Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani Article

Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    Good duo. They are technically strong and may even have the best twizzles among american pairs who traditionally have problems with this element. But IMO they look as a pair skaters not only because of their height difference but also because of lack of artistry. But I hope it's just a question of their age and time.
    I don't see any lack of artistry in their skating. I think their FD this year is beautifully presented.

Custom Title
    But I see. Sorry.

But I see. Sorry.
    Don't be sorry. Its just a difference in opinions. I think That Maia and Alex are really complete skaters, in that they do well with both the technical and the artistic aspects of skating. But their presentation may not be everyones cup of tea.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIce View Post
    Don't be sorry. Its just a difference in opinions. I think That Maia and Alex are really complete skaters, in that they do well with both the technical and the artistic aspects of skating. But their presentation may not be everyones cup of tea.
    Perhaps in time, the differences in their heights will be less, and the presentation will evolve. IMO, that is the only drawback to their skating for being young skaters.

On the Ice
    I love me a cup of some Shibutani tea! HAHA

They're great! I just wonder what people consider "artistry" if Maia and Alex are lacking it.

They're artistry and performance ability seem evident to me just based on how many people have fallen in love with them as well as their skating. When was the last time a junior dance team commanded this much positive attention/admiration from people in the international skating community? People admire good, even great technicians, but will love/adore skaters whose skating touches their heart.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    perhaps in time, the differences in their heights will be less, and the presentation will evolve. Imo, that is the only drawback to their skating for being young skaters.
    ita.

There are the Zaretiskis, The Kerrs, The Hubbells, The Shibutanis and maybe more sibling teams in Dance and Pairs.

yet some posters insist that they do not like siblings in competitions. Other than the romantic angle, what would be wrong with siblings skating together? I don't think dancing has to be romantic, but there should be rapport.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    For that matter, consider how popular the Duchesnays were with the public.

are there people complaining of them being siblings? I didn't see it...

I actually like them out of all of the sibling teams because they don't seem to still try to put that romantic flair into any of their programs... I'm never uncomfortable seeing some of the themes/lift positions that they have in their programs... the Hubbells and Kerrs blurr the line sometimes and it just leaves me feeling weird... when they aren't doing that angle they're enjoyable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancexpert View Post
    They're great! I just wonder what people consider "artistry" if Maia and Alex are lacking it.
    Plastic, beautiful lines, passion of skating. If you watch free dances of first three pairs on the resent JGPF and then you watch Shibutanis FD you see a huge difference. For me it's huge.
    But again it is normal for dancers of their age, not all were born ingenious (like V/M for instance), the majority must work hard to achieve success.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Plastic, beautiful lines, passion of skating. If you watch free dances of first three pairs on the resent JGPF and then you watch Shibutanis FD you see a huge difference. For me it's huge.
    But again it is normal for dancers of their age, not all were born ingenious (like V/M for instance), the majority must work hard to achieve success.
    Wow, I must really disagree with you there. Actually V/M aren't quite my cup of tea. Maia and Alex most definitely had some natural born genius. Look at their 2005 FD when they were only 11 and 14 and Juniors.
    Tessa and Scott started skating together at ages seven and nine in 1997 and didn't even make pre-novice until 2001 when they were even near Maia and Alex's ages. There is no way you can say the Shibutanis had no born ingenious, Fashionista.
    Though Maia and Alex are still in Junior while Virtue and Moir are in senior, V/M are a good four years older than S/S.
    Overall, the Shibutanis are not your robotic, cookie-cutter, typical ice dance couple as almost all of the top senior and junior level competitors are today. They have variation, adding new elements each season to all of their programs while keeping their astounding moves (such as the one foot/one arm spin).
    There is something about the Shibutanis as well that allows so many people to connect to them, something that makes people not get caught up in if every tiny aspect of their program is perfect. Unlike V/M, they skate for the audience, and the pleasure of the sport, and people fall in love with them.
    Undoubtedly, Virtue and Moir and excellent, but they just lack that born charm that the Shibutanis have and that is not something that anyone can achieve just by working hard.

((sorry, V/M fans for that... I still love V/M))

Custom Title
    Maia and Alex have a Fan Page!!
    http://maia-alex-shibutani.blogspot.com/

Whoever set this up did a really nice job I don't think Maia and Alex have their own website yet, or at least I've never seen one.

The picture links really tell the story of how quickly they have progressed, what an enchanting beauty Maia has always been, and how much Alex especially has grown up. This one is my favorite .

http://picasaweb.google.com/gabbynew...18388558397634

Custom Title
    I saw them for the first time at Junior Worlds last week - to my surprise Eurosport aired it - and I was absolutely blown away by them. I think they skate much above their age, and though I am sure that they will develop "more" artistry when they grow older and, they have a lot of it yet. Great future!

This is why "artistry" is such a subjective thing and why I think the attempt to quantify PCS was a good idea, if not a well executed one at this point.

When I look at Maia and Alex vs. the other top junior teams, I think they present their programs very well, and their interpretation is very good. If anything, I find C/Z to actually be the least interesting of the top dance teams in juniors. Their performances that I've seen seem to be sort of generic, with a lack of real feeling for the music; also, I don't see them as relating that well to one another - something that hopefully they will develop over time.

Of course the Shibutanis also have things to work on and they can certainly improve, but considering how young they are and how far they've already come, they should have a very bright future ahead of them.

100yen, in 2001 Tessa was maybe 11 or 12 and Scott was, what - 14? I don't think that's near the same age as the Shibutanis. Also, it was under 6.0, didn't that slow ice dancers' progress up the ranks down a bit? I don't really see those two teams as comparable. Sibling teams are a bit different anyway, as Toni noted it's hard for them to rely on romantic programs, so that kind of pushes them to be creative and find other directions for their skating (Toni, do you really see the Kerrs as blurring that line? I don't).
    Last edited by Buttercup; 03-03-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I remember this team when they were back in Juvinille and knew they had star quaility. It is not often I follow skaters from the lower ranks so closely, but it is clear that they will be a force to contend with when they make to move to seniors. \Will they try seniors next year? I think they should, and make a shot at the olympics team.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast