World Team Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World Team Challenge

They should allow the countries to weigh the number of spots per discipline based on their strengths, with at least one in each discipline, and somehow weigh the scores across the disciplines so that it balances out...

That would be a quality competition all around.
I like it. That way we could see more top-notch skating (two Chinese pairs, for instance), instead of countries struggling to come up with someone who won't embarrass them.

Another idea would be to allow two total in pairs or dance, but you could send one of each or two in the same discipline, depending on your strength.

The way it is laid out. I don't expect a world championship-like competition. While the prize money is good, it doesn't seem to be necessary for these chosen athletes. Their Feds take care of them money-wise, and if I read right, the Feds are the ones who collect the money. The travel time is also a factor and how it affects their major competition practice time.

IMHO it should take place in July to break-up the lull in fs.

The way it is laid out. I don't expect a world championship-like competition.
Well, there is only one world championship. No need for another.

I look at this more like the after-season cast party. There used to be a spring cheesefest, where the skaters could let down their hair, celebrate the end of the season and give the fans a last thank-you. Now that Japan has become the big figure skating Mecca, this seems like an appropriate event to close things out with.

I assume that the organizers are trying the national team thing to start getting people into the patriotic Olympic mode.

Anyway, I think it will be cool. Go Italy! :cool:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, for the amount of prize money available for the skaters and their respective federations and associations, I think this competition will be not be viewed as a cheesefest.

Also, this is not another World Championship for individual skaters... this will be a World Team Championship, which I suspect respective federations/associations will covet as much as the skaters covet winning their individual World medals.

Anyone who wishes to download a personal copy of the ISU Communications #1490 (Governing Rules for the Innaugural World Team Trophy) can do so here - ISU World Team Trophy (Governing Rules)

Well, for the amount of prize money available for the skaters and their respective federations and associations, I think this competition will be not be viewed as a cheesefest.
A singles skater from the winning team will earn $30,000, minus the federation's cut of 10%..

In comparison, I believe that back in the day the men's and women's winner of the typical cheesefest got about $50,000 (the same as for a world championship.)

I don't know why everyone picks on the cheesefests as something the skaters just blew off. I for one miss them. At least they were shown on almost-live TV (which I doubt this event will be, except in Japan.) By and large they were well-contested competitions (as was the World Pro).

Also, this is not another World Championship for individual skaters... this will be a World Team Championship, which I suspect respective federations/associations will covet as much as the skaters covet winning their individual World medals.
I just hope they don't do so much coveting as to take the fun out of the event. I for one would like to see a little less grimness in this sport.

Last edited:
OK, I have one more thing to say about the much-maligned cheesefest. :laugh:

This is to all Scrooges who think cheesefests are a humbug:

"...but I am sure I have always thought of Cheesefests…as providing a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time…a time when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely...And therefore, uncle, though they have never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that they have done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless them!” :biggrin:

Last edited:

Lightspear

Rinkside
OK, I have one more thing to say about the much-maligned cheesefest. :laugh:

This is to all Scrooges who think cheesefests are a humbug:

"...but I am sure I have always thought of Cheesefests…as providing a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time…a time when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely...And therefore, uncle, though they have never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that they have done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless them!” :biggrin:

:rofl: Oh, that's a Gouda one! :rofl:

MM - c'mon, American cheesefests consisted of 3 US ladies and 3 invited ladies of which 1 would show up, so the US Ladies had 2 more to replace the no-shows.

What it did do was to show off Kwans new program and either Sasha's or Irina's, if Irina showed up.

Personally, I didn't see it as a competition but as a glimpse of what to expect in the more major competitions.

At least this Team thing comes after the GPs.

However, I understand the need to see figure skating however, whereever, and whyever for some die hard fans. So be it.

Joe, I don't see why you are so contemptuous of any figure skating show that is not the world championship. My local club show does not feature all the reigning international senior stars, but I still like to go to it.

In their hey day there were three U.S. cheesefests. The first was in October and kicked off the season. Then there was one in December, to whet fans' appitites for Nationals. Then there was one a couple of weeks after worlds to celebrate the season.

I guess you could call them, respectively, the Spirit of Skating Yet to Come, the Spirit of Skating Present and the Spirit of Skating Past. :)

I wish they would come back. (Old Fezziwig alive again! :yes: ) What I mostly wish is that skating could regain the popularity that made such events possible.

Last edited: