Your Hopes for US NATIONALS | Golden Skate

Your Hopes for US NATIONALS

For me: A best skate for everyone.

Ladies: Hope the gold and silver medalists can produce 13 points at Worlds. Caroline and Mirai? but what about: Rachael and Ashley? Kimmie and Bebe? Katrina and who is that top Junior moving into Seniors?

Men: We now have a trio of top drawer male skaters but we also have some others who can push that drawer to a lower rung: Carriere, Rippon, Bradley, Dornbush, Johnson. I'm hoping the podium will show the best for 13 points at Worlds.

Pairs: Hope that Keauna and Rockne pace themselves better to the music; and look forward to the return of Brooke and Ben. Hard to think about 13 points at Worlds.

Skate Dance will be B&A, D&W, S&B, N&B, and I;m hoping for The Hubbells to make a break out.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think that relastically, the US has to be looking at 2 spots for the ladies in Vancouver. The current American ladies just aren't strong enough to get those thirteen points, barring injuries or meltdowns by Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie, Caro, and whichever other Japanese skaters are sent to LA (also Sarah Meier and at least one Finn, if healthy). I would like to see Flatt do well at Nationals because other than her unfortunate posture, I think she has a lot of potential and would really benefit from doing Worlds this year.

As for the men, I would love to see Evan and Johnny fight it out with Jeremy Abbott with everyone at the top of their game. Could be pretty cool to watch. Not that it'll be broadcast on Eurosport, or available on Youtube for more than 3 seconds. But at least it'll be fun for US fans, and maybe attract some new fans. Also, I'd like Evan Lysacek to show up with new costumes. Please skate gods, make it so!

I don't much care for any of the American dance teams. I do want S/B to go to Worlds, they've been fun to watch on the GP circuit and should be a team to look out for in the next Olympic cycle.

kandidy

Final Flight
Cheer for Ashley!
Her program both SP and LP are very interesting.
Love both of her choreograph and costumes. (Yes!)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I hope everyone skates well and is judged fairly.

Agreed. Also I hope the ladies have been practicing their jump rotations so we do not have downgraded jumps and a zillion UR calls.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So far, this is the quote I agree with most:

I think that relastically[sic], the US has to be looking at 2 spots for the ladies in Vancouver. The current American ladies just aren't strong enough to get those thirteen points, barring injuries or meltdowns by Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie, Caro, and whichever other Japanese skaters are sent to LA (also Sarah Meier and at least one Finn, if healthy).......I think [Flatt] has a lot of potential and would really benefit from doing Worlds this year.

___

As for hopes, this is an easy one for me: Meissner. Not that I think it will happen or anything, mind you. And as far as two girls for worlds go, I still say send Flatt and whoever is the best of the rest. 4CCs could be a possibility if it's too close to call in the end. IMHO, No one other than Rachel has proved that they are worthy of a Worlds spot yet.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Oh I love having a hope thread instead of prediction!
I'd love to see Alissa have skate of her life, take the gold, and go to worlds as the top US lady.

Buttercup - You are a thinking poster. I too, think it is unrealistic to get 13 points for any two US Ladies. Here are realistic finishers without podium:

4th and 9th or (4th and 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th)
5th and 8th or (5th and 7th, 6th)
6th and 7th only.

Given the probable Field of Ladies, can an American get a 4th?
Can an American get a 5th?
Can an American get a 6th?

I think an American Lady can place in top 6 but the chances for a second Amercian lady to match it up to 13 becomes doubtful. Especially at 6th place. Agree?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Buttercup - You are a thinking poster. I too, think it is unrealistic to get 13 points for any two US Ladies. Here are realistic finishers without podium:

4th and 9th or (4th and 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th)
5th and 8th or (5th and 7th, 6th)
6th and 7th only.

Given the probable Field of Ladies, can an American get a 4th?
Can an American get a 5th?
Can an American get a 6th?

I think an American Lady can place in top 6 but the chances for a second Amercian lady to match it up to 13 becomes doubtful. Especially at 6th place. Agree?
I'm a quantitative poster, I guess :laugh:. Yes, I agree. I cannot see any US lady scoring higher than Yu-Na, Mao, Joannie and Carolina unless those four have meltdowns or have medical issues not allowing them to skate at their regular level. Yu-Na could probably medal even with some medical problems, but I hope she'll be healthy. Other than those four, you have to consider the other two Japanese ladies - Miki, Yukari or Akiko Suzuki (or Fumie?), who will likely all finish pretty high. As I wrote, throw in Sarah Meier if she's healthy, and maybe Kiira Korpi, and there's not much room left for the Americans.

The best two skaters for the US so far this season are Rachael Flatt and either Ashley or Caroline. Rachael, under some circumstances and with really good skating, could finish maybe as high as 5th. She will not get the PCS to compete with the top ladies this season, and rightly so, IMO, so she would need to be very strong technically.

Considering what I have seen of them so far, the likelihood of another American lady getting the other placement needed for 13 seems rather low. I'm not seeing it happening unless Rachael really stuns us all by finishing 4th or higher.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Hopes? :)

Ladies: 1. Flatt, 2. Wagner, 3. Gilles 4. Czisny (don't think it'll end like that, but this IS a HOPE thread..)

