Who's Coaching Adam Rippon? | Golden Skate

Who's Coaching Adam Rippon?

libby

Match Penalty
Adam Rippon changed the Profile page on his official site today to say that Nikolai Morozov is now his former coach. He has not listed who is coaching him now, or even if he has a new coach yet - it just says "TBA" under "Coach" and "Training Town".

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/07-profile.html

So who do people think he has gone (or should go) to? It is unusual for a skater to change coaches right in the middle of the season, but others have done it. Who could do Adam the most good?

momjudi

On the Ice
I know some have speculated that Adam will wind up with Brian Orser because Adam went to Canada recently to work with David Wilson who works closely with Brian. I wonder if Adam will go to Galina and Viktor as they are in New Jersey so Adam would not have to relocate. Adam has already worked with a Russian coach and said he was pleased with the Russian way of training. Another possibility is that he will wind up witih Priscilla Hill who trains in Delaware.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that is surprising... though I can't say that I feel sorry for Morosov... seems he has trouble keeping his star skaters for long.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Sounds nice. It looks too crowded at Morozov's. For ex, he did not watch Fumie skate her FS while attending Miki.

Last edited:

Okami

On the Ice
that is surprising... though I can't say that I feel sorry for Morosov... seems he has trouble keeping his star skaters for long.

:scratch: Actually,ost of his skaters have stayed with him for quite a long time. Daisuke was about the only one who decided to switch sort of suddenly (and they were together for about 3 years, which I consider a pretty long time).

I'm not really surprised that Adam decided to look for a new coach. The Morozov Team became really huge, and most of his skaters are representing Japan. Because of that, he often travels to Japan and stays there with the Japanese skaters to help them prepare for the competitions. I know that Nikolai didn't want Adam's training to suffer, so he took him to Japan, too. But those trips were probably getting pretty expensive. I wondered if USFSA refunded them, or if Adam had to pay for the tickets/hotels/meals from his own pocket.

Not to mention the mechanics of attending so many skaters probably have became pretty tricky.

I really enjoy Adam's skating and I hope he finds a good coach. It would be nice if he could work with Galina and Viktor, as he would not have to relocate... However, I hope that if he indeed does switch, they would not dilute his programs much.

Speaking of Morozov, the Japanese Team spoke about him during the World Team nomination ceremony. Batsuchan kindly translated the entire thing here:
http://maoasada.logu2.com/competiti...nese-national-championships-2008-t270-120.htm
(Look for a really long post :) )
Oda: From April this year he's been my regular coach, and I [usually] feel weak-hearted at competitions, but Nikolai will passionately push me, so I'm able to skate strongly.

Suguri: At practice, he's always there with me, and he's pulled me up from my condition last season. I think it's thanks to his strength that I was able to get here. If I were to say what was the best thing...it was difficult for me, but [??? the fact that he wouldn't let me talk was good and bad??? - not sure how to translate] (Laughs).

Ando: This is our third year, and finally we've been able to make our feelings and thoughts about competitions the same and develop a relationship of mutual trust. In the end, he'd say "If you do each element one at a time, you'll be fine" and push me to feel strong. But, in my case, Morozov is not my only coach. If we talk about the
amount of times we've skated together, Morozov is my main coach, but Monna-sensei is teaching me to jump. This time, my triple-triple was downgraded, but the one who put it in my program is Monna-sensei. If Monna-sensei was not here, even if I had Morozov's strength, I don't think I would have been able to get there, so I'm grateful to both of my teachers.

Cathy Reed: He pulls out the best from skaters. He understands the skaters' minds and bodies, so we can practice well.

Chris Reed: He's the best coach, who can make you feel comfortable on ice no matter what.

Miki also spoke about Nikolai in the preview to Nationals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpQErlGD90

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
It is a shame that Adam is leaving Nikolai. As his pupils said, he really brings the best out in skaters. But I can understand that there are too many people coached by Nikolai.

