Comfort Food - What's Your Favorite | Golden Skate

Comfort Food - What's Your Favorite

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Here is an interesting article on comfort food and how it helps destress us. I like things like pop corn, potato chips, ice cream (sometimes) usually frozen yogurt, hot chocolate. I am not one for chocolate bars or "candy bars."

How Comfort Food Stops Stress Cold

When you're stressed, what do you do to assuage it?
a. Take a hot bubble bath
b. Eat a big bowl of ice cream
c. Take a long walk

If you chose "b," there's a good reason. It works. When we eat high-fat, high-carbohydrate comfort foods, it really does stop what can be an out-of-control hormonal cascade caused by stress, USA Today reports of new research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

There's just one little problem: Do this too often and you'll get fat.

This is how it works, according to USA Today. When you experience short-term stress, it ignites your body's "fight or flight" reaction. That boosts your adrenalin, speeds up your heart, and opens up your lungs. Your immune system is primed. When the danger has passed, your body secretes steroid hormones that bring your immune system back to normal, while other steroids are secreted to stop the hormones that kicked into gear during the stressful period. All this is normal. What's not normal is when those steroid levels become elevated during chronic, ongoing stress and don't switch off. In fact, they increase. The result? Your immune system is overloaded and that makes you more vulnerable to infections, anxiety, depression, obesity, and coronary disease.

Eating, especially indulging in comfort foods, sends a signal to your body that all is well again. ''It's your body telling your brain, 'Things are getting better. Calm down,'" study co-author Norman Pecoraro told USA Today.

While scientists recognize that a candy bar can stop the stress, what they don't know is how it works. What is the specific metabolic signal that calms the stress and soothes the soul? Because they don't know the answer to that question, they also don't know if you can inadvertently do something else that might negate the effects of comfort food. For example, if you eat a candy bar and then go for a jog, will the candy still stop the hormones your body is producing in response to chronic stress?

It's a no-brainer to realize that if you curb the stress with cookies and candy too often, you'll get fat--possibly even obese. And that can lead to type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even stroke.

So the takeaway is this: Go ahead and eat a candy bar to calm the occasional stress, but don't make it a daily habit.

http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cp/fte/comfortfood/i/comfortfood135.jpg

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Easy one..........my comfort food is ice cream, plus for females, low-fat ice cream or ice milk is a great source of calcium...........:D 42

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Chocolate, and I adore warm, fresh bread. Comfort meal favorites are Chicken pot pie, meatloaf and my husband's spaghetti sauce with meatballs and sausage over pasta. Eat them up, YUM!!! :D

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm just the opposite, love milk chocolate not dark chocolate.
My favorite is Baskin Robbins Praline's N Cream ice cream. And can you believe, there are no Baskin Robbins in Wichita? Lots of Braums. :cry:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another vote for ice cream and reallly good mac and cheese, made from scratch with buttered bread crumbs on top : third place that old New England breakfast staple, pie!

dpp

heyang

Record Breaker
CHOCOLATE is a neccessity of life when under stress. I just finished eating a yummy chocolate dipped pretzel that also had mini M&M's on the chocolate. YUM.

I also enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich on rye with a steaming cup/bowl of hot soup (Chicken noodle, matzo ball, New England clam chowder, beef barley or Italian Wedding) - great on a cold winter's day. And chocolate for dessert, of course.

Almost forgot to add Mashed Potatoes with brown gravy.

GoldenLady

On the Ice
I agree about the mac and cheese, and also mashed potatoes and gravy. One of my absolute favourite comfort foods, though, is warm, cinnamony apple pie. :)

4dogknight

Final Flight
Don't laugh but my comfort foods are Kosher dill pickles, Double Glouster Cheddar cheese, roasted garlic on French bread, tinned anchovies, Queen garlic stuffed olives, and Hebrew National hot dogs with horseradish style mustard.

Not a sweet in sight in the above. Although I am addicted to Wintergreen LifeSavers and I guess that counts as a sweet.

4dk