Russian Nationals - Article | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals - Article

Thank you, Anna K. and Paula.

So the two top ladies in Russia are twelve years old, and they are scoring 160 points? It looks interesting for the future! :agree:

jyshin

On the Ice
Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin withdrew from the event for medical reasons.
This is what I was referring to... I thought not placing in the Nationals could disqualify the skaters for the Worlds.

skatingbc

Final Flight
This is what I was referring to... I thought not placing in the Nationals could disqualify the skaters for the Worlds.

I think that most World Teams are typically based on Nationals results, but if a skater can't skate at Nationals due to illness, etc. then typically an exception is made. I don't think the skating federation in Russia would hold DomShabs back from Worlds. As far as I know, there are no rules that require an athlete competing at Worlds to have competed in his/her country's National Championships.

jyshin

On the Ice
Thanks for the explanation. I hope the illness is not a serious injury. Whatever it is, I wish for their speedy recovery.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Last year Domnina/Shabalin withdrew from Russian Nats, but took part in Euros and would have gone to Worlds, had Shabalin not re-injured his knee, the same was with Kavaguchi-Smirnov 2 years ago. When you are a leader, you may have some indulgence. Same was in France with Joubert and D/S. I don't know if anything like that may happen in USA with current skaters.

Anna

On the Ice
Russian Figure Skating Federation has no written guidelines as to how European and World Championships teams are made. They are more or less making them as they go. For the past few seasons the general rule has been that the top skaters from Nationals go to the Europeans (unless there was a withdrawal of favorite, in which case they just add them to the roster) and then, judging from the results, the same or different team is named for Worlds. Sometimes it even meant that the Champion was left off the World teams (like Doronina in 2007, after the completely fell apart in SP at Euros and failed to advance to LP in Warsaw), which, IMHO, is completely unfair.

This year they made it even more complicated, because they named Leonova ahead of Petushkova for Euros, citing 'better performances in autumn' as a reason, but they did, for example, stick with Rubleva/Shefer over Gorshkova/Butikov and Bobrova/Soloviev, even though R/S had the lowest scores of three teams at international events. Personally, I agree with both calls (I think Leonova is better skater than Petushkova and indeed skated better in autumn and R/S were undermarked at GP events due to low ISU rating and early starting numbers), but I wish they had a sort of strict guidelines.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
As for the dance teams, they were basically tied after their GP results :

Rubleva/Shefer 159.03 - 156.84
Gorshkova/Butikov 157.83 - 159.51
Bobrova/Soloviev 151.62 - 159.96

So the team that came on top on nationals gets to go, fair enough for me. I'd like to watch their performances to see if indeed R/S were the better team at Nationals though.

As for the ladies Leonova has proved all season to be their strongest eligible skater despite her poor result at Nationals.

One question.. are the top 2 ladies also too young for Jr. Worlds?? I cant remember someone going with only 12 years. Perhaps they could send Petushkova to Jr. Worlds since she is only 16.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
You have to be 13 by July 1st to go to junior worlds; so depending on when the birthdays of the two 12 year olds are, they may be ineligible for junior worlds NEXT year, as well.

Anna

On the Ice
I believe Shelepen (4th place in LP, 6th overall) is age-eligible for Juniors next season, but neither Sotnikova nor Tuktamysheva are. AFAIR (but I could be wrong) Sotnikova was born in July and Tutkamysheva in December.

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm nearly 100% sure that Tuktamysheva's birthday is Dec. 17, 1996. That means she's not age eligible until 2010-2011. I don't know what Sotnikova's birthday is.

Shelepen's 13th birthday was in July, so she'll be eligible for the JGP next season. I just hope she can get some better programs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Worlds is still months away. Domina and Shabalin will get a bye to Worlds. They should skip Euros and 4CC even if they are well enough to go however. Risking anything would be stupid.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Worlds is still months away. Domina and Shabalin will get a bye to Worlds. They should skip Euros and 4CC even if they are well enough to go however. Risking anything would be stupid.

DomShabs can't go to 4CC anyway...I'm pretty sure Europe is excluded.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thank you, Anna K. and Paula.

So the two top ladies in Russia are twelve years old, and they are scoring 160 points? It looks interesting for the future! :agree:

I don't know - history shows that the strong Russian junior ladies usually have problems and never make the transition to seniors. Wasn't there a fairly recent sweep of the podium at Junior worlds by the Russian ladies and no-one frmo the that podium ever did much in seniors.

Ant

oleada

Record Breaker
True - but I think it should be looked on a case by case basis.

I think Tuktamysheva, at least, has very good basics and her jumps are really BIG and normally fully rotated. I hope that these things help her past her growth spurt. She's already shown some nice maturity and musical interpretation.

I am more concerned about Sotnikova - her jumps are not as big or solid although her artistry is :love: However, Vodorezova has already coached a high level ladies skater in Olga Markova.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I don't know - history shows that the strong Russian junior ladies usually have problems and never make the transition to seniors. Wasn't there a fairly recent sweep of the podium at Junior worlds by the Russian ladies and no-one frmo the that podium ever did much in seniors.

Ant

I think the last Russian sweep at JWC was back in '98: Julia Soldatova, Elena Ivanova, Viktoria Volchkova. Kristina Oblasova was the last Russian junior lady to medal, and that was in '01. Of the four, Volchkova had the most success as a senior, despite ongoing problems with injuries and nerves.

lcd

Match Penalty
Any video postings from Russian Nationals? Dominina/Shabalin should have enough time to prepare for Worlds. The wear and tear of a full season is just so... ugh.