It would have been great if Adam would keep Nikolai as his choreographer, but if he doesn't, I'd really like to see him work with Priscilla Hill

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't blame Adam. When was the last time Morozov was in New Jersey? He is never there, always travelling with his students almost every week since the season started. I would be worreid too if my coach wasn't there to coach me before the nationals.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It would have been great if Adam would keep Nikolai as his choreographer, but if he doesn't, I'd really like to see him work with Priscilla Hill

I think that Nikolai as a choreographer would be a great idea, as he has worked with Adam and knows what suits him.

efreedman

On the Ice
I know some have speculated that Adam will wind up with Brian Orser because Adam went to Canada recently to work with David Wilson who works closely with Brian. I wonder if Adam will go to Galina and Viktor as they are in New Jersey so Adam would not have to relocate. Adam has already worked with a Russian coach and said he was pleased with the Russian way of training. Another possibility is that he will wind up witih Priscilla Hill who trains in Delaware.

Based on some comments by Adam during interviews after COR, some concerns expressed by some after the unveiling of his new SP and LP in Hackensack in August etc., I am not surprised by these changes. I am inclined to agree with you that he will be relocating to Wayne, NJ. In fact, when I was at the Ice House at their holiday show, I half-expected Adam to pop up there. However, doing so would have been showing his cards prematurely.

Behind those "adorable curls" is a very strong will and desire to succeed despite all obstacles. Adam made the statement at SA that he was Morozov's only American and my sense was he was feeling isolated.

gold12345

Medalist
I can recall reading Adam's journals and feeling dizzy over his travel schedule! Morosov had him flying to all different countries to keep up with his training. It seems that he very rarely got to train at home in NJ for any extended period of time, and that alone would be frustrating to me. It's very nice to train with an elite group of skaters, but when they represent different countries and have completely different schedules, it must get stressful. Adam seems like a nice kid, and I hope he can find a training situation he's more happy with.

From what I am reading, and not necessarily my opinion, is that Morozov expects his non Japanese skaters to follow him wherever he goes. I am sure he is well paid for his coaching, and the Japan Federation most likely pays him quite a bit for their selected skaters.

I have no idea what he charges Rippon, and I think Rippon only gets what is in those envelopes from the USFS. It just may be that Adam can not afford Morozov with all those travels and fees. btw: who coaches in Wayne?

Is this just before the Nats for Rippon? Whoa! Will he still be competitive?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The answer to this thread's title is Brian Orser, and Rippon's new choreographer is David Wilson; I think Adam has a great team behind him! :rock:: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1722

This quote is cute:

Judging by the applause and the screams from the young girls in attendance, Rippon, who moved to Toronto full-time on Dec. 28, already has a fan club at his new training home.

Canadian fans are very passionate about handsome, expressive male skaters, regardless of their nationality! :biggrin:

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
I think it's a wise decision. Morosov did not have time for Adam, and he needs more attention than what he was getting. I also think Orser will get Adam better than Morosov did.

With Wilson as part of his new team, does that mean Adam's programs will be getting reworked a bit before Nationals?

luvsasha

Final Flight
oh wow, YAY!!! i think that Brian and David could do great things for Adam, just like they did for Yu Na

Medusa

Record Breaker
Now I am all excited! It could turn out to be a fantastic choice.

Will he have like new programs at US-Nationals?

MasterB

Final Flight
Brian's main concern for the next 13 months will be to turn Yuna into an Olympic champion. With Oda and Ando I don't know how much attention one coach can give to all of his high level skaters.

Adam is being seeing as a very promising rising star in the U.S. with this being his first senior year he is trying to garner lots of attention leading to next year's Olympics and he needs a coach that will make him a top priority.

libby

Match Penalty
Brian's main concern for the next 13 months will be to turn Yuna into an Olympic champion. With Oda and Ando I don't know how much attention one coach can give to all of his high level skaters.

Adam is being seeing as a very promising rising star in the U.S. with this being his first senior year he is trying to garner lots of attention leading to next year's Olympics and he needs a coach that will make him a top priority.

Master B, I think you are confused. Brian Orser does not coach Oda and Ando - Adam's former coach, Nikolai Morosov, does. Brian does not have nearly as many skaters in his stable as Morozov does, and should have plenty of time to spend coaching Adam.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Besides Yu-Na and now Adam...doesn't orser also coach the pairs team of Kirkland & Radford? I think they're also coached by Ingo Steuer too.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow. 2008 was really the year of the coaching change. I have to say good move. I think this year is kinda scrached off...but I cant wait to see Adam in 2009-10. David Wilson will work his magic...and being around Yu-na has got to be inspiring.