Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yags says he's out of Campbell's

Yags says he's out of Campbell's

Paula, I'm confused. You posted earlier that he was out of Campbell's and then removed the post. When asked about it, you said something about pending notification from the appropriate sources for protocol reasons. Mysteriously, the same day, his Official site puts up an announcement saying he's competing.

At the link below, there is a interview (translated from Russian) with Alexei. He clearly states that he had given the organizers his "refusal".

If this is so, then why hasn't USFSA or Campbell's or his Official site put up the accurate info? Are they trying to see how many more tickets they can sell before they announce it? Are they being dishonest or slow?
    What's going on????
    http://pub76.ezboard.com/falexeidisc...cID=5965.topic

I wish I could answer your questions - I honestly do. All I can say is welcome to the world of "politics".

Custom Title
    This is what Yagudin says in an interview from Sunday

>I planned to open a season with the Pro-Am event in New York, where Zhenya Plushenko, Takeshi Honda, Michael Weiss, Timothy Goebel and some other skaters are going to compete. But I already sent a notice [declining participation] to the organizers. >

It is a very interesting interview to read and here is the URL:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...?threadid=7005

Marjaana

He speaks out on many topics in the intereview: Driving; Coaching; Campbells; SOI, Doctors. It's worth a read and to get his side of the stories.

I will miss him in Campbells. I've never seen him live.

SOI if it comes to the tri-state area but for me there is a big difference between competitions and exchibitions.

The driving thing may have been a good thing in that he's cut out the booze. Doing community work is not that terrible. It gives one a sense of fulfilment.

Apparently, a hip replacement is in the future, and that's a bummer.

I'm wondering if coaching will be satifying for him. He's still very young for a male skater, and like all sportspeople, he likes competitions.

I writing all this down and at the same time I'm having strong feelings for him that everything will turn out to his liking. I hope so!

Joe

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Since this is an all-in-one-event I really wonder why the USFSA obviously seems so scared to announce Yags' refusal. After all Michelle Kwan is attending! Her oh-sooo incomparable greatness alone must fill the entire Madison Square Garden! :D

Anke

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I'm wondering if coaching will be satifying for him. He's still very young for a male skater, and like all sportspeople, he likes competitions.
    Joe, how I understand this situation is that he began training too soon and that he knows now that he needs to still heal. I think coaching will be good for him. I won't be surprised if he is back on the ice at some future time in a competive style but if he's not then I think he is making some mature plans for his future. These aren't the plans I want but I will take his skating if it is just shows (SOI).

Dee

This is more than just "politics." Yagudin "already" notified the organizers of the event, some time ago evidently. Yet the USFSA and the Campbell's promoters are still using his supposed participation to sell tickets. I don't want to get on my high horse here, but, really, that's fraud. Someone ought to call them on it.

Mathman

Custom Title

Dee4707

Not to go off topic, but are you planning to attend SOI here when it comes? I saw the schedule and noticed it will be here in January.

As far as Yags goes, I'm glad he's making mature decisions. What he decides will affect him in his future and I'd rather see him NOT compete if he isn't completely healed.

I have to agree that Campbells and the USFSA need to get it straight.

Custom Title
    Sounds like they are deceiving people to sell tickets alright. Weren't they promoting in an article his rivalry with Plush? What do you think is going to happen if Plush can't compete either?

I just went to the USFSA web site, planning to send them an email about this. I see that they have moved the advertisement for this event up to the top of the page, with no mention of Yagudin one way or another. However, the picture advertising the event is of Michelle and Sasha (no men pictured). It also says, "some of skating's hottest rivalries."

http://usfsa.org/news/news.htm

On the Madison Square Garden web site (click on Michelle), Yagudin is listed but not prominantly.

http://www.thegarden.com/index.jsp

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-23-2003 at 10:52 AM.

I thought it was a money thing all along. Shame on Campbell's and Madison Square Garden. It was not necessary to keep that a secret. I doubt anyone who has already bought a ticket will now turn it in for refund.
    Any last minute ticket buying will not be affected by it either. How often does one get to see competitive figure skating in NYC?

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    On the USFSA home page there's now a news item that says Irina and Alexei have withdrawn.

http://www.usfsa.org/

gerry

(edited to post the link)
    Last edited by milanessa; 09-23-2003 at 11:47 AM.

NOW IRINA TOO!

Apparently she is ill and she made a very nice statement.

Replacements - Scott Smith for Yags (Why not Johnny Weir?) For Irina it will be Jenny Kirk (ok).

If Campbells exists next year, I would suggest they get a more mixed group of contestants. 1 each from Japan, China, Canada, Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the US, maybe two to keep the peace.

Joe

Yurisgirl
    I read on the FSU forum that Johnny Weir was scheduled to compete at the JGP event in Mexico, but is out now due to an injury or illness.

Well, I guess that's that. Interesting how quickly the USFSA got it's act together once the story broke (again).

Realistic, you rightly compliment Alexei on making "mature decisions" about his skating (although this one might have been forced upon him by the condition of his hip and the amount of training that he has been able to do).

But the part about the drunk driving arrest made me wonder just how much responsibility he is willing to take for his own actions. He claims that he was only going 41 miles per hour in a 40 mile zone. He says that he "only had a couple of glasses of champaign." The people at the party "wouldn't let him leave." The car in front of him was going too slow, forcing him to speed up to pass. This sort of thing "happens every day." For punishment he will probably "have to listen to some lectures."

On a lighter note:

After all Michelle Kwan is attending! Her oh-sooo incomparable greatness alone must fill the entire Madison Square Garden!
    Poor Michelle. With Irina