for those who can not see skating on TV. If one can watch it on the internet, would the viewer have to add things to their computers like bandwith, etc? Can a dial-up computer see skating on the internet?

I would suggest that you have high speed. I haven't had dial up for a few years, but I can imagine that watching something like this would probably be a nightmare. You can try it, and maybe it won't be, but it probably won't work very good. It works fine with a fast internet connection.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you can't add bandwidth to your computer, that's an internet thing - this is one of the reasons why dial up users have issues watching streaming video, the cable just isn't capable of streaming that much information quickly.