Men: 1. Abbott, 2. Weir, 3. Carriere, 4. Bradley (Why do I think that Evan will be withdrawn just prior to Nationals and ask for a bye to Worlds?...I'm not at all hoping he's injured, mind you...I just think there's going to be something unusual surrounding him) I really hope all the men skate well, the top 6 or so are very talented, and to see them all at their best would be amazing. Of course, because it's men's and not ladies, it will be totally ignored by NBC, and we'll only get to see 3 or 4 of the top 10.

Dance: 1.D/W :love::love::love: 2. B/A 3. S/B

Pairs: :confused:

(edit) and because it is a HOPE thread, I want the British Eurosport commentators brought in for the broadcast...and I want no, repeat no fluff pieces on Tanith and Evan's relationship, or the Evan Johnny feud. I just want to see the skaters skate.

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, I'd like Evan Lysacek to show up with new costumes. Please skate gods, make it so!

:rofl: Amen! :bow:

I know the odds are against him, but as one of the 16 300 Canucks in Ottawa who got to see Ryan Bradley shine at SC, I'd love to see him grab the bronze medal here. :yes:

I also hope Davis & White become the national champions. I don't really follow ice dancing, but I LURVE their Samson & Delilah FD! :love:

MasterB

Final Flight
BOTTOM LINE

Flatt needs to hit all 7 triples
Ashely (whoever else) needs to hit all 7 triples

At nationals and WORLDS............and let the chips fall where they may.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I just want it to be a great competition with everyone skating well...no meltdowns!

As for placements, I have no preference for ladies and men, I'll just enjoy seeing the competition.

Would love to see McLaughlin/Brubaker win a second title!

And my highest hope is to see D/W win the gold in ice dance! :love::rock:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I hope Caroline gets screwed less than last year.

Though I shouldn't complain. Last year, the judges only disregarded one element. :sheesh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hope the 2 ladies who win are the two ladies who will skate their best in LA.

I hope that there are no controversies and that the winner wins by good skating, not be default.

I hope that Evan wins another National title with a clean quad combo in both programs.

I hope that Johnny lands his quad.

I hope that Abbot gets a place on the podium and goes to Worlds.

I hope that Tanith and Ben finally skate 3 good rounds.

I hope that Davis and White skate thier best.

I hope that one of the above wins...don't care which.

I hope that McLaughlin and Brubaker bring the house down!

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My hopes for nationals are just three... 1. No withdrawals from pre event illnesses. 2. No withdrawals from pre event injuries. 3. No withdrawals for any reason during the competition.

My hopes for nationals are just three... 1. No withdrawals from pre event illnesses. 2. No withdrawals from pre event injuries. 3. No withdrawals for any reason during the competition.
WOW. Were you expecting withdrawals and what would be the reasons behind the reasons?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just doing those who advance to Worlds...........
My hope is for 3 NEW NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

Men:
1. Abbott
2. Weir
3. Lysacek
(result at Worlds: 3 US Men spots for 2010)

Ladies:
1. Flatt
2. Wagner
(result at Worlds: 2 US Ladies spots for 2010)

Pairs:
1. McLaughlin/Brubaker
2. Castille/Okolski
(result at Worlds: 2 US Pairs spots for 2010 though I could see the US only getting 1 pairs spot)

Dance:
1. Davis/White
2. Belbin/Agosto
3. Samuelson/Bates
(result at Worlds: 3 US Dance spots for 2010)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope that the right man wins without a whole lot of nitpicking... if that means Weir, or Lysacek or Bradley (outside chance at best lol) or Abbott so be it... just so long as we don't have to be sold some story about a tie being called on how much of an edge one skater has in their final spin.

lmarie086

Medalist
I hope that the right man wins without a whole lot of nitpicking... if that means Weir, or Lysacek or Bradley (outside chance at best lol) or Abbott so be it... just so long as we don't have to be sold some story about a tie being called on how much of an edge one skater has in their final spin.

Amen. I hope that whoever wins in whatever discipline, wins fair and square without any way for it to be called a controversy.

Dance: I'm conflicted. As a fan I'd love to see D/W win their first national title; they've been progressing very quickly and while they still have a ways to go from tapping into all their potential, I've been very impressed. On the other hand, B/A have done SO much for US ice dance. They are probably the most decorated team in history for the US, and holding the record for national titles would not be something I could begrudge them. Anyway, as long as one or the other win, I'll be satisfied.
1/2: D/W or B/A
3: S/G
4/5: S/B and H/H (I hope they are in front of S/B, it's just a personal preference; I like them a lot better)

Men: I've been most impressed with Jeremy this season. I really started to like him last season, and he seems to be in a good place right now. Hopefully that continues. I hope both Johnny and Evan get their mojo back. Johnny has been less then exciting this season, and I'm hoping he stops this trend of leaving points on the table.
1. Abott
2. Weir
3. Lysacek
4/5. Carriere/Rippon

Ladies: Flatt and Wagner. Hopefully Wagner's LP comes together more, and that she's been working on that flutz. Maybe we'll see a 3-3 (fully rotated). Hope Flatt goes clean. I'm also hoping that the other ladies who have struggled will have a better go at it at Nationals

Pairs: Easiest to call. McLaughlin/Brubaker for the repeat. I'd love to see Castile/Okolski finally healthy enough to show us what they can really do, but I think Inoue/Baldwin might still get second. I'd like to see Yankowskas/Coughlin continue to improve.

Last edited: