The 2008 Surprises in Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The 2008 Surprises in Figure Skating

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think the likelihood of the others making mistakes (getting jumps called as underrotated in particular) is pretty high. On that basis she is a contender for gold, along with a good few other skaters.

Ant

Good point, Ant. I think if the outcomes of every competition were based on correct technique, then Joannie Rochette is definitely a gold medal contender/favorite in every event, including the majors. Where Joannie often has fallen short is in consistency (she's in good company though because all of the other ladies struggle with consistency as well), especially in the SP with the 3+3, and her degree of difficulty, particularly in regards to the jump sequences in the LP, which under this system do not receive as much credit as jump combinations. She does great 3flip+3toes in practice and warm-ups, but unfortunately freezes up in competition. Her greatest strength technically has been that she never gets called for wrong edge entries or under-rotations on the jumps. The same cannot be said for so many of the ladies.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Good point, Ant. I think if the outcomes of every competition were based on correct technique, then Joannie Rochette is definitely a gold medal contender/favorite in every event, including the majors. Where Joannie often has fallen short is in consistency (she's in good company though because all of the other ladies struggle with consistency as well), especially in the SP with the 3+3, and her degree of difficulty, particularly in regards to the jump sequences in the LP, which under this system do not receive as much credit as jump combinations. She does great 3flip+3toes in practice and warm-ups, but unfortunately freezes up in competition. Her greatest strength technically has been that she never gets called for wrong edge entries or under-rotations on the jumps. The same cannot be said for so many of the ladies.

I also don't think Rochette gets enough credit for re-learning her lutz completely and getting rid of her flutz. She's the only skater I can think of that went back to the single and re-learnt it completely from scratch and didn't put it back into her programs until the triple came from a true strong outside edge. Even under pressure she never switches edge. I can't think of a single other skater who has done that.

Ant

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^ By credit, do you mean actual marks from the judges, or from people who talk about Joannie's technique? I don't think it would be feasible for judges to give extra marks for skaters with better basic technique. The CoP just doesn't work that way.

^ By credit, do you mean actual marks from the judges, or from people who talk about Joannie's technique? I don't think it would be feasible for judges to give extra marks for skaters with better basic technique. The CoP just doesn't work that way.
The CoP is only too willing to give credit for a lutz that doesn't take-off on its signature edge. It wont be extra credit, but it will be credit for a jump that isn't a lutz. I think in view of this, the judges should find it feasible to give extra credit for technique for those who do a Lutz according to its definition.

In spite of the attempt to make 3 complete rotations, the CoP will downgrad the value of a jump if it fails to compete that 3 rotations for a triple, and heavy penalty.

Falls are ok with the CoP. The attempt was there so they only get a wrist slap.

And so it goes......

antmanb

Record Breaker

Of course i don't mean marks from the judges!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

I mean generally getting credit from people when we talk about figure skatig technique!

Ant