Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

On the Ice
    Also, they have the technical ability to back up their high artistic quality of skating. All their elements are unique and creative and their execution is top notch.

Now I can only wonder what they will come up with for this coming year...(music, elements, I can't wait).

Tripping on the Podium
    WOW!
    I've never seen this team before...*new fave*

Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    On ice netowork, there is now a video jounral by Alex "behind the scenes" at Junior Worlds~
    It looks like so much fun!!!
    I just watched it! I'm loving Adam Rippon
    I think they definitely should stay Juniors next year, and try to win Junior Nats & Junior Worlds.
    edit: I remember that Alex did a blog for US Nats in Spokane (was that 2007). Maybe he really likes reporting.
    Last edited by rosee; 03-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    They aren't eligible for seniors, so definitely I would think they will stay Juniors. And since they did not win junior worlds or US nationals in juniors, they won't be forced to skate seniors here in the US.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancexpert View Post
    Also, they have the technical ability to back up their high artistic quality of skating. All their elements are unique and creative and their execution is top notch.

Now I can only wonder what they will come up with for this coming year...(music, elements, I can't wait).
    I so agree. there is no awkward brother/sister moments that most kids have at their age. They are so mature and beautiful....i can't wait to see them in the future.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosee View Post
    I just watched it! I'm loving Adam Rippon
    I think they definitely should stay Juniors next year, and try to win Junior Nats & Junior Worlds.
    edit: I remember that Alex did a blog for US Nats in Spokane (was that 2007). Maybe he really likes reporting.
    In an interview last year I think Alex said he wanted to be a sports reporter after his skating career. On his ice netowork profile it says, "Would have liked to have appeared on ESPN's Dream Job because he would like the opportunity to be a SportsCenter anchor"
    He is a big sports fan apparently

Custom Title
    Alex is definitely a sports fan

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

From icenetwork blogger Mickey Brown:

They're more than just skaters

A great thing about my job is the relationships I form with the skaters I run into at competitions. One that I've become especially friendly with is Alex Shibutani, the U.S. junior and world junior silver medalist ice dancer (with his lovely younger sister, Maia).

Alex and I are both self-admitted sports nuts, and more often than not our conversations center around the state of our favorite Boston-based teams. It came as no surprise then that after I updated my Facebook status by mentioning that I went to the World Baseball Classic final last night at Dodger Stadium, I got a call from Alex today wanting to know what it was like.

I described the feverish passion with which the Korean and Japanese fans rooted for their teams and their countries, the coordinated cheers and chants and drum rhythms they all somehow knew and the clutch performances of Japan's Ichiro Suzuki and Yu Darvish. Alex, who is of Japanese descent, was riveted, like any 17-year-old who is mad about baseball would be.

Rarely in the 15 minutes we spoke did the discussion turn to skating or the world championships, and it struck me that while I'm here at this event that Alex would probably give his left arm to be at and to one day compete in (and, in my very biased opinion, will get to do so in the not-too-distant future ... the competing, not the giving of the left arm), all he wanted to know about was a baseball game. It reminded me that these kids are more than little skating robots, that they think about things other than tightening the rotation on their twizzles, that what gets them really revved up might not be a good practice session but getting together with their band mates for a jam session.

When you look at these people's names as often I do in starting orders, photo captions, articles, etc., you tend to forget that they're more than "skaters." They're real people, with likes and dislikes, just like the rest of us. It's nice to be reminded of that once in a while."

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Alex is definitely a sports fan

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

[/COLOR]
    Thank you for the article!!!
    That settles it, then~

Custom Title
    [/QUOTE] "I remember that Alex did a blog for US Nats in Spokane (was that 2007). Maybe he really likes reporting."[/QUOTE]

Found Maia and Alex's blog. It was actually 2006 US Nationals

The writing is intelligent and fun. Natural story telling ability and lots of personality. Just like their skating!

http://stlouis2006.usfigureskating.o.../Journal1.aspx

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That was a very interesting read! Thanks for posting the link

Alex's birthday was yesterday!!
    He turned 18

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5