Brian Joubert | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
I heard at a German Forum, that Brian Joubert will skate a new Long Programm. He did the new Programm in Dezember with Ian Jenkins and his coach. From what I heard, it will be the soundtrack from Matrix II.

Did someone know anything else??

Brian skate to Matrix some years ago, so I don´t know, what I have to think about that.

Last edited:

eleonora.d

On the Ice

Medusa

Record Breaker
Going back to Matrix doesn't sound very imaginitive or anything - but I am so looking forward to it. Hopefully he does come up with another, hmm, interesting costume. :laugh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Instead of going crying to mommy, Brain goes crying to the Matrix. Everytime his skating is not where he wants it to be, he re-vamps the matrix. don't get me wrong, I loved his matrix program back in 200(5)? when he first used it...that's how I became a fan. But if the only way he is gonna skate well is by listening to the Matrix...kinda weird. Maybe he just feels the costume is lucky?

evplu

Rinkside
It isn´t the old matrix. He used also the music from requim of a dream.

I´m sad that he won´t skate to the last mohican, it was a nice program with great potential. But it seems that Brian needs a new inspiration.
I think it´s a hard time for him know.

I keep my fingers crossed for him!!! I will always support him.

That's really sad. Joubert did such fine skating with the aid of Kurt Browning. I guess that metranome music keeps him in an easy pace and able to concentrate more on his elements. However, without 2 distinct Quads, I do not see gold.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I love Brian & his skating so I could care less about his going back to the Matrix as long as his skating is wonderful and he wins that world gold. Go Brian!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This decision to change his LP is both good and bad. Good, because Brian excels at skating to techno-ish music, but it's also bad because he's just going back to the same old thing. I wasn't crazy about The Last of the Mohicans, but I think it would've helped in the long run to develop his versatility.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'll have to see it next week at Euros before I make up my mind. I hope it's different from the old Matrix program - I liked that one, but Brian should be moving forward, not regressing. The addition of music from Requiem to a Dream could be interesting.

Tinymavy15 - I think going back to The Matrix in 2006 Worlds was necessary for Joubert to regain his confidence after the Olympics, and may have been one of the better decisions he's made in his career. He's also done well with other LPs - well, with Metallica, at least :biggrin:. I hope he'll come up with something good for the Olympic season.

BTW, I actually thought The Last of the Mohicans was a bit of recycling for Joubert, who had a techno version of that soundtrack in his Time SP earlier in his career.

antmanb

Record Breaker
While I did love the matrix program when he did it - i'm hoping to see different cuts of the music. The soundtrack from Requiem for a Dream is gorgeous (hasn't he used that before too) and would fit in well with the Rob Dougan track that most of his last Matrix LP was based on.

Totally different costume with completely new choreography would make me happy - i love the music. But is this really the best thing for Brian? Unless he plans to use the new LP for the Olympic season too it might be psychologically damaging to win worlds with a Matrix LP and then have to come up with something else for the Olympic season.

Maybe now Buttle has retired he could approach Browning again or would Chan's emergence as a potential competitor stop Browning from helping?

Ant

Hey - you gotta root for something in this life... :laugh::laugh:
I'm not sure yagotta but it is nice to root for something - like the Mets ;)
Skating for me is just being satisfied with anyone who skates THE best not just his best.

Brian, btw, has an excellent chance for gold. Judges seem to like skaters who have that stickwithit motivation. All his usual competitors have left the arena: Plushenko, Lambiel,Goebble, Weiss, Honda, etc. Matrix music will get him on the top of the podium

Interesting article. He has worked on the new choreography with Ian Jenkins. Who is Ian Jenkins? I suppose this means he dropped Platov's choreo all together. Don't blame him. It was a mish mash at TEB. However, the SP he did was super. I believe that was Browning's. Hope he keeps that.

Brian is the favorite to win this coming Worlds having been silver in the last one. I really want to see if this Jenkins gives him something special, but I wont see it until I return from Cleveland. I will, of course, get the results before heading home.

This Worlds before the Olys is really heating up.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not sure yagotta but it is nice to root for something - like the Mets ;)
Skating for me is just being satisfied with anyone who skates THE best not just his best.

Brian, btw, has an excellent chance for gold. Judges seem to like skaters who have that stickwithit motivation. All his usual competitors have left the arena: Plushenko, Lambiel,Goebble, Weiss, Honda, etc. Matrix music will get him on the top of the podium

Were Goebel, Weiss or Honda ever really his competitors? I would have them more as "before his time" - when did Honda even last compete 2002?

Ant

Were Goebel, Weiss or Honda ever really his competitors? I would have them more as "before his time" - when did Honda even last compete 2002?Ant
They were all in 2003 Worlds where Goebel came in 2nd and Weiss was in 2004 Dortmund with Johnny Weir. Honda always seemed to be everywhere.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Here is what I, as a huge Brian supporter, think about this decision:

1) "The Last of the Mohicans" prgram had potential, but it was extremely badly constructed. There were, what I would call, "Tarasova" bits, i.e, no choreography, based solely on the skater's interpretation, followed by bits with choreography. It looked like a patch-work choreography. Plus, at the beginning (after the quad), the Brian skated in a curved path when huge, straigt-line paths would have been more appropriate for the music.

2) This kind of music suites Brian very well, but as he said, he doesn't necessaryly feel comfortable skating to it.

3) I think Brian made a wise decision in changing his LP. He has learnt from the past, he has learnt not to be stubborn. The past has shown that when he isn't comfortable with his LP, the end of the season is desasterous, but so is the next as he lacks in confidence.

4) Choosing to skate to Matrix and "Requiem for a dream" is a sure choice which will allow Brian to regain confidence, plus he's fantastic at the kind of stuff!

5) It is still a risky choice. It's the second time he has gone back to skating to the Matrix, something which might play against him. He needs to show his versatility. (Brian's "artistic" problem, isn't really artistic, just mental). If he wants to win gold at the Olys, he needs the judges to want to give him gold, he needs to be olympic champ before the competition starts, so to speak. I'm worried that because of him skating again to Matrix, judges will just think he can skate one program.

6) Brian has chosen to skate to a different part of the Matrix theme tune, one from the Matrix Reloaded and to Requiem for a dream. At least he isn't doing completely the same thing. As for how different it will be to the first Matrix program we'll just have to wait and see.

7) Brian will really have to work on his exhibition programs to show judges that he can do great stuff on different kinds of music.

8) This gives Brian an opportunity to work with another choreographer before making his mind up for the Olys.

9) I'm worried that because the program was made recently, and so quite quickly, that it won't be very good.

10) Brian seems chiffed about it, so I'm not all that worried!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Were Goebel, Weiss or Honda ever really his competitors? I would have them more as "before his time" - when did Honda even last compete 2002?
Joubert's debut season was 2001-2, so they were skating at the same time, but his breakthrough season was 2003-4 and by then all three of them were probably past their peak - though Weiss did get a Bronze at the 2003-4 GPF. All three retired in 2006, the same as Plushy.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Interesting article. He has worked on the new choreography with Ian Jenkins. Who is Ian Jenkins? I suppose this means he dropped Platov's choreo all together. Don't blame him. It was a mish mash at TEB. However, the SP he did was super. I believe that was Browning's. Hope he keeps that.

Brian is the favorite to win this coming Worlds having been silver in the last one. I really want to see if this Jenkins gives him something special, but I wont see it until I return from Cleveland. I will, of course, get the results before heading home.

This Worlds before the Olys is really heating up.

Ian jenkins is the guy that Brian went to see for the problem that he had with his skates earlier this season (usualy Alain Gilletti looks after his skates).