Caroline Zhang on the cover of SKATING magazine | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang on the cover of SKATING magazine

feraina

Record Breaker
Here's the link:
http://usfsa.org/Magazine.asp?Issue=42401

She looks younger than 15 there. Some on FSU are saying it looks like it's from Champs Camp, which would make sense given the attire (even LA isn't this warm right now) and also I remember there was a big photo shoot of all the skaters at the Camp.

Caroline has more recent photos that show her a lot more grown-up. But she does like to climb and hang from things, and I think she might carry on with that "hobby" for a while... :)

I wish I still had a subscription to the SKATING magazine. I'm really curious what the article's about!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Here is their first paragraph ........

When the skating world was formally introduced to Caroline Zhang, back at the 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Spokane, Wash., she was a giddy teen who was just excited to get close enough to Kimmie Meissner and have the U.S. champion give her an autograph.

That's not exactly true. The skating world was formally introduced to Caroline Zhang in September of 2006 when she tore up the Junior Grand Prix. :biggrin:

Onlyhope

Rinkside
Caroline's gala show program you raise me up and born to try so lovely.
She is so cute ;)

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline's gala show program you raise me up and born to try so lovely.

Have you seen her latest exhibition "Lullaby for a Stormy Night"? I can't decide if I like this one better or "You Raise Me Up" better. If you can't find it and want to see it, PM me.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Caroline is such an amazing exhibition skater. It is a testament to her artistic maturity and sophistication. Considering she used to pack her exhibition programs with difficult trasitions and bunch of triples, I have hard time understanding why her current competitive programs do not measure up. Lori seems to pigeonhole skaters and choreagraph similar programs for each skater over extended period. Lyrical programs for Mao, cutesy programs for Mirai, and soft princessy programs for Caroline, etc. I hope Caroline goes back to Tom Dickson. He will surely add much needed flair.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The posters are being very tough on Caroline over at FSU. Some of them think she doesn't deserve to be on the cover at all. :sheesh:

gocaroline

On the Ice
:scratch:
The posters are being very tough on Caroline over at FSU. Some of them think she doesn't deserve to be on the cover at all. :sheesh:
:disagree:

Why? Caroline has every reason to grace the cover, I am definitely keeping this one because of her photo on the cover:love:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She looks so cute in the cover!

I agree that she is amazing exhibition skater. I think that "Lullaby" is the best yet, followed very closely by "You raise me up." She will have a great pro career if that is what she wants in the future.

feraina

Record Breaker
Lyrical programs for Mao, cutesy programs for Mirai, and soft princessy programs for Caroline, etc.

Actually, I feel like both of Carolina's programs this year have great potential. They are wonderful pieces of music, well re-arranged, beautifully choreographed, and have the potential bring out a more mature, passionate side to her skating. I really like the SP step sequence (the FS step sequence isn't badly choreographed, but she seems to lose stamina/fire by the end of it).

Mirai, on the other hand, I would think that she would skate "cutesy" to whichever choreographer's program handed to her. She is really so naturally abundant in "cutesiness", and which she clearly hasn't grown out of, and not likely to do so any time soon yet. I think we'll be seeing cutesy programs from her for some time yet.

feraina

Record Breaker
Why? Caroline has every reason to grace the cover, I am definitely keeping this one because of her photo on the cover:love:[/QUOTES]

Some people are so mean, what can you do? I even saw one poster write that she doesn't care who wins, but if Caroline does, she will never watch skating again. That's extreme, isn't it?!

Andalusia

Final Flight
Why? Caroline has every reason to grace the cover, I am definitely keeping this one because of her photo on the cover:love:[/QUOTES]

Some people are so mean, what can you do? I even saw one poster write that she doesn't care who wins, but if Caroline does, she will never watch skating again. That's extreme, isn't it?!

Ooh, is it that cretin who said she roots for Caroline and Mirai to flop and is thrilled when they do so? I think that sicko also posts over here. Talk about demented.

And back to the topic at hand - many of us would be so, so grateful if someone could get their hands on a copy of this issue and post a transcript of the sections relevant to Caroline! Pretty please? :love:

luvsasha

Final Flight
I just got my copy today, and i suppose I could type up what it says for you, but is that copywriting?

I think Caroline looks great on the cover :biggrin:

herios

Medalist
Caroline is such an amazing exhibition skater. It is a testament to her artistic maturity and sophistication. Considering she used to pack her exhibition programs with difficult trasitions and bunch of triples, I have hard time understanding why her current competitive programs do not measure up. Lori seems to pigeonhole skaters and choreagraph similar programs for each skater over extended period. Lyrical programs for Mao, .

I think you should reactualize your vision. Mao departed from her lyrical style this year the other way to the dramatic. huge transformation in her attitude, approach. style, Tarasova took her to a new artistic level imo. And this is not just her Lp, her new exhibition program is also in the same genra, a dancy tango to "scent of a woman".

But your idea regrading Caroline programs is valid, she should show more diversity indeed.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I think you should reactualize your vision. Mao departed from her lyrical style this year the other way to the dramatic. huge transformation in her attitude, approach. style, Tarasova took her to a new artistic level imo. And this is not just her Lp, her new exhibition program is also in the same genra, a dancy tango to "scent of a woman".

But your idea regrading Caroline programs is valid, she should show more diversity indeed.

Oh I know that. And it's Tarasova's work. Clair de lune, choreographed by Lori, however didn't depart from lyrical style. My post was about Lori's 'mannerism' more so than skaters.

herios

Medalist
Oh I know that. And it's Tarasova's work. Clair de lune, choreographed by Lori, however didn't depart from lyrical style. My post was about Lori's 'mannerism' more so than skaters.

Correct. That gives her a much more needed variety, one lyrical and one dramatic program. Believe me, the judges love to see that, it could just lift those PCS scores with 0.25 here, there. I know;) I would give that bonus out, if i would be a judge:)

Wrlmy

Medalist
Correct. That gives her a much more needed variety, one lyrical and one dramatic program. Believe me, the judges love to see that, it could just lift those PCS scores with 0.25 here, there. I know;) I would give that bonus out, if i would be a judge:)

Believe or not, I like Lori's programs for Mao. IMO she is one of few skaters who really work Lori's choreagraphy, the others being Michelle, Carolina, and Fumie (except for Rachmaninov catastrophe). I just included her to support my point. shrug.

Andalusia

Final Flight
I just got my copy today, and i suppose I could type up what it says for you, but is that copywriting?

I think Caroline looks great on the cover :biggrin:

I'm not in charge, but I suppose it should be alright? Perhaps you could post a link off-site?

Please, please, luvsasha. A lot of us would be most appreciative. :)

^ You can't copy out the whole article and post it. But you can give a summary with a few brief quotes (this falls under the "fair use" provision of copyright laws.)