20 years ago this month... | Golden Skate

20 years ago this month...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Twenty years ago this month my family and I attended my first ice show. It was Walt Disney on Ice (no idea of the title of the show, I don't even know if they had different tours going on at the same time back then), and I was turning four. My great aunt (we called her Auntie Marge) bought tickets for "the baby" to see an ice show, she secretly wanted to go see the guest star and was using me as an excuse to go see him.

I don't remember much about the show. I remember bouncing from seat to seat because I was bored. I remember not being impressed with the people in Disney character costumes spinning around. I remember that up to a point the most exciting part of the show was the Mickey Mouse flashlight we were given upon entrance. It was blue, Mickey's face was on top, the light was inside and spun, the light was also blue. I even remember the white on off button. I'm pretty sure to get the light to spin you had to do it yourself with a little wrist action.

I remember hearing the voice introducing some person by telling everyone that the lights were going out and we needed to turn on our flashlights so our next guest could see. Ok! I'm all about turning on and playing with my flashlight. And then the spotlight turned on and there was a guy sitting on a chair next to a small table with an old wooden radio playing some song.

It was Scott Hamilton and he was getting ready to skate his Georgia On My Mind program. I was mesmorised. There is only one skate that I remember that night, and I don't remember all of it. I wasn't even four yet! I remember him talking to a radio he'd turned off and the radio continued to talk back - which was super cool! - and I remember his backflip... and that's it. My dad tells a couple of humorous stories of me talking back to Scott during another sketch, I don't remember it at all. :laugh:

I was hooked to the sport, through Scott, from that moment on. My aunt was excited because she figured I'd become a world class figure skater. One fall on my butt and I was done. I didn't want to try. I wouldn't put skates on for another 10 or so years... and I didn't fall, but I don't have the balance or paitence to do it, so I'm content to watch and daydream of what it must feel like.

My great aunt and I were best buds when I was little. We did everything together and we'd curl up and watch figure skating. Mainly we cheered for the US team... but those are memories I cherish.

She passed away in 1995, and I dropped the sport for a bit. Still watched all of the pro stuff, but not the competitions. Scott was in most of the shows and it was an easy way for me to still connect with those memories and remember my aunt. My parents would watch with me, but it wasn't the same.

Fastforward to 1999 and Scott Hamilton returned to Alaska and I begged, pleaded, threatened, and annoyed my parents until they said we could go and see the show. I got to see a show that was pure skating, no characters, no stupid sketches... also no flashlight (bummer!). It was a mini SOI in a way as it was the IMG cast. It was fantastic.

It not only renewed my obsession, but my dad's as well. I couldn't get enough of the sport... and that's how I stumbled on the world of message boards. Dad and I couldn't miss a minute of it on TV... and a few years later I got to go to my first US Nationals (2005)... and now I'm completely obsessed in ways I don't even think my aunt would have imagined.

I've met some fantastic friends through this. Some I consider my best/closest of friends. And I can't wait to see what the next 20 years bring! :rock:

What a great post to kick off 2009! I hope you count me among the friends that figure skating has brought into your life. :love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Me too.

May your future hold many more Nationals, Disney trips and figure skating performances.

skamper23

Medalist
Wow Toni that's a great story!!! I knew Scott skated w/ Ice Capades, but I guess I didn't know that he did Disney on Ice too!! I'm like you, I don't skate at all but I love watching!! Funny how we get hooked!! You might find this interesting: I just finished reading Scott's new book and he mentions doing a small tour of Alaska instead of the World Pros..here's what he says...."Not being signed up to do the World Pros was a turning point. I was not happy about it. No one at IMG ever consulted with me about this decision. But instead of telling them how upset I was,I smiled on the outside while I stewed angrily inside. Rather than doing the World Pros that year,which I loved to do and felt was really important for my career,I did a small tour of Alaska. I performed in three cities in Alaska-skating for enthusiastic crowds whom I really appreciated, but never the less in relative obscurity."
Although he doesn't say Disney...I wonder if this was indeed the time you saw him!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He's only been up here twice AFAIK... once in 89 and once in 99 as a skater... he also took a vacation with his dad up here... so it very well could be! how cool!

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I have a similar memory with Disney on Ice as you! Thank you for this great post...it really brought back some very good memories! Haha, I still think I have the Disney on Ice pennant that was bought for me somewhere in my closet. As like you, I was barely to young to remember anything, but I went with my grandfather and he was a big fan on figure skating. My main memory is wondering how they could skate in those huge, bulky costumes. I'll have to look it up a little and see if there were any skaters like Scott Hamilton there-sadly, I don't remember. Hope 2009 is a wonderful year for everyone! :yes: