Mao Asada vs.Yu-Na Kim - Round 2 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada vs.Yu-Na Kim - Round 2

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think they are equal artistically, but I don't care for Masquerade. So I think Yu-na should get higher PCS for her program.

This being said I think if both are clean and Mao lands the two triple axels it should probably go to Mao because that two triple axel thing is pretty darn amazing.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I think they are equal artistically, but I don't care for Masquerade. So I think Yu-na should get higher PCS for her program.

This being said I think if both are clean and Mao lands the two triple axels it should probably go to Mao because that two triple axel thing is pretty darn amazing.

Yep, and I suspect Mao has prepared triple axel - triple toe :clap:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
There is no rivalry, IMO. There's Mao with her 2 3A's and the rest hoping she'll make a mistake or two.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I got a feeling this going to be Yuna round. Although i want Mao to win 4CC and Yuna to win the world, so all of them have at least one world title each. If this happen, Miki, Mao and Yuna will all be both jr. and senior world champions heading to the Olympics. Only one skater will going to be the olympics champion so at least they have a world title to their name.

bekalc

Record Breaker
There is no rivalry, IMO. There's Mao with her 2 3A's and the rest hoping she'll make a mistake or two.

That's assuming that Mao can do everything cleanly, which Mao has yet to do. Let's not get into the fact that Mao has yet to get credit for a 3/3 this season, whereas Yu-na is very consistent with hers.

IF Yu-na could just go clean with her short program, that little 3/3 could give her a nice 6 point cushion over Mao. The point is until Mao can fix her 3/3 issues, her "dominance" over Kim isn't happening.

I suspect the skater who comes on top, will be the one who finally starts skating clean.

You can say all you want that there is "no rivalry" but it is Kim and not Mao, who has the highest scores this season.

Last edited:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Hi everyone! This is my very first post and I'm so excited to be able to join this wonderful forum.

I think that both Mao and Yu-na are really amazing skaters. Who ever thought that a female figure skater could put two 3 axels in one program and have such amazing, flawless jumps!

Something that I have noticed this season is Mao's choreography in her Masquerade program. I can imagine how difficult it would be to put so much emotion into her waltz music. It seems as though she never stops and continuously executes smooth elements for 4 minutes straight and it really amazes me how much stamina her program requires. :bow:

I'm really hoping to seeing two clean programs from Mao and Yu-na at 4CC and Worlds. These will be fun events to watch!! :yes:

shine

Record Breaker
Something that I have noticed this season is Mao's choreography in her Masquerade program. I can imagine how difficult it would be to put so much emotion into her waltz music. It seems as though she never stops and continuously executes smooth elements for 4 minutes straight and it really amazes me how much stamina her program requires. :bow:
Never stops stroking and doing 3 turns, that is.

MrHand

Rinkside
Stating how good a one skater is in this fourm does not change a thing. Or influence people's thinking or their eyes when they watch the skating. We can only hope the competition and venues are setup so that each skater performs to the best of their potential, everytime. There is beauty in nature -- unaltered randomness and its outcome.

I believe Mao has fully reached her skating potential and well into her decline years. Whereas Yu-Na has only reached 3 in out of 5 scale. More beautiful and "amazing" skating awaits for Yu-Na. These two skaters may meet only 4 more times in head to head competition. And olympic winner will retire. Yu-Na will most likely win all four and retire from amateur skating.

Apply all disclaimers for what said above.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Stating how good a one skater is in this fourm does not change a thing. Or influence people's thinking or their eyes when they watch the skating. We can only hope the competition and venues are setup so that each skater performs to the best of their potential, everytime. There is beauty in nature -- unaltered randomness and its outcome.

I believe Mao has fully reached her skating potential and well into her decline years. Whereas Yu-Na has only reached 3 in out of 5 scale. More beautiful and "amazing" skating awaits for Yu-Na. These two skaters may meet only 4 more times in head to head competition. And olympic winner will retire. Yu-Na will most likely win all four and retire from amateur skating.

Don't worry I will.

ANW

On the Ice
that may not be true. Yu-Na's recent struggle on the loop could be an indication she is already in the downturn. And noticeably, the loop and salchow which gave her troubles are both edge jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree that Asada has maxed her potential. However, I do NOT agree that she is on the downswing just yet. TEB was an aberration...she seemed to do much better at GPF. Anyway, I think that's all I'll say.

shine

Record Breaker
Stating how good a one skater is in this fourm does not change a thing. Or influence people's thinking or their eyes when they watch the skating.
Maybe you should read this statement again yourself? :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
This statement is rather presumptuous. She landed both he 3A's and only scored only 123, which is a very beatable score. That tells me Asada landing both of her 3A's doesn't automatically make her unbeatable at all.

ks777

Record Breaker
I hope Yuna will win because her programs are so beautifully choreographed. On the other hand, Mao's programs this season are really.. boring and not well choreographed.

I hope Akiko Suzuki medals!!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Masquerade Waltz? Boring?:laugh: I don't see how anyone can say that. No doubt Kim's SP is more well choreographed than Mao, but it's definitely not boring!

indicatoto101

On the Ice
that may not be true. Yu-Na's recent struggle on the loop could be an indication she is already in the downturn. And noticeably, the loop and salchow which gave her troubles are both edge jumps.

Her struggle with the loop isn't recent. I recall Yuna only landing one loop in what two years? But even with 4 triples, she can still manage to outscore Mao because Mao hasn't maxed out her spins, and Yuna gets slightly her PCS for her LP program.

shine

Record Breaker
Masquerade Waltz? Boring?:laugh: I don't see how anyone can say that. No doubt Kim's SP is more well choreographed than Mao, but it's definitely not boring!
Masquerade Waltz is Mao's LP, I'm not sure why it is compared to Yuna's SP.
And add me to the list of those who find Asada's LP boring. Like I've said before, not only is the music monotonous, the choreography is pretty much non-existent since it basically consists of stroking, simple 3-turns and arm waving. It doesn't help that the SLSS at the end just drags on and on.
OTOH, I find her SP to be a much better choreographed program.

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I'm really going to probably get bashed for saying this (since it's religious)...

But I think since Yuna converted to Catholicism her skating has gotten so much better. Maybe God is helping to support and protect her? :D Or faith itself is just making her feel better about her programs...