MK interviewed on Lakers - says she's training | Golden Skate

MK interviewed on Lakers - says she's training

Kathy

On the Ice
Michelle was interviewed at the Laker's today. She confirmed that she just graduated from UD and moved back to LA. Regarding the Olympics she said she is training and trying to get back in Olympic shape!!!!!

The sportscaster approached her and asked her a few questions. She said she just finished school in December and moved back to LA. Then he asked everyone wants to know about the Olympics in 2010. She said she has been training on and off ice, "trying to get back in Olympic shape, so, we'll see."

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:rock::love: Let the games begin!!:bow::clap: If only we could see her programs from the previous Olympics the way they were supposed to be:agree:

Wow Nationals would be exciting with both Michelle & Sasha returning. Could you imagine the drama?;)

Even if she doesnt return to compete I wish her the best of luck with everything and hope she continues to be happy and healthy:yes:

tarotx

On the Ice
I really hope Michelle and Sasha return. I so miss them in competiton skating. My sister just said she fears that Michelle is just getting into skating shape so she can retire at the US nationals exhibition. She thinks Sasha will just stick to SOI. I hate downers :( I will still be in massive hope mode :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
So she was at a Lakers game and was asked this? I don't understand. Or was she just training at their facility?

According to the thread on the MK forum, she was at the Laker's game, sitting in the courtside section reserved for celebrities (one poster said she was sitting next to Jack Nicholson). The ESPN sideline guy asked her a few questions, like they ofetn do when famous people come to the games.

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh, I didn't even know a section was reserved for celebs. Is that fair?

Anyway, there has to be a video somewhere. Gotta see it for myself.

ks777

Record Breaker
even if she doesn't come back to the compeititon, maybe she can do SOI? that would be nice instead of the same cast over and over..

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I wonder if her decision will effect sasha's one way or the other. They were rivals...not many people think of it that way.

I hope they both come back in 2010. That would be unbelivable!:love::love::love::clap::clap:

lmarie086

Medalist
Michelle really does seem to love competition, she must miss it a bit. I personally just want to see her skate again; it doesn't matter if it's in competition or on a tour. But I only want her to come back to competition if her body can handle it, and if she can be competitive with the others. Same for Sasha.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Very interesting. But I'll believe it when I see it. Of course, I hope I see it as I miss MK and SC and would love to see them back. I think MK would love to get that 10th US Nats Gold. Would this all ever mix things up for the US ladies.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I hope that she doesn't come back. I'm not saying this as a Kwan-hater, because I've always liked Kwan and was just as disappointed as any of her fans by Nagano, SLC, and Torino. I just don't think that she has a realistic chance of winning this time, and I don't want to feel disappointed for her in Vancouver as well. I'd rather feel sorry that Flatt or Nagasu or Tammy Twizzle didn't win, and then console myself with "At least she can try again in 2014."

^ Maybe Michelle will skip 2010 and come back in 2014 as the Skating Senator from California. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't believe this word-of-mouth report. Show me a video of her interview, then I'll believe it. As for Michelle returning to competitive skating, I say this as a huge Kwan fan that I don't want her to return due to the fact that I don't believe ANYONE has ever had a successful comeback from hip surgery. Her health is far more important to me than seeing her skate again at 2010 Nationals. I seriously wouldn't want to endure the heartbreak if she were to get hurt again. I agree with the last poster who said that the last 3 Olympics have been difficult enough to live through. Besides, I don't think any skater can transform himself/herself into an Olympic medal contender in 1 season after a 4 season layoff. Now if Michelle was speaking about getting into shape again in order to do some show skating or perhaps a special exhibition at 2010 Nationals, then I'm all for that! I just want Michelle to be happy!

Mafke

Medalist
I'd just assume she didn't return to eligible competition (and she's an all time fave but her skill set doesn't mix well with CoP and never will).

To tell the truth I'm more interested in her public service career at this point.

Andalusia

Final Flight
I don't believe this word-of-mouth report. Show me a video of her interview, then I'll believe it.

A clip has been posted on the MKF complete with caps and a transcript. This interview did indeed happen.

I never thought I'd say this about Michelle, but perhaps she'll return just for the sake of it? I know the spiel about how she lives to compete and win, but she's a little older now and going through university might have changed her perspective a little bit. She might see this as her last opportunity to make an Olympics, so why pass it up? She might not be able to beat Yu-Na and Mao, but she can easily surpass the current crop of U.S. ladies with the way they've been performing recently, that is if she's healthy and trained enough.

So, while she might not have a realistic chance of actually winning the Olympics, she might return just to test the limits of what she can do. No added pressure or expectations (at least, not any placed on her by herself) - ala Katarina Witt at her last Olympics. No matter how she fares, I don't think MK will do so ignobly that her sterling reputation will be permanently tarnished.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Yeah, I just passed through MKF and saw the screen-caps and clip posted and while many of the posts from her fans are heartwarming and I want to have all the faith in the world too, I think many of her fans are getting their hopes up too high too soon. Her exact sentiment is that she is "trying" to get back into Olympic shape. She has not given a definitive "yes." My advice to her would be to put her health first. I love MK, but I personally don't see why she would try for another Olympics if gold was not a definite possibility. She already has a silver and a bronze. Following in Elaine Zayak's footsteps (skating at Nationals at the age of 29) would be exciting to see, but I hope her only skate at Nationals is an exhibition. Maybe she would have the mindset going in like Elaine did that this is just a participatory competition?, but then again that doesn't sound like Michelle. She always competed to win!

but she can easily surpass the current crop of U.S. ladies with the way they've been performing recently, that is if she's healthy and trained enough.

Sorry, but I find this statement to be ridiculous given that no one has seen MK perform a triple jump of any kind since fall 2005 at the Skating Idol cheese-fest over 3 years ago and no one has seen her skate a COP friendly program either.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I listened to the audio interview and she did in fact say she was trying to get back into Olympic shape but to me her tone sounded more tongue and cheek than serious .I think she is getting in shape to perform and not to compete. If she proves me wrong I won't be complaining, being the Kwan fan that I am.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Sorry, but I find this statement to be ridiculous given that no one has seen MK perform a triple jump of any kind since fall 2005 at the Skating Idol cheese-fest over 3 years ago and no one has seen her skate a COP friendly program either.

That's why I said "if she's healthy and trained enough." It's all a big IF at this point. I'm just speculating, as is everyone else. Reliable posters on the MKF have reported that she is training jumps, and hasn't completely left them by the wayside. Obviously, if she feels she's healthy and trained enough, she won't be prancing out onto the ice jumping doubles in the hopes of making the Olympic team. Sheesh.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'd just assume she didn't return to eligible competition (and she's an all time fave but her skill set doesn't mix well with CoP and never will).

To tell the truth I'm more interested in her public service career at this point.

Well first international comp under COP she did just miss out on a bronze medal (at world's) due to a weak first round skate so... Now perhaps on the international scene, a medal would be a stretch but at Nat's.....