Mao Asada vs.Yu-Na Kim - Round 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada vs.Yu-Na Kim - Round 2

shine

Record Breaker
I disagree. 4CC is starting to build prestige in the past two years.It is great stage to set up pressure(aka takahashi perfect programs) or to be a confidence booster(aka buttle and mao 2008).
I agree. 4CC is literally the new Euros as far as singles are concerned.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I disagree. 4CC is starting to build prestige in the past two years.It is great stage to set up pressure(aka takahashi perfect programs) or to be a confidence booster(aka buttle and mao 2008). If Mao,Yu-Na both do well(only minor mistakes). They will go into worlds equal but if one faulters the pressure will greatly increase for that skater. Same thing for the men with Chan,Abbott,Evan, Oda, Kozuka etc.

It still has a long way to go to catch up to the Euros though. For years, the top skaters in the US and Japan have sat the competition out to focus on worlds. Mainly Arakawa, Kwan and Cohen get most of the blame. At least this year's 4CC will actually have the best American, Canadian, Japanese and Korean skaters so it will effectively be our version of Euros. I have no doubt that if those countries continue to send their best skaters to 4CCs as preparation for worlds, that the championship will eventually earn respect of fans and media alike, and therefore gain prestige. But one place 4CC cannot match Euros is its history.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in 2001 everyone showed up because it was in the olympic venue... I don't see why they won't do the same this time around.

shine

Record Breaker
It still has a long way to go to catch up to the Euros though. For years, the top skaters in the US and Japan have sat the competition out to focus on worlds. Mainly Arakawa, Kwan and Cohen get most of the blame. At least this year's 4CC will actually have the best American, Canadian, Japanese and Korean skaters so it will effectively be our version of Euros. I have no doubt that if those countries continue to send their best skaters to 4CCs as preparation for worlds, that the championship will eventually earn respect of fans and media alike, and therefore gain prestige. But one place 4CC cannot match Euros is its history.
It's already getting a lot more attention than a few years ago and the US, Canada, China and Japan have all been naming their top skaters to 4CC baring withdrawals. Especially with the expanding talent pool in Asia and their federation being willing to send these top talents, it has partially inspired the rest of 4CC countries to do the same as well. I think the level of prestige is almost as high as Euros and the level of competition very intense in the recent years.

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
I wish Yuna could bring her 3 loop back. Throwing three 2A into one program seems too much no matter how gorgeous that 2A is executed.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's already getting a lot more attention than a few years ago and the US, Canada, China and Japan have all been naming their top skaters to 4CC baring withdrawals. Especially with the expanding talent pool in Asia and their federation being willing to send these top talents, it has partially inspired the rest of 4CC countries to do the same as well. I think the level of prestige is almost as high as Euros and the level of competition very intense in the recent years.

Kind of an aside- I think the USFS needs to push Nationals back to the second week of January where it was before. After the NBC deal is over, and the ratings haven't necessarily been sky-high anyway, I think this is the first thing they should do. As it stands, there is only a 2-week break between US Nats and 4CCs. Doesn't make it any easier.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I wish Yuna could bring her 3 loop back. Throwing three 2A into one program seems too much no matter how gorgeous that 2A is executed.

She practices it and it sounds like she always plans to go for it (in her element list) but then changes her mind during the program. But yeah it would be nice to see her do it.

I think some of her issue with the loop is psychological.

LKR

Rinkside
While neither would like to lose this event, I don't think it is such a huge deal for either of them. I think this would be a perfect competition for Kim to bring back her triple loop, and it would also be a great meet for Asada to play around with a slightly different jump layout for her LP (perhaps replacing 3F+3L with 3F+3T and inserting the 3Lz back into the program). For both girls, I think this competition is really about fine-tuning their programs to see what will work in L.A. and what won't. I think the event serves the most importance to Joannie Rochette. It will be interesting to see in a preview to worlds if she has the goods to possibly split Kim and Asada either way for silver, or even best both of them. Also, it will be interesting to see how Rochette copes with competing at home, as the 2006 Worlds didn't go exactly as planned. The winner here could or could not be the champion at Worlds, but I'm predicting Kim to take the world title this year.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

And I wish Mao has changed her Masquerade dress. It's not a bad routine, but the dress is just wrong.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Could you elaborate why ?

