ANGELS ON ICE in Korea. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ANGELS ON ICE in Korea.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the beautiful photos of Johnny and YuNa and the youtube links. Nice to see Johnny's swan again. YuNa looked so happy skating before her home crowd, they both are just to cute for words.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Must say JW is staying consistent with his desired message to skate for a different country, must say I respect that conviction but have to wonder. They must have denied him citizenship by now that he could afford a new jacket. Maybe show something else important to him rather than the same old "I wish I skated for Russia."

Wonder if there is another country that would accept this? Shows our freedom AND history that is for sure. Like the message JW just ready for a new one from ya.

GOODNESS! Yu-Na! or should I say goddess. Complete with the band of cherubs and everything!
:clap:

libby

Match Penalty
Must say JW is staying consistent with his desired message to skate for a different country, must say I respect that conviction but have to wonder. They must have denied him citizenship by now that he could afford a new jacket. Maybe show something else important to him rather than the same old "I wish I skated for Russia."

Wonder if there is another country that would accept this? Shows our freedom AND history that is for sure. Like the message JW just ready for a new one from ya.

Just because Johnny wears jackets from other countries like Russia and Korea that his fans there have given to him doesn't mean he is criticizing the US or trying to give up his American citizenship to become a Russian or Korean citizen, and there is nothing for Americans or USFS to object to. He is celebrating the wonderful fans in those countries who have been so supportive of him - good for him!

Even the head of the US Olympic committee stood up for him at the Salt Lake City Olympics and said he thought it was great that Johnny wore a Russian jacket to practice, because it was common for athletes from different countries to trade gear at international competitions and it showed interest in each others' cultures and international friendship.

By the way, the Korean fans gave Johnny some really fantastic gifts for Christmas, including a cake with a figure of him in his SP costume on top, a framed jigsaw puzzle of himself, a traditional Korean costume, and a beautiful book depicting him in all kinds of settings from movies and such. You can see photos on Johnny's forum:

http://johnnyweirmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/4128?page=5

Last edited:

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Wonder if there is another country that would accept this?

Sergei Voronov says he prefers American and Canadian skaters to Russians, wore a shirt that said USA at CoR practice and I've seen a photo where he and Johnny exchanged team shirts (Johnny wore Russian shirt, Sergei - Team USA shirt). No one there cares.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Q: Hi Johnny. What is your take on the criticism of the WNBA star (forgot her name, sorry) who played for the Russian team in the Olympics. Some people called her a "traitor" while other people think it is great. Also, would you skate for Russia in the Olympics or Worlds if asked? Bob

A: I think most major sports team in the United States are made up of players from other countries in addition to Americans. Nobody was upset when Yao Ming didn’t play for America, it was natural that he play for China. A lot of people have asked me this question. I am American to the core, but my version of being American may be different than most. I would see it as an enormous compliment if Russia or any country thought enough of me to ask me to represent their country. If everything was in order and I was a citizen of that country and was able, I think I would. At the moment I carry one passport, and am committed to winning medals for my country. Another thing I say a lot is that I feel I represent every country when I take the ice. In Sweden at the world championships this year I had flags waving from USA, Sweden, Russia, Ireland, Hungary and Japan. That is an enormous compliment to me. As American as I am, and as proud of my country as I am, I feel it is important to be a good representative of our world and all it’s peoples and cultures.
From his last Q&A.

He is a citizen of the world. The world would be a better place if more people thought like him about nationality and patriotism.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Even the head of the US Olympic committee stood up for him at the Salt Lake City Olympics and said he thought it was great that Johnny wore a Russian jacket to practice, because it was common for athletes from different countries to trade gear at international competitions and it showed interest in each others' cultures and international friendship.

Salt Lake? or Torino?

;)

Sergei Voronov says he prefers American and Canadian skaters to Russians, wore a shirt that said USA at CoR practice and I've seen a photo where he and Johnny exchanged team shirts (Johnny wore Russian shirt, Sergei - Team USA shirt). No one there cares.
Neither would I. There is far too much consideration given to nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. As Shaekespeare would say: The skate is the thing! :cool:

psycho

On the Ice
Oh crap. I wore a hoodie that said "France" on it just last week. I hope no one thinks I am sending the French messages and begging for citizenship...;)