How would you tell unterrotation in the loop jump? | Golden Skate

How would you tell unterrotation in the loop jump?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I often see the slow-mo closely and still cannot really tell the UR when the loop as the second jump is downgraded. So I wonder if I may be counting differently than you are supposed to. Where are you suppose to start counting the rotation? Is that when the blade leaves the ice?

I also have an impression that they are getting a lot stricter in their calls lately. Or are the skaters who do the loop actually getting more prone to URs lately?

Bennett

Record Breaker
The ISU would say, don't worry your pretty little head about that. Just trust the judges and all will be well.

I'll say the only way to know for _sure_ about a lot of cases of underrotation would be to examine the tracings:

:rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The ISU would say, don't worry your pretty little head about that. Just trust the judges and all will be well.

:rofl::agree::rofl::agree:

That is so definitively perfect, There is nothing else that matters in the end anyhow.;)

I think it may be an astute Caller who considers pre-rotations as underrotations because a half turn on the ice before the actual jump, which so often happens in combos, would not add up to whatever a triple air turn would make the jump valid.

Landings for combos are quite easy because of the momentum. It's the takeoffs that are definitely questionable.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Loops don't have a specific pre-rotation call on them, usually you will see the boot wobble to the inside first and then outside (so the skater is essentially doing the balance of the rotation on their toepick on the ice), which is what they've nailed Asada and Ando for this season.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Loops don't have a specific pre-rotation call on them, usually you will see the boot wobble to the inside first and then outside (so the skater is essentially doing the balance of the rotation on their toepick on the ice), which is what they've nailed Asada and Ando for this season.

If they keep calling UR with the loop, we may never seen any 3+3 combination with the loop jump. I personally like the loop better than toe pick and all the juniors will start staying away from that combo. Right now we have what, Asada, Ando, Wagner and Flatt, only 4 ladies that are doing the loop combo. :disagree: