BOI poll: favorite men | Golden Skate

BOI poll: favorite men

Here are the results of the recent Internet poll conducted by Blades on Ice magazine, for favorite men. Any comments?

1. Alexei Yagudin (no surprise)
2. Kurt browning (yay for the new dad)
3. Todd Eldredge
4. Timothey Goebel
5. Brian Boitano
6. Alexander Abt (ahead of Plushenko!)
7. Scott Hamilton (tie)
7. Evgeny Plushenko (tie)
8. Ilia Kulik
9. Kevin van der Perren (go Kevin)
10. Elvis Stojko (he's actually 11th, because of the tie, but who's counting?)

Mathman (#12)

Last edited:
Same question I had for the Ladies.

Interesting that Kurt is still so popular. He's been around for some time and one of those great skaters who never got an Oly gold.

Interesting that Tim is up there and ahead of so many!!

Interesting Kevin van der Perren is on the list since I believe there are no other 2nd tier skaters on the list. He must be very popular in Europe because if you don't go to live competitions, you don't see him.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
A little surprised that Scott is number 7. It seems from this list that there must be somewhat of a younger group voting. Abt?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Tim GOebel won a bronze medal at Olympics, big accomplishment for him, and had the skate of his life in last Worlds to the point many thought he should have won. He's very popular right now, especially among American fans.

It's not that surprising to see him there, although I'm not sure what his result would be if the poll was conducted 10 years from now on, for example. After turning pro (or even before that, if he doesn't manage to keep winning medals) I'm sure the result would be very different, but that's just me :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No big surprise for me about Alexei being #1, he is always #1 with me. I am surprised that Evgeni is #7.

Dee

curious

Final Flight
Those polls are only good for a laugh. Evgeny in seven place is probably the biggest joke in that list :D

Germanice

On the Ice
curious said:
Those polls are only good for a laugh. Evgeny in seven place is probably the biggest joke in that list :D
Come on, he totally deserved his place in the Top Ten, after all he's the recent World Champion! :D

Anke ;)

Last edited:

dfj

On the Ice
Germanice said:
Come one, he totally deserved his place in the Top Ten, after all he's the recent World Champion! :D

Anke ;)

Maybe Curious meant that Evgeny should have been rated higher?!

Kulik holding strong at #8. Guess my 978,989 votes helped. J/K. They only let you vote once per ISP code. Good thing I can get around to so many apartments in NY so easily. And to think, all those New Yorkers bought my line about Girl Scout cookies via the Internet, if they would just let me use their computer for a moment.

Just joking, Jaana. Ilia actually got all his votes without me and deserved every one. I didn't even know BOI was doing the poll, otherwise you know he would have been first, lol.
Rgirl

Linny

Final Flight
Favorite men

My brain is fuzzy right now, but I'm putting in a vote for favorite men's costume - the moon and stars number on the French skater. Something about the moon just did it for me...
Linny

anya_angie

Final Flight
Abt has a quality in his skating most elegible men could only wish they had. He made up his own spin, his footwork is just as cutting-edge as Plushenko's (have you seen his Russian Sailor footwork?), and a wonderful personality, considering he lost silver at 02 Worlds by one judge, and he feels he should have gotten it but he doesn't care haha. I'm proud of his attitude. Wish other skaters felt the same way. But I suppose age +injuries + experience = maturity and modesty.

Yes, Zhenya should be higher than 7... Though with all those I'm not sure where I would have put him... I'd probably have him either 2 or three, or switch places with Tim and replace Tim with Klimkin if it were me. Klimkin has difficult moves as well as interesting artistry. He goes from that camel spin in both directions right into a triple jump (is it a Salchow?). Name one other man who has done THAT. He has the same quality in his skating as Abt. He has a marvelous future, I hope the grief isn't too much for him. It is understandable that it may take some time for him though.

I'm disappointed there are no Asian skaters on the list! Li and Honda have a world of potential!

Last edited:
Anya - Have you noticed that there is never a bash of Sasha Abt or Angela Nikidinov on Golden Skate. If we had a poll between us for the most beloved skaters on GS, it would be them.

Joe

anya_angie

Final Flight
Yeah I noticed, I think it's wonderful that both of these skaters get so much respect here.