Maia & Alex Shibutani Article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Plastic, beautiful lines, passion of skating. If you watch free dances of first three pairs on the resent JGPF and then you watch Shibutanis FD you see a huge difference. For me it's huge.
But again it is normal for dancers of their age, not all were born ingenious (like V/M for instance), the majority must work hard to achieve success.

Wow, I must really disagree with you there. Actually V/M aren't quite my cup of tea. Maia and Alex most definitely had some natural born genius. Look at their 2005 FD when they were only 11 and 14 and Juniors.
Tessa and Scott started skating together at ages seven and nine in 1997 and didn't even make pre-novice until 2001 when they were even near Maia and Alex's ages. There is no way you can say the Shibutanis had no born ingenious, Fashionista.
Though Maia and Alex are still in Junior while Virtue and Moir are in senior, V/M are a good four years older than S/S.
Overall, the Shibutanis are not your robotic, cookie-cutter, typical ice dance couple as almost all of the top senior and junior level competitors are today. They have variation, adding new elements each season to all of their programs while keeping their astounding moves (such as the one foot/one arm spin).
There is something about the Shibutanis as well that allows so many people to connect to them, something that makes people not get caught up in if every tiny aspect of their program is perfect. Unlike V/M, they skate for the audience, and the pleasure of the sport, and people fall in love with them.
Undoubtedly, Virtue and Moir and excellent, but they just lack that born charm that the Shibutanis have and that is not something that anyone can achieve just by working hard.

((sorry, V/M fans for that...:scowl: I still love V/M))

Binthere

On the Ice

viv

On the Ice
I saw them for the first time at Junior Worlds last week - to my surprise Eurosport aired it - and I was absolutely blown away by them. I think they skate much above their age, and though I am sure that they will develop "more" artistry when they grow older and, they have a lot of it yet. Great future! :clap:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Plastic, beautiful lines, passion of skating. If you watch free dances of first three pairs on the resent JGPF and then you watch Shibutanis FD you see a huge difference. For me it's huge.
But again it is normal for dancers of their age, not all were born ingenious (like V/M for instance), the majority must work hard to achieve success.
This is why "artistry" is such a subjective thing and why I think the attempt to quantify PCS was a good idea, if not a well executed one at this point.

When I look at Maia and Alex vs. the other top junior teams, I think they present their programs very well, and their interpretation is very good. If anything, I find C/Z to actually be the least interesting of the top dance teams in juniors. Their performances that I've seen seem to be sort of generic, with a lack of real feeling for the music; also, I don't see them as relating that well to one another - something that hopefully they will develop over time.

Of course the Shibutanis also have things to work on and they can certainly improve, but considering how young they are and how far they've already come, they should have a very bright future ahead of them. :yes:

100yen, in 2001 Tessa was maybe 11 or 12 and Scott was, what - 14? I don't think that's near the same age as the Shibutanis. Also, it was under 6.0, didn't that slow ice dancers' progress up the ranks down a bit? I don't really see those two teams as comparable. Sibling teams are a bit different anyway, as Toni noted it's hard for them to rely on romantic programs, so that kind of pushes them to be creative and find other directions for their skating (Toni, do you really see the Kerrs as blurring that line? I don't).

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I remember this team when they were back in Juvinille and knew they had star quaility. It is not often I follow skaters from the lower ranks so closely, but it is clear that they will be a force to contend with when they make to move to seniors. \Will they try seniors next year? I think they should, and make a shot at the olympics team.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
I remember this team when they were back in Juvinille and knew they had star quaility. It is not often I follow skaters from the lower ranks so closely, but it is clear that they will be a force to contend with when they make to move to seniors. \Will they try seniors next year? I think they should, and make a shot at the olympics team.

Don´t forget how old Maia is! She is born 20.07.1994. So she ist not age-eligable next year for worlds or olympics.

I saw Maia and Alex at her JGP in France the first time. And I can only say - I love them. :bow:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I first saw them skate on Nancy Kerrigan's coverage of Jr. Nationals when they were Intermediates, and you could tell at once they were special.

I really became a huge fan last year, watching their Japaness Drum folk OD on IN at US Nationals.

I'm so glad they had such solid performances at Jr Worlds.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Don´t forget how old Maia is! She is born 20.07.1994. So she ist not age-eligable next year for worlds or olympics.

I saw Maia and Alex at her JGP in France the first time. And I can only say - I love them. :bow:

that's right. Well, they have many years ahead of them, and will peak in time for 2014! I still think they could move up the senior next year. The more experience the better.

100yen

Medalist
that's right. Well, they have many years ahead of them, and will peak in time for 2014! I still think they could move up the senior next year. The more experience the better.

