IF YOU COULD WAVE YOUR HARRY POTTER WAND... | Golden Skate

IF YOU COULD WAVE YOUR HARRY POTTER WAND...

R

RealtorGal

IF YOU COULD WAVE YOUR HARRY POTTER WAND...

<span style="color:red;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;"><strong>... and change one event in figure skating history, what would it be? (I'm not going for the obvious here! You can add those yourselves under OTHER.) </strong></span>

<span style="color:navy;font-family:georgia;font-size:large;">I WISH THAT...</span>

G

Glacierskater

Re: IF YOU COULD WAVE YOUR HARRY POTTER WAND...

OTHER:
Above all else, I wish that the plane crash in February of 1961, that wiped out the entire US Figure Skating Team, on the way to Worlds had not occured. I wonder how that would have shaped the outcome of skating history?

L

Lcp88

I don't think its Speedy's parents fault - I think he became evil and secretive on his own then brainswahed them and the rest of his family untill he made his way up to the ISU:cool: :D

LOL I voted for the sequins one, though.
Laura

B

BronzeisGolden02

I certainly second the 1961 crash. The 60s skating scene would have been much different had that plane made it safely. It's also extremely interesting to think about the Olympics being in 1996 instead of 1994. Where would Oksana and Nancy have been? Would it have been a showdown between Michelle & Chen? That would have been one of the greatest Olympic battles of all time! Two of the greatest artists in the sport performing like they did during the 1996 season, especially the Edmonton Worlds. The men's competition wouldn't have been too different I wouldn't think, except it would have been an outright showdown between Elvis and Todd most likely. Pairs would have been quite different, sadly enough. Certainly no G&G.

G

Glacierskater

REALTORGAL:
I keep reading things about Speedy...who is Speedy?

R

RealtorGal

:evil: <span style="color:green;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:large;">Ottavio Cinquanta, the Lord Voldemort of figure skating.</span> 0] 8o

L

Lucy25

Definitely the crash of '61! Of those listed, though, I would have voted for the '94 Olympics never happening. I wish I look into a crystal ball and see what a '96 Winter Games would have given us.

P

Ptichka

If '61 crash had been one of the choices, everybody would vote for that. I believe the whole point of this poll is a lighter note.

R

RealtorGal

Thanks. That's why I did NOT include that or the death of Sergei Grinkov.

S

sk8guy2k2

Definately the sequins...so many sparkles and glitter...IM BLIND!!!:lol:

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Amateur skating had remained for AMATEURS--no money allowed except for perhaps a reasonable living stipend! [/quote]

I think professional skating would not be close to non-existant if this were still so....

also I think you should have put the getting rid of figures as one... I don't think we'd see half of the injuries or bad technique if figures were still a major part of the sport

L

lil icesk8er915

I'm glad that you can earn money as an amateur! It's really hard to pay for skating costs (ice-time, competition, coaching, skates, costumes, driving, registration fees, off-ice classes, ETC.) If I could change one thing, it would probably be the 1961 tragedy, that was really sad!

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I'm happy that Figure Skating actually pays athletes. One of the big reasons why people wanted the Olympics only to have amateur athletes were to keep the "common" people away from competing.

The skaters spend their lives doing this, they should be able to get payed for it, like any other sport.

I blame the decline of pro skating due to the major exploitation of it after the big ratings boom, and lack of any "serious" or nonfluffy competitions.

J

Joesitz

I would wave the wand over Tim's neck and shoulders to get them flowing with the music. The rest of him is all right.

Joe

L

LilyBerg

If I could swing my Harry Potter wand I would change all of the lying judges to frogs and give them to Neville. He would give them a fair tretment, but maybe he would lose one or two! :rollin:

/Lily

[Oh, I can't believe that I've written that! No! I haven't, it was my evil twin! :rolleyes: ]