Because of the colour and the style. A few days ago I discovered that there's a story behind "Masquerade waltz": a man is going to kill her wife and that is her last dance. So I understood why Mao wears an evening dress. But even so, it's not the right dress because I think the music is colourful. I live near Venice and I have a "colourful" idea of a masked ball, for the Carnival of Venice, you know. The music suggests me something red or purple. So the power of the music would be more expressed to the audience. When Mao did the encore after NHK Trophy, skating the step sequence with the exhibition dress, it was much much better :)

kandidy

Final Flight
And I wish Mao has changed her Masquerade dress. It's not a bad routine, but the dress is just wrong.

I have no problem with her dress. I like it and when I look at the close up one, the texture and fabric looks so pretty and sexy.

screech

Final Flight
in 2001 everyone showed up because it was in the olympic venue... I don't see why they won't do the same this time around.

Exactly - why would they want to miss out on a chance to compete at the Olympic venue? Any skater can book a week of ice time to practice at the venue in the next year but it's completely different to be there in a competition atmosphere with most of their main competitors there.

icyboid

Rinkside
If Yu-Na hits her short program, her lead will be insurmountable unless she totally bombs the free. Mao can match Yu-Na on every element in the short except the 3-3 combination, and it's very rare that Mao's 3-3 will be called as such.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't care much for either but definitely Kim over Asada. Kim has the superior presentation IMO, but Asada's got the stronger jumps. The only one this season that has been able to score in their range is wildcard Rochette.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
If Yu-Na hits her short program, her lead will be insurmountable unless she totally bombs the free. Mao can match Yu-Na on every element in the short except the 3-3 combination, and it's very rare that Mao's 3-3 will be called as such.

If Yu-Na hits the SP she would score 72 and more!

ANW

On the Ice
when was the last time Yuna had a clean short program? the 2007 worlds? I now have two wishes for Yuna, skate clean in SP & bring back the loop in LP.

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I think Yu-Na would win. Better artistry, the judges appreciate it.

Why ''better artistry''? The argument for YuNa over Mao is almost always ''better artistry''. Kim is a very artistic skater. But so is Mao. She's a very well-rounded skater. I don't see how Mao lacks in artistry compared to Kim.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Why ''better artistry''? The argument for YuNa over Mao is almost always ''better artistry''. Kim is a very artistic skater. But so is Mao. She's a very well-rounded skater. I don't see how Mao lacks in artistry compared to Kim.

To me, Yu-Na "Sheherazade" is more involving because creates an atmosphere, a story and this is reflected on higher PCS. Mao's program is powerful, but it lacks of something ("Clair de Lune" is incredible, though!). Last time the judges gave her 6.95 points for the transitions, 0.45 less than Yu-Na. Of course it's not easy to start a routine thinking of two triple axels and be also an actress. I don't know if at 4CC Mao will do the axels and triple-triple again, but let's imagine they have the same technical content and both are clean. If we see it through the judges' point of view, I think they would prize Yu-Na's style: we saw they really like her, since 2007 Worlds.

herios

Medalist
Because of the colour and the style. A few days ago I discovered that there's a story behind "Masquerade waltz": a man is going to kill her wife and that is her last dance. So I understood why Mao wears an evening dress. But even so, it's not the right dress because I think the music is colourful. I live near Venice and I have a "colourful" idea of a masked ball, for the Carnival of Venice, you know. The music suggests me something red or purple. So the power of the music would be more expressed to the audience. When Mao did the encore after NHK Trophy, skating the step sequence with the exhibition dress, it was much much better :)

Yes, it is indeed a tragic waltz, you got the story right. That is why i find black a very suitable colour. I don't see why a purple/red would be more appropiate. Definitely a dark colour is more in tone with the music's dramatism. I am curious if you have seen the 1997 worlds, where ice dancers Anjelika Krylova and Oleg Ovsiannikov world silver medalists have danced a "masterpeice" imo to this music, not enough rewarded by the judges. That time Anjelika wore a white with shades of blue /grey dress and probably she should've had a different dress.

Last edited: