What do You Enjoy More - Group Numbers or Solos - In Skating Shows? | Golden Skate

What do You Enjoy More - Group Numbers or Solos - In Skating Shows?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was watching the Lake Placid Stars On Ice Show and noted how many group numbers there were. One does not often see that many on tv. I must admit though I do enjoy the solo skates by all the stars, I do also enjoy the group numbers. Group numbers are not as easy to do as the skaters make them look. It takes good timing and patience to skate in a group. It also requires a lot of practice time.

I can remember being in some group numbers years ago my local skating club's show. They were fun.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As a rule I do not like Group numbers and found the great number of them on the Stars on Ice show boring. I understand they are difficult, but usually don't like the choreography and seem to consist of too many instances of each skater doing random elements at the same time that the others are doing other random elements.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love SOI's group numbers most of the time. I think that's really what set SOI apart because you could really feel the friendship and family feel that the cast (especially Scott) always talked about. It's just *fun*....

I appreciate how difficult it is, and to top it off they have to entertain and draw the audience in and play their characters... Red Hat Trick from the 90s was intense because they were throwing a hat around and yet even when it did drop it still worked... and let's not forget Studz... or Fun & Games (possibly the greatest skating spoof EVER)...

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Of course I love solos, and they're why I go to see ice shows, but group numbers are just fantastic when you're in the audience as they're mostly about skaters having fun amongst themselves and with the audience.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really torn here, because I love seeing the solo performances and the group numbers. I agree with Toni, that the group numbers are something pretty unique to SOI. I :love: to see the skaters have fun and interact with each other. :biggrin:

merrybari

Final Flight
The group numbers are fun to watch because of the interaction between the skating and the intricacy of making it all work. However they're hard for me to watch because I never know which skater to watch - I keep thinking I'll miss something. Kind of like a three ring circus, don't want to miss a thing.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As a rule I do not like Group numbers and found the great number of them on the Stars on Ice show boring. I understand they are difficult, but usually don't like the choreography and seem to consist of too many instances of each skater doing random elements at the same time that the others are doing other random elements.

Understandably the group numbers on SOI are designed for "stars";therefore, they would keep the routines pretty basic. All these skaters are (expcept for the pair and dance couples) used to solo skating and being in the spotlight. Some pro skaters who join other ice shows are only in the chorus line and are trained to skate in straight lines (kind of like a Vegas kickline) and with each other.

It is nice to see the skaters together though.

Star85

Rinkside
I like them both. I'm really glad they do group numbers, cause we don't get to see that as often. They never even televise syncronized skating, and I wish they would. Although syncronized skating teams do much better numbers than pro ice shows do. lol. Sometimes the choreography in group numbers can be boring. But then again, in exhibition shows, I often find the solos boring too. Also, I love seeing the flare, and different tricks and choreography, but I wish the skaters would do more difficult programs, more on the level of competitive programs. Many of the programs difficulty levels are way beneathe the skater's abilities.

And for God's sake, who chooses the music for exhibition programs?! I like some of it, but majority of it is stuff I wouldn't choose. If it's an old song, it should be something most people know, and like. A classic. If it's a new song, it should be something that not only appeals to young people, but to everyone. And if it's a song most people don't know, it should be enjoyable, and relate to the program well. Actually, this should go for ANY skating program, not just exhibitions. IMO. I remeber Dick Button talking about the bad music selections in many programs, and as usual, I agreed with him :)

skamper23

Medalist
I love the group numbers that are unique to SOI...actually I like both solo's and group numbers...lets face it we all have... dare I say ..."Favorite" skaters who's solos we can't wait to see, but the more our favorite skater is out on the ice, doing group numbers, the more we get to see them! You get to see them interact with the other skates and maybe doing things/moves that they don't usually do in their own solos! I try to take in the group numbers as a whole, but eyes will tend to follow certain skaters. That's why I try to see the show more than once, so maybe next time I can see something else I missed the first time! :laugh:

OnTheEdge

Rinkside
Have to say the group numbers are a treat. Yes, seeing them solo is fantastic and the main draw however when they get together it seems more fun and carefree. There appears to be enjoyment for them working together, and let's face it, some of those group numbers are just real crowd pleasers to get everyone involved.

lcd

Match Penalty
Have to say the group numbers are a treat. Yes, seeing them solo is fantastic and the main draw however when they get together it seems more fun and carefree. There appears to be enjoyment for them working together, and let's face it, some of those group numbers are just real crowd pleasers to get everyone involved.

Agree with you. Especially fun to see combinations of skaters that one wouldn't ordinarily think of skating "together"