I agree...but maybe one more year in Juniors will let them really hone in on their skills and have a really powerful senior debut...maybe in time for the 2014 Olympics? :D :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree, let them be juniors for another year

quite frankly I wish the rule was you couldn't move up and compete as seniors until you were age elligible... it'd make it so much easier if the rules were consistent from national federation to the international one... but that's just another gripe I have about skating :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toni, I agree with you.

Another thing that having consistent age rules would do; it would keep these overly mismatched pairs from showing up at seniors nationally because they can't skate juniors any more (aged out), but can't skate seniors or juniors internationally.

Last edited:

Sinclare

Rinkside
Saw Icenetwork and this young couple is fantastic. Never saw them before, maybe I did, but never noticed much. Wow, such talent. I loved them! :clap:

100yen

Medalist
Saw Icenetwork and this young couple is fantastic. Never saw them before, maybe I did, but never noticed much. Wow, such talent. I loved them! :clap:

I think their great first Worlds competition will gain them a lot of new fans!!! :yes:

sfgirl

On the Ice
Maia and Alex have a Fan Page!!
http://maia-alex-shibutani.blogspot.com/

Whoever set this up did a really nice job I don't think Maia and Alex have their own website yet, or at least I've never seen one.

The picture links really tell the story of how quickly they have progressed, what an enchanting beauty Maia has always been, and how much Alex especially has grown up. This one is my favorite ;).

http://picasaweb.google.com/gabbynewneo/Shibufan1#5307818388558397634

:laugh:

Oh my gosh how adorable are they?!!!

100yen

Medalist

Ahh! Lucky...you were at the JGP? :yes:

100yen

Medalist
On ice netowork, there is now a video jounral by Alex "behind the scenes" at Junior Worlds~
It looks like so much fun!!!

koreasktr

Rinkside
This quote is from Chock/Zuerlein thread.

Zuerlein is just not as strong a partner as either Agosto, Moir or White. And these days, if you will check out what is actually required from the protocols, the current version of the ice dance rules favors smaller girls and stronger guys than in the days of K&P, for example
Maybe I am bias because I am big fan of Shibutani team but I think Alex is stronger partner/skater/dancer too. He and Maia skate with heart and love of what they are doing. He presents his sister so beautifully!! On EuroSport FD coverage, announcer/commentator person said, "They are different from Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein." I think this is what he mean. They are real team. They are so special. I {and other Korean skating fans} will go to Tokyo for GPF next year to cheer on Shibutanis if they make it {I think they will} ;)

Binthere

On the Ice
I have family and friends in China who can't wait to see them skate there. Cup of China someday? It seems obviously that as skaters of Asian heritage, that fans in Asia are especially drawn to them. But I'll also say that I think one important aspect of their appeal, especially in the context of Asian culture, is their character.

When Maia and Alex skated in Korea, they did not win, and didn't even medal. Their skate in the Original dance was obviously a disappointment. What struck me and I think many people watching though, was how they kept on skating, not "just kept on going" but did so with all of their hearts even after she fell and they had mistakes. While bowing and skating off, they really showed their appreciation, then smiled bravely and with grace in K&C as their disappointing marks were announced.

They came back in the free dance and had a lovely skate. While their scores were not enough to pull them up for a medal, I think they earned something else much more meaningful. I was an annoying mother pointing out to my daughters how impressive and important it was that they skated all out, and showed such good character regardless of whether they had a great skate or a disappointing one. Adversity revealed much to admire, and I think Maia and Alex showed they are very classy kids.

Someone earlier posted that their skating touches hearts, and this earns them fans. To me it is also their character that earns my admiration.

icedancexpert

Rinkside
I completely agree with you Binthere. The Shibutanis have endeared themselves to so many different people in the skating world in only their first year of international skating and have garnered lots of support not only in North America (in the Eurosport FD coverage, the entire Canadian team gives them a standing ovation) but also from Asia (which is fantastic because skating fans in Asia are some of the most dedicated skating fans there are--since they are on the verge of elite status and there are no other ice dance teams of asian heritage that come close to their abilities, there is no doubt that they will be very well-received when they go to the GPF and other future events).

Maia is very poised for a girl of her age and she already carries herself in a much more mature way than any of her peers (part of this is in her terrific costuming--not to mention her natural beauty). Never before have I seen an ice dancer of 14 skate the way she does (in my opinion she is even more advanced than Tessa Virtue).

Alex has rare performance ability for a guy in this sport. He connects with an audience and his sister and really seems to have fun with the audience (they both do) but his face is very expressive and he seems like a very likeable young man. (He also seems to have developed quite a following of admirers considering he is only 17) :laugh: