New Czisny Journal | Golden Skate

New Czisny Journal

merrybari

Final Flight
One busy lady, for sure! I saw her skate at Skate Canada and was glad to see her doing so well. I've always enjoyed her lyrical style and grace on the ice. Sounds like her confidence is up as are her jumps. Am hopeful for the podium for her at Nationals. That would make the ladies competition for me.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Great journal. Thanks for posting. She seems like a very busy and positive young lady. Congrats to her in advance for graduating. She is one of the skaters who went straight through college (i think full-time) while skating, even doing the GP series. She sets a great example.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thank you for the link. Her life always seems so packed it's incredible.
I pray and hope she has great skates!!

champs

Final Flight
Thanks for the heads up, and wow...as I read this entry I was totally confused as to how many places she had found herself in over the whole year, and how she had managed to do all these activities. And interesting stories about her boots. I wish her luck for the upcoming nationals and the Universiade!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a fascinating journal entry! I'm exhausted reading about all the places she's traveled to. May she have lots of success at US Nationals! :biggrin: :clap:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Bowling Green State University I think.

I think it's amazing for an elite skater to attend college full time all while training and competing...good for her! and yes, that does set a great example for people.

I hope she does well at Nationals. Glad that Brian Boitana and Linda leaver are working with her (not everyday, but it's something!) very cool.

Interesting about the hinged boots. if she says that the hinged boots made her ankles very strong and prevented injury, wonder why she switched? the hinged boots weren't very good for her jumps maybe? whatever it was, her jumps have improved since the last 2 seasons.

What I have to say is

:love: :love: :love:

And, may I add,

:love: :love: :love:

I hope other skaters who maintain on-line journals will take note of Alissa's writing talents. People don't go to college for nothing!

Talk about a full schedule, look what she has on her plate for the spring semester.

January 23-29, U.S. Nationals (first)
February 2-8, Four Continents (3rd. Mao Asada and Yuna Kim show up :laugh: )
February 18-28, the Winter Universiade (first)
March 23-29, Worlds (not sure which of the three podium places she will end up in. :biggrin: )

Seriously, it is very interesting to see all the opportunities that are out there to skate in shows, competitions and exhibitions. I wonder how much she gets paid for doing things like the Dallas Christmas Tree Lighting Festival. (Worth the price of admission to see Dan Hollander as Santa Claus shooting sparks out of his skates. :laugh: )

About the hinged boots, it is a dilemma for young skaters. The softer and more flexible the boot, whether by using a hinged design or by just using softer leather, the easier it is on the skaters joints when they land jumps. But a stiffer boot gives more control. So what do you want, to stay on your feet or to be free of career-ending injury?

If you go to web sites where they sell Jackson boots they are advertised as "the same boot that Alissa Czisny won Skate Canada in! :)

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thanks for telling us about the journal entry. She is one great writer. I really appreciated her talking about her boots and the change in her boots and all the things that she is doing!! I really hopes that she updates her journal frequently!!

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Interesting about the hinged boots. if she says that the hinged boots made her ankles very strong and prevented injury, wonder why she switched? the hinged boots weren't very good for her jumps maybe? whatever it was, her jumps have improved since the last 2 seasons.

I went back and reread what she said about her ankles:

"the other change that I made after Nationals was with my skates. I had been in the Jackson hinged boots for a number of years, which helped prevent me from getting the enlarged bursas on my ankles, something that I struggled with for so many years in the past. Jackson worked with me to develop a regular boot, with a few changes to it making the transfer back to the traditional boot a little easier. Since I wasn’t going to Worlds or Four Continents to compete, I had a couple of weeks to readjust to skating in them. After the initial switch, I noticed that the hinged boots had made my ankles very strong and that I no longer needed to lace my boots up as tightly as I used to. I feel very comfortable in the traditional boot now, and I strongly believe that having been in the hinged boot extended my capability to continue skating and competing without injury."

skamper23

Medalist
Wow that's about as long as Johnny Weir's new journal entry! The white letters on the black background were tough on my eyes after a while though! Loved hearing about all her travels! Good to know some airports will let skaters bring their skates as carry-ons!! I can only imagine what a bummer arriving to a skating competition or show only to find out the airlines have lost your skates!!!!

lcd

Match Penalty
Blessed with beauty, talent and most importantly in my mind, a kind heart and intelligence.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's amazing for an elite skater to attend college full time all while training and competing...good for her! and yes, that does set a great example for people.
I didn't know that Alyssa was an elite skater....what constitutes being an elite skater???

Dee

KayMil01

On the Ice
I didn't know that Alyssa was an elite skater....what constitutes being an elite skater???

Dee

To me, an elite skater is someone who is able to compete internationally, ya know, like getting Grand Prix assignments. A skater has to be considered 'good enough' to meet the qualifications to even be considered for GP assignments right?
What is an "elite" skater to you? A skater that only wins Gold medals at a GP's/Nationals/4CC/Euros/Worlds etc. ???

^ Alissa has won three Grand Prix medals, including a gold at Skate Canada, and she went to the GP finals in 2005. That's pretty elite -- only 6 ladies in the world make it.

She took bronze at the 2007 U.S. championships (she won the free skate) and represented the U.S. at worlds. She also won several other international championships and two U.S. collegiate titles. She is ranked 21st in the ISU world rankings and #18 on the personal best list.

True, she doesn't have a World Championship (yet!!!!!!!), but the same can be said for Sasha Cohen and Janet Lynn. All in all, her record seems pretty "elite" to me.

Anyway, it's cool that she is getting so many opprtunities to perform around the country. Maybe being friends with Brian Boitano helps. I wonder if other skaters with comparable records have so many gigs -- Ashley, Carolyn Z, Mirai, Rachael, Bebe, etc. -- even Kimmie.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Being on Brian's "nice list" definitely helps. Ryan Bradley was interviewed at a recent show. When an interviewer asked him how he got the gig, he said Brian had recommended him to the show.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Im glad Alissa is happy and I wish her the best of luck at Nationals and all she does:rock:

I hope Brian and Linda coach keep working with her. I think its really helping her out:yes:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just realized that new Photos are up in the gallery, casual photos from 2008.

I've also been looking for those photoshoot pics she mentioned with no luck.

I've also been looking for those photoshoot pics she mentioned with no luck.
If you mean the photo shoot for Mondor, this is a company that makes skating dresses, so the pictures are probably for print ads within the industry.

What I would like to see are the photoshoots for NASCAR at the Michigan Speedway and for the Red Bull Air Race! :rock: