Who's Coaching Adam Rippon? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who's Coaching Adam Rippon?

madibe

On the Ice

With Wilson as part of his new team, does that mean Adam's programs will be getting reworked a bit before Nationals?
According to the article: "Rippon said neither of his programs were ever completely done which left him in an awkward position. Wilson polished the short and changed the long. "David and I reworked the steps and everything in the long, and I am sure it is going to be really good."

MasterB

Final Flight
Master B, I think you are confused. Brian Orser does not coach Oda and Ando - Adam's former coach, Nikolai Morosov, does. Brian does not have nearly as many skaters in his stable as Morozov does, and should have plenty of time to spend coaching Adam.

I am not confuse but, I wrote it wrong. What I meant was that it must be difficult to give so many skaters the feeling that they are number one when you have so many skaters and egos to stroke. I think Takaheshi understood this and that is why he might have left.

Morozov's top skaters right now are Ando and Oda (one man, one woman). Brian's only top skater is Yuna, so Adam might benefit from him if he goes to him. I don't think it would be a good idea for Adam to go to Wayne, NJ as Johny is already number one priority at that rink.

Skaters of this caliber need to be cultivated and made top priority.

efreedman

On the Ice
Morozov's top skaters right now are Ando and Oda (one man, one woman). Brian's only top skater is Yuna, so Adam might benefit from him if he goes to him.

Skaters of this caliber need to be cultivated and made top priority.

BTW, Morozov also has Fumie Suguri who finished ahead of Miki Ando at Japanese Nationals, so there are three Japanese skaters who occupied Morozov's attention ahead of Adam. I guess your email was written in advance of the actual announced move.

From what I've been reading, Brian Orser is on his way to becoming a Master Coach.

Rippon using David may give him the push he needs to become a full fledged Elite Skater. Hopefully, Adam will drop those Morozov's flailing arms. He looked to me like everytime he landed a jump someone pointed a gun at him, and said "Hands Up". :laugh:

Audrey19

On the Ice
Wow, this is great news! Orser definitely is a very good choice and I guess he's the right coach for him, although I really really like his programs for this season by Morozov, I hope they don't change them too much!
Oh, I so hope that he is going to podium at nationals and make it to worlds! He's so adorable:love:

lcd

Match Penalty
The ingredients which go into success are so many, so varied, so unpredictable. Ultimately, it comes down to the skater... alone on the ice. I can only hope (probably unrealistically) that the many people that have influenced Adam to the high level of achievement that he has shown, will continue to be "professional" in their admiration and support for his continued success. I think Brian will be a wonderful mentor and the environment will be very positive for Adam. Here's to hoping for the best ... from 'everyone' involved... past, present, and future.

efreedman

On the Ice
The ingredients which go into success are so many, so varied, so unpredictable. Ultimately, it comes down to the skater... alone on the ice. I can only hope (probably unrealistically) that the many people that have influenced Adam to the high level of achievement that he has shown, will continue to be "professional" in their admiration and support for his continued success. I think Brian will be a wonderful mentor and the environment will be very positive for Adam. Here's to hoping for the best ... from 'everyone' involved... past, present, and future.

To whom are you alluding? If Morozov, regardless of the credit that Adam has attributed to him with respect to his success yesterday and in the past, I believe that his ego knows no bounds. That was corroborated by Morozov's recent interview. I'm waiting for the backlash.:eek:hwell:

I doubt if any American skaters are likely to go near him in the future, if they know what's good for them.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Orser is only working with Fedor occasionally; he is not his main coach. Fedor still lists Richard Callaghan as his coach.

Nope, in a recent interview, Fedor has said that he is not working with Callaghan anymore, he is now working with Orser full time.

So interms of Senior skaters (that we know of) Brian Orser now coaches Fedor Andreev, Yu Na Kim, and now Adam Rippon. Good for him for keep his "camp" small and close by.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
doesn't orser also coach the pairs team of Kirkland & Radford?

Yes.

From what I've been reading, Brian Orser is on his way to becoming a Master Coach.

:biggrin:

Rippon using David may give him the push he needs to become a full fledged Elite Skater. Hopefully, Adam will drop those Morozov's flailing arms. He looked to me like everytime he landed a jump someone pointed a gun at him, and said "Hands Up". :laugh:

:rofl: I'm sure with time Wilson will be able to un-Morosov Adam's overly frantic arms. :p

Nope, in a recent interview, Fedor has said that he is not working with Callaghan anymore, he is now working with Orser full time.

The recent Globe & Mail article only stated that Orser was Andreev's new part-time coach, so it's likely that Callaghan is still his primary one. That being said, I'm not sure how often Fedor actually trains with Callaghan these days because the latter is now based in Florida. Considering his late start, I somehow doubt Fedor travelled all the way to there when he had two competitions in Canada within a month of each other. Buttle mentioned that he worked with Fedor in both Detroit and Ontario, so there wouldn't be much time to book a trip to the sunny state. I can't help but wonder if Fedor's continued association with Callaghan is more of a formality rather than the actual reality. :think:

Anyways, back to the original topic. Based on interviews and tidbits that I've heard from other people, Orser appears to be very attentive to his students (notice how he refuses to break his prior commmitment to his adult skaters). I think Wilson will be a good match for Adam choreography-wise, so I foresee great things to come in Rippon's future. :agree:

Last edited: