Your Hopes for US NATIONALS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Your Hopes for US NATIONALS

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
OK, we're talking about hope here. Very well. I hope a skater who skates a gorgeous program doesn't finish off the podium because God Almighty said she underrotated. :scowl:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline was no where near clean. She had two downgrades and an e. Actual clean programs with adequate difficulty usually wins; it's just that almost nobody does them. Having good presentation helps.

Yes, also Zhang has much weaker skating skills in comparison to Rochette and Asada. She lacks their speed, ice coverage, flow, power in jumps and stroking, and secure edge control. Caroline skated very cautiously in both her GP events. Granted, TEB was much better than SC. I find her technique to be cringe inducing and find myself worrying that she will hurt herself on those jumps. She's very young and undergoing growing pains . . . let's give her time to mature and adjust and hopefully amend that frightening technique.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
My hopes for nationals are just three... 1. No withdrawals from pre event illnesses. 2. No withdrawals from pre event injuries. 3. No withdrawals for any reason during the competition.

Me too! There's been enough of that everywhere this season.

Oh, and BTW, Evan said in yesterday's teleconference - posted on Icenetwork, that he does have a new costume for Rhapsody.

Last edited:
I am hoping that the Tech Panel is able to see the number of air turns before the Fall, the nonLutz take-off and the easy take-off of a Flutz, and the eyesight ability to see the difference between 45 and 46 degrees on URs.

All of the above for EVERY skater! Is the Tech Panel infallible?

Future hopes, of course involve a review of the 3 major errors and their penalties.

Oldies

Rinkside
After watching the backstage from the Disson Show, I think Caroline has a good chance at 1st or 2nd this year. Her 3 loop really looked like it improved from TEB. I wonder if that is the same for the rest of her jumps?

feraina

Record Breaker
After watching the backstage from the Disson Show, I think Caroline has a good chance at 1st or 2nd this year. Her 3 loop really looked like it improved from TEB. I wonder if that is the same for the rest of her jumps?

I hadn't noticed, but you're right, the take-off is better. She's not excessively twisting her upper-body as she used to. Her 3R isn't higher, but it looks better with a more normal take-off (and pretty healthier on her body too). It'd be *amazing* if she's also lessening the amount of upper-body twist on her flip and lutz take-off.

Yuunnaa<3

Rinkside
Just saw some recent videos of Mirai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVgOn2aiEU&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsF5xirA7Y&feature=channel_page

She looks stronger than she did at NHK (still going for the cutesy look though). The first 3R looks under-rotate, as does the 3T. The second 3R looks better, but hard to tell downgradable or not without slow-mo. The 2A's look great. That last spin is pretty cool. If she can come out before it loses speed, that'd be even better.

So, if Mirai continues to improve on her jumps before National's, she should easily pose a medal threat. The top four ladies from last year should still be the top four to battle it out this year. It may all come down to how consistent and strict the downgrade and edge calls are.

The videos aren't that recent, they were actually taped on October 3rd, you can find that on the Disson Skating website.