Yu-Na Sang at her christmas show. (YouTube) | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Sang at her christmas show. (YouTube)

atatime

Rinkside
1118E109495370D3291F53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udWJqKd0QM

:love:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
This may sound mean, but I really think Yu-na should stick to skating...

Last edited:

atatime

Rinkside
This may sound mean, but I really think Yu-na should stick to skating.

This is a christmas show and also about skating.
She just prepared for a event for her fan. :)

Yeah. Yu-Na is very popular and all the people of Korea love her.
(of course, everyone love her skating best of her talents. :)
It cannot be compared.)
So sometimes, like these times for breath,
many broadcasting station asked her to be in a show.
And Yu-Na appears on TV only if it doesn't disturb her skating.

Yu-Na always said that she definitely doesn't have any plan
except her skating and she knows what to do exactly.
She will go back to toronto soon, and then hide herself,
concentrate on her traning. :)
So you don't have to worry about that.

Last edited:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Yu-Na Sang at her christmas show

I think she sings quite well and she is such a lovely lady to boot. It was very sweet.

Dizzy

bekalc

Record Breaker
Oh I know Yu-na was singing for fun and each time I hear it sounds better than I originally thought. But I think it would take some work if she ever wanted a record deal and for me not to be not annoyed by the record deal..

There are so many starving singers out there amazing beautiful voices and Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson, and Carly Patterson get record deals.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow! she sounded really professional. that was really pretty!
:clap::clap::clap:

gourry

Final Flight
Oh I know Yu-na was singing for fun and each time I hear it sounds better than I originally thought. But I think it would take some work if she ever wanted a record deal and for me not to be not annoyed by the record deal..

Now, just slow down a bit.:laugh: I wound't be surprised records companies are dying to have contracts with her given her popularity in Korea and her singing ability. But it is my understanding there was no mention about that yet. She made it very clear that she will focus only on skating until the Olympic games and after that, it is totally up to her whatever she does.
And man, she does sing well. I think her voice sounds even better when she sings.

lcd

Match Penalty
In Korea, before her fans... she could be completely stone-tone deaf... and they would love her just the same. Good for her for not being inhibited!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's a small voice but not bad at all. She certainly knows how to produce a sound correctly and sings on pitch and her voice is not unpleasant. And boy is she pretty.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I think she sings very well! I was shocked lol. She's got a much better voice than say, Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson etc.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's a small voice but not bad at all. She certainly knows how to produce a sound correctly and sings on pitch and her voice is not unpleasant. And boy is she pretty.

ITA and she is I must say absolutely gorgeous.

mjames

Rinkside
I must say I am most impressed!
It is so difficult to sing in cold conditions. My sister is an opera singer and they have outdoor events during the holidays. The voice constricts in the cold, the nose runs she says it is very difficult to stay on pitch. She was fantastic, so talented! I agree she looked and sounded beautiful! I wished the cape was a tad longer! She is a stunning girl none the less and makes anything she wears look great.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't she was quite good & had a very pretty voice. She has a better chance to be a professional singer than several former skaters have at being actresses!;)

ks777

Record Breaker
I thought she was good!! At first, I thought it was kinda funny that she is doing some karaoke instead of skating but she has a really nice voice. I watched it like 3 times already.

Star85

Rinkside
Yu na's name...

Ok, I was always under the impression that her first name was "Yu na", and her last name was "Kim". That's how I had always heard it on tv, articles, etc. Then this season, I've heard commentators, announcers, and read articles where they reverse her name, and call her "Kim Yu na". And at this event, which was in Korea, they called her "Kim Yu na" too. Does anyone know for SURE what her REAL name is?! This is just kind of bugging me :think:...

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok, I was always under the impression that her first name was "Yu na", and her last name was "Kim". That's how I had always heard it on tv, articles, etc. Then this season, I've heard commentators, announcers, and read articles where they reverse her name, and call her "Kim Yu na". And at this event, which was in Korea, they called her "Kim Yu na" too. Does anyone know for SURE what her REAL name is?! This is just kind of bugging me :think:...

In most (maybe all?) Asian countries, a person's name is listed in the "reverse" of most western countries. So someone in America whose name is John Doe would be written or spoken of as Doe John in Asia. The family name [what we in America call the "last" name] is said first, then the given [first] name.

So Yu Na is the best western equivalent of Yu Na's given/first name, and Kim her family/last name. Most western broadcasters will say "Yu Na Kim." But many eastern broacasts will say "Kim Yu Na."

Oddly to me, because there had been and were many other asian skaters competing at the world level at the time (of course), some broadcasters in the US went through a period of calling Lu Chen Chen Lu, explaining as I did about the names. But they weren't consistent and didn't keep it up.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The family name is the honored name in the far east. Because this is so, the family name is written and spoken first, and then the given name follows. This is the custom. Therefore Koreans say Kim (family name) Yu Na (given name).

In the western world, the given name is written and spoken first, followed by the family name. So most of the time when she is introduced here, it is the reverse... Yu Na Kim.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I actually asked a Korean friend how to pronounce Yu-Na's given name in Korean and she explained it's not Yu as if you were saying the word 'you' but Yuhn. It's pronounced as if you were saying the word 'fun' but with a 'y' sound in the beginning. The second syllable is similar to how we, Americans, would pronounce 'Na' except there is no 'n' sound, so it's pronounced 'ah'.

It ended up being a long conversation, but my friend was confused as to why the American version of her name is Yu-Na because 'you-na' and 'yuhn-ah' are two different names in Korean.

And then I asked a Japanese friend how to pronounce Mao's given name in Japanese and she said Asada Mao, which was quick and easy for me to remember! :laugh: