Wild figure | Golden Skate

Wild figure

Mafke

Medalist
Just came across this from a figures(!) competition last August in Colorado.

This figure is apparently part of a figures competition in August and this is skated by Debbie Minter (don't know how many competitors there were).

(the video isn't good enough for me to be sure about a couple of the turns, feel free to disagree)

It's a serpentine which starts off as a counter, but then she does a bracket on axis with the counter and then a three close to the counter and then back inside loops over the counter. She then completes the serpentine with a rocker with double threes on the end circle and does forward inside loops over the rocker, at the end she does a .... pineapple (you just have to see it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmraBg72IBE

If youtube links aren't allowed and it gets deleted then just look for 'debbie minter' at youtube.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
That seems like an accurate description, except the forward loops are also inside.

Mafke

Medalist
thanks, I meant to type 'inside' and have no idea how the 'outside' got there, changed now.

Just came across this from a figures(!) competition last August in Colorado.

This figure is apparently part of a figures competition in August and this is skated by Debbie Minter (don't know how many competitors there were).

(the video isn't good enough for me to be sure about a couple of the turns, feel free to disagree)

Boy, am I old!! There never were that many basic turns in any one given school figure. Does that figure she did have a number?

Is there a kind of a 'free' figure skate in modern times?

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, my God, what was she doing there at the end? She draws and redraws this thing, then hops on it emphatically a few times! I've never seen anything like it. It looked so serious until she got to the last bit. It was funny. ;)

MasterB

Final Flight
I did figures for years and I never saw that pattern. She must have created it.

I hated doing them as a child but, now I find them relaxing. My favorite patterns are the loops. They don't require much space and I usually can get some in during a public session.

Mafke

Medalist
During the 1988 Olympics, ABC did a piece on Gillis Grafstrom ...
They showed a figure he skated in 1920's in the Olympics. It was very, very complex like that.

At the memories on ice site (unlinkable beyond:
http://winter-olympic-memories.com/index.htm ) go to 1908 and look up 'mens special figures' and they have diagrams of the figures skated ... yikes!

I _lurve_ the heart loops in the bronze medalist's figures and wish those had been kept as a a variation of loop figures (they look like a loop with a three on the loop, just as those elongated loops look like loops with a bracket on the loop).

Last edited:

MissCleo

On the Ice
It's a serpentine which starts off as a counter, but then she does a bracket on axis with the counter and then a three close to the counter and then back inside loops over the counter. She then completes the serpentine with a rocker with double threes on the end circle and does forward inside loops over the rocker, at the end she does a .... pineapple (you just have to see it).

Oh, my God, what was she doing there at the end? She draws and redraws this thing, then hops on it emphatically a few times! I've never seen anything like it. It looked so serious until she got to the last bit. It was funny. ;)

according to the first post, it is supposed to be a pineapple. It was a great ending. :biggrin:

skatingbc

Final Flight
according to the first post, it is supposed to be a pineapple. It was a great ending. :biggrin:

Pineapples are the best! I use them to teach beginner Canskater's (Skate Canada's Learn-to Skate Program) how to scull and to practice two-foot jumps on the spot. They're a great way to teach basics!