U.S. ladies -- agree or disagree? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

U.S. ladies -- agree or disagree?

samba

On the Ice
Agree with most of the list,except for Mirai :yes:. She is way too talented to be only "one shot". This is her learning year, she will overcome her growth spurt and hopefully come back strong next season :p.

gold12345

Medalist
Agree with most of the list,except for Mirai :yes:. She is way too talented to be only "one shot". This is her learning year, she will overcome her growth spurt and hopefully come back strong next season :p.

I don't know about Mirai. She has the strange hook on all her jumps, and I don't know how correctable that is. I also wonder if she will ever move away from that "look, I'm cute!" aspect of her skating. But hey, with pretty much all the US ladies having issues, I suppose she has as good of a shot as anyone.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Doesn't this just show us all that instead of looking at barely-started-growing children and proclaiming them the Olympic Champion of 2022 before they're even close to senior level that we should just enjoy their skating for what it is and wait and see how/if it develops rather than dumping a ton of expectation at their door and hyping them up before they've really proved themselves at the senior international level?

Ant

It's very unusual for the American Ladies to be out of the 'pick' for Worlds. I think what the fans are looking for in 2009 are two American gals' placements at Worlds to add up to 13. Not so much for the prestige but for giving yet another skater a chance at the Big One in 2010 Olys, and maybe the 2010 Worlds'

We'll get another look at them in Cleveland, and hopefully come away with a 'sure' placement pick for 2009 Worlds. I can't think of anyone in particular that can rise to that occasion at the moment.

Star85

Rinkside
Doesn't this just show us all that instead of looking at barely-started-growing children and proclaiming them the Olympic Champion of 2022 before they're even close to senior level that we should just enjoy their skating for what it is and wait and see how/if it develops rather than dumping a ton of expectation at their door and hyping them up before they've really proved themselves at the senior international level?

Ant

You are right. I have said before, in my own words, that our young ladies skaters are still in their "potential" stages. The olympics is just rolling around at the wrong time for the US.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I think part of the expectations come from the fact that people are just so used to seeing a US lady on the Olympic podium that they find it hard to imagine otherwise. The only years when a US lady didn't medal were 1936, 1948, and 1964.

samba

On the Ice
It was so weird that we're so "dominated" at JW in the last couple years, swept podium in the last two years :agree:? We're dreaming that nobody could catch up with US. Our US skaters were fighting against each other at JW, no other contest. Now, we're talking about no US lady on the podium at Oly.

Have we done this well at JW in the past? We then had Gold medalists at three consecutive Oly.:clap: Did we swept the podium in the past, during Kristi/Kwan/Huges's era?

Eurofan

On the Ice
It was so weird that we're so "dominated" at JW in the last couple years, swept podium in the last two years :agree:? We're dreaming that nobody could catch up with US. Our US skaters were fighting against each other at JW, no other contest. Now, we're talking about no US lady on the podium at Oly.

Have we done this well at JW in the past? We then had Gold medalists at three consecutive Oly.:clap: Did we swept the podium in the past, during Kristi/Kwan/Huges's era?

If you mean an Olympic sweep, no, not in the Ladies event. The US men did it in '56 (the Jenkins brothers and Ronnie Robertson).

waxel

Final Flight
Interesting that just a year ago there was so much talk about the depth of the American ladies. Here's to hoping potential becomes reality.

flying camel

Medalist
I think most of us are a little nervous about that state of the US ladies. We know where they should be but as some one posted they are behind the top skaters. They need to work extra hard to try and catch up. When the rest of the world is resting we need to be training hard.