Movies "Guaranteed" to Make Me Cry | Golden Skate

Movies "Guaranteed" to Make Me Cry

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
There are so many movies out there that I love, but these movies are guranteed "tearjerkers'" for me:

To Kill a Mockingbird
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
I Remember Mama
The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
To Sir With Love
West Side Story
An Affair To Remember
Penny Serenade
The Grapes of Wrath
The Yearling
Midnight Cowboy
The Hours
The Pianist

There are probably lots more, but these are movies that I always need a box of kleenex by the end of the movie!

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I am a classic non-cryer. But for whatever reason, there are moments in The Color Purple that makes me bawl every time I see it. Getting the letter from her sister she thought was dead, Shug reuniting with her pastor father in a rousing musical interlude and the final reunion between the 2 sisters. Gets me every time!

Kara Bear

Final Flight
YOu know what movie made me bawl...Castaway. When TOm Hanks loses Wilson...I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. But, hey, I cry at commercials too.

mpal2

Final Flight
Awakenings with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams. Nothing comedic about this film and it's based on a true story. I have the book which is not an easy read due to all the medical jargon. The doctor was orignally absorbed with medical research and it shows. The experience with these patients changed his life and underneath all the "doctor" talk is a real human interest story. It's tragic and uplifting at the same time.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
mpal2:

Yes, "Awakenings" brought a tear to my eyes too. Very good move and very touching. Thanks.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Definitely, the "Color Purple"........I have seen it many times, and it always makes me cry........42

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The Color Purple - The ending scene in the field...gets me EVERY time.
Moulin Rouge - The "Come What May" duet at the end.
Schindler's List
Iris
Sophie's Choice
West Side Story
What Dreams May Come
Life As A House

LOL....and no one laugh! The original "Land Before Time", when the mother dies. I guess it scarred me when I saw it in the theater as a child.

Damn...I'm a basket case.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden:

Thanks for reminding me "Life as a House" is definitely on my list as well. I went through three kleenex tissues at the theatre.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Steel Magnolias
My Girl
Moulin Rouge
An Affair to Remeber
Gone with the Wind
capt. Corelli's mandolin
Stepmom-my dad actually asked if i was "okay" when i saw this one
Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya sisterhood (books way better tho)
Ice castles
Somewhere in Time

Cartdi,
Another "Requiem for a Dream" fan. Cool. Amazing movie. It doesn't make me cry, but it's definitely intense. I think Ellen Bursteyn proves she is a master actor in that film. The whole cast is great, the direction is both innovative and superb, but Darren Aronofsky, who is quite young, must have been pinching himself every day saying, "I'm working with Ellen Bursteyn AND adapting a book by Hubert Selby, Jr.!" But heartbreaking, absolutely. Do you know what dream the title refers to? The American Dream. Heard it in an interview with Aronofsky.

I don't have whole movies that make me cry, but there are scenes that get me every time.
1. From "It's a Wonderful Life," the scene where Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed are doing the jitterbug contest and the guy Jimmy told to leave him and Donna alone tries to get back at them by opening up the floor over the pool. After Jimmy and Donna fall in and the whole party starts jumping into the pool, I just burst into tears. Not sure why, though I think it has something to do with the pure joy and humanity of the moment. BTW, anybody else notice the double entendres and "racy" scenes in "It's a Wonderful Life?" Makes me love "Kapra Corn" all the more.
2. In "About a Boy" when Hugh Grant comes onstage to accompany the kid, Marcus, who is committing "social suicide" by singing "Killing Me Softly" at his Jr. High "KidzRock" concert alone and a cappella because nobody will do it with him, not even the kid he paid, because his mother really is suiciidally depressed and he knows it's her favorite song and she once told him that hearing him sing brought sunshine and happiness into her heart. Will and Marcus singing "Killing Me Softly" makes me blubber every time, and I've seen it lots.
3. "My Fair Lady" (a) when Audrey Hepburn walks down the stairs in her ball gown and (b) a bit later as they are about to leave, when she waits as Rex Harrison is about to go out the door without her and then he turns around and offers her his arm. Getting teary-eyed just writing about it.
4. Jimmy Cagney dancing in "Yankee Doodle Dandy."
5. "Mountains of the Moon" when John Hanning Speke is holding Richard Francis Burton while he is out of his mind with pain and fever from days of the agonies of cellulitis in the middle of uncharted Africa in the 1860s (they're searching for the source of the Nile) and Speke can't help himself from kissing the virtually unconscious Burton on the mouth. I find it heartbreaking because the gay Speke is obviously in love with the very hetero Burton, and Burton too loves Speke, but in a different way, so there's both the unrequited love for Speke and for Burton a love that cannot be expressed the way Burton knows Speke wants it. The way the actor playing Speke does the scene, with a sense of both love and shame, is so sad to me.

There are others, but those are the ones guaranteed to take me apart every time.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
An Affair to Remember
Beaches
Steel Magnolias
Pay It Forward
Terms of Endearment
A League of Their Own
Gone with the Wind
Life is Beautiful
Stepmom - Since my sister died of cancer last year, I can't bear to watch that one any more.

I tear up a lot at movies. :p

CartDi

Rinkside
rgirl- have you read Requiem for a Dream? i don't know which is more intense, the book or the movie, lol. Ellen Burnsteyn is amazing. And the music score was amazing and fit really well with the movie, too.

I don't cry easily due to movies, but there have been a few instances where the tears just flow, lol!

Last edited:

Sadie

On the Ice
Does 'An American Tale' make anyone else cry? I cannot get through the scene where Fievel (did I spell that right???) and his sister are singing 'Somewhere Out There'. For being a kids movie, it is pretty sad. :cry: :cry:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, can you guess about me?
I can cry at about any movie there is. (I think I better cry at that bad grammar, too :laugh: )
One I can think of off hand is Sound of Music. I remember how I cried when Bambi first came out. Doesn't take much to make me cry.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
"Requiem for a Dream" was a great movie. And I also thought Ellen Bursteyn should have won an Academy Award for that performance...who knew that a classic actress could play a diet-pill junkie with such amazing precision and emotion! This film really didn't ever make me cry...especially the unedited version, that just made my jaw drop!

B

B4.

re

Central Station- It's a Brazilian movie about friendship between a boy and a woman. Really a great movie.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Grgranny:

I forgot about "Bambi!" Also "La Bamba" is on my list as well as a movie last year called "Talk to Her." Great stuff. Get out the kleenex!