Belbin and Agosto withdraw from US Nationals | Golden Skate

Belbin and Agosto withdraw from US Nationals

momjudi

On the Ice
Ben and Tanith withdrew from US Nationals today due to the injury Ben sufferd to his back at the Grand Prix Final. The announcement is on icenetwork.com

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Nooooo!!!!! :( well, this is bad news. Poor Ben :no::cry:...I wonder if they'll be able to skate at Worlds.

momjudi

On the Ice
They hope to compete at worlds and have asked US figure skating to consider giving them a bye to Worlds.

Wrlmy

Medalist
They should. Aside from D/W, which team has even remote chance to place top 5?

momjudi

On the Ice
But will they get it?

I think as long as Ben is healthy and they have enough time to train, they will get it. The main issue will be Ben's health, the federation rushed Michelle Kwan back onto the ice for Torino and she wound up reinjuring herself on the first practice. I don't think they want to make the same mistake.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I doubt 2 USA teams would have placed top 5 even with B/A. Samuelson/Bates will have a chance for top 10. D/W and S/B should be able to keep 3 spots.

waxel

Final Flight
I think there's little doubt that they will get a bye. D/W and B/A together are the only shot the US has to get 3 spots to Olys. The question is if Ben will be ready to compete.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Very sad news.

I think they'll get a spot if Ben's well. May be they'll have to go to 4CC first or something.

libby

Match Penalty
B/A do seem to be losing favor with the international judges while D/W and S/B are gaining favor. It wouldn't surprise me if Tanith and Ben weren't the highest-finishing US team at Worlds.

lcd

Match Penalty
So disappointing for them. I'm sure they had high hopes of being able to show their 'stuff' at 'home' in the US.

So many injuries this season, no?

That said - "chaos" brings opportunities. Obviously, real chance for Davis/White to show how they can compete as now, the de facto favorites. Will shift the focus of attention as well, somewhat, to the incredibly dense "pack" that follows them. Broadens the 'chance' for a team to be "on the podium" with all the perceived benefits that that can bring... to confidence, visibility, etc.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, this just really makes me sad. I always enjoy watching Tanith and Ben and admire their dedication so much. I hope Ben recovers fully and quickly and that this injury doesn't become chronic or something that will flare up to bother him from time to time. Get well soon, Ben!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:eek: Oh no! This will be weird to not see them there.

Get better soon, Ben!!!

and they've gone so long without a major injury I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later... better this season than next!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, Tanith and Ben already have 5 US Nat titles -- and no US team has ever won 6 Nat titles. Is there some kind of jinx at work here?

merrybari

Final Flight
I'm so sorry to hear this. Best wishes to Ben for a full and speedy recovery. I'm glad he's taking the time to heal completely. Rushing back would not be good for long term health.

It will be very strange for them not to be at Nationals. I'm quite sure they will get the bye. They sure have earned it, imo.

LaLola

On the Ice
Noooo...:(
I was so afraid that this would happen! But I have so much trust in them, they will recover and show to the whole world what they can achieve! It's not over yet...

lmarie086

Medalist
It will be very strange for them not to be at Nationals. I'm quite sure they will get the bye. They sure have earned it, imo.

ITA. I'd be astounded if they didn't get the bye. Looking at what they've accomplished this season results-wise (even if they didn't win a GP), they won two silvers and qualified for the GPF with the highest points total. If they are capable of skating at the level (or close to) we've come to expect from them, I am fairly confident they'll be in Los Angeles.

Isn't Ben's back a bit of an ongoing problem? I remember B/A having to withdraw from GPF in what, 2006 because he had an issue with his back (or some kind of injury).