Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I fell in love with their skating when they won Intermediates in the 05/06 season. It was broadcast on CN8, with Nancy Kerrigan commentating.
    I remember that performance~! Their energy was at such a high level and they had very good speed! The interview they gave was very mature as well. I was so happy for them, they really deserved that medal.

Custom Title
    I was completely floored by suggestions that Maia is "probably done" growing, particularly as was mentioned, in the context that she is Asian. What supports that conclusion?

As a pediatrician of Asian descent myself I am convinced from looking at Maia both on and off the ice that she is far from done growing. I could cite epidemiology (but won't bore people) which supports my view.

Maybe more to common sense, think of plenty of other examples we have seen amongst Asian and Asian American young ladies and when they have had their growth spurts? Michelle Kwan had her tough spurt year when she was 16. Caroline and Mirai - both 15, going on 16 - have had growth spurts in this past year. Maia is 14, and won't even turn 15 until the end of July. Rest assured. Her time will come too.

Seems to me her height is such an issue partly because there is so little else to nit-pick over. I think Alex is at or near his adult height. I find it on the rarer side for an Asian male to have such a nicely proportioned slender long legged dancer's body that he does. When it is Maia's turn and she grows a few more inches they will be just stunning. (It seems he's already shaping up nicely based on the incredibly adorable fan posts on this thread ) My pre-teen daughters agree by the way

So many times we have seen brother sister teams who benefit from well matched looks, but then the girl gets to be too close in height to the boy making some of the more acrobatic skills more difficult. Given the trends in the sport since Code of Points, I think it actually is a bigger problem if the male partner starts to seem too inadequate in size and height in relation to the female.

I think a reason why people seem to even care about this issue is that they are so advanced and mature for their ages. Personally, I cannot remember if we have ever seen someone as young as Maia achieve so much in ice dance (common in singles of course) at such a young age. Regardless of her height, she sure doesn't skate like any 'ole 14 year old. Even off ice - that interview she did on the Nancy Kerrigan show? At eleven?! She could give pointers to skaters twice her age

Just my humble opinion, but backed by some "clinical" insights. Don't worry folks. Maia will grow, and I think it will be just in time, and they will be just fine.
    Last edited by Binthere; 01-21-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Maia's height is an issue because it's ice dance, and in ice dance posture and hold are everything. Alex has to learn over to achieve the correct hold which is a problem. You are right though that the only reason people are talking about her height is because they are so good. They are such a very promising dance team that I think most people fear they will eventually not match height-wise and break up because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    Seems to me her height is such an issue partly because there is so little else to nit-pick over.
    I think it is an issue because so many people really enjoy this team and don't want to see them break up because of something like a big height difference. They are a gorgeous team and they have a lot of potential, but their dance holds do look awkward at times because she is so short.

Binthere!!! Thank you so much for these wonderful comments and insights~! You really know what you are talking about and that is definitely reassuring!!!
    It was very nice to hear from someone in the medical field on this other than people just guessing that Maia will not grow any more D;
    I am glad to hear that the two of them are "shaping up" into great ice dancers (especially Alex haha...). I think Maia will only get more beautiful as she grows too, because she is already very pretty
    They create very nice lines on the ice that other teams are lacking, even ones that are on the senior level.
    It would be heartbreaking if they ever decided to break up, but I honestly don't think that will ever happen...they work together too well and they seem very close :D
    I love to see them succeed ~
    ((I hope they beat Chock/Zuerlein !!))
    ((Sorry all Chock/Zuerlein fans~~~ ))

^ I don't know why, but I love that post!

Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    I love to see them succeed ~
    ((I hope they beat Chock/Zuerlein !!))
    ((Sorry all Chock/Zuerlein fans~~~ ))
    I love to see them have success too. However, in addiion to Chock/Zuuerlein, I believe The Hubbells will be there. Not sure, though.

I'd like to see the US sweep the Dance, but there is one Russian couple knocking on the podium door.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Mathman, How could you not? with that great Alex & Maia banner he has!

They are just as cute as a room full of basset puppies.

http://www.seefido.com/assets/images...nd_puppies.jpg

They are just as cute as a room full of basset puppies.

http://www.seefido.com/assets/images...nd_puppies.jpg
    Unfortunately, that's what I would like to avoid - cuteness. Allow them to skate as grown ups. JMO.

I think Maia will only get more beautiful as she grows too, because she is already very pretty
    ITA. She has, IMO, the most perfect little face!

They are so stinkin cute it isn't even funny, and their talent is just WOW Saw them for the first time in 2008 and they were totally the highlight of their event(s). Love. Them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I love to see them have success too. However, in addiion to Chock/Zuuerlein, I believe The Hubbells will be there. Not sure, though.
    Yes, I really like the Hubbells but I hope the Shibutanis overtake them as well ~!!!
    I think of Chock/Zuerlein immediately because of their marginal win over the Shibutanis at Nationals.
    I think they will use this next month or so to really perfect their skating >:D ((The Shibutanis I mean-))

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I don't know why, but I love that post!
    THANK YOU~!!!

THANK YOU as well!!
    Last edited by 100yen; 02-10-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added a few thigs :D

Rinkside
    Yes, I really like the Hubbells but I hope the Shibutanis overtake them as well ~!!!
    I think of Chock/Zuerlein immediately because of their marginal win over the Shibutanis at Nationals.
    I think they will use this next month or so to really perfect their skating >:D ((The Shibutanis I mean-))
    I hope so too!!!
    Shibutanis young (14, 17) and this is their first year in Junior internationally. H/H, C/Z, and R/G have all competed before. Maia + Alex have no pressure. Everyone else has pressure!
    We will see!!! I think Shibutanis Paso Doble is great and this is dance for JW.
    Bythe way, I have never seen so much support (world wide) for young dance team. They are so special. I wonder if they know they have so so much international fan appeal?!

Rinkside

Kind of off topic but..;)

Ooh and also...lots of people talk about Yu-Na and Patrick Chan
    But I love Alex!! :chorus: and if anybody date Alex I would only be okay with Yu-Na. AHAH!!

Custom Title
    Good duo. They are technically strong and may even have the best twizzles among american pairs who traditionally have problems with this element. But IMO they look as a pair skaters not only because of their height difference but also because of lack of artistry. But I hope it's just a question of their age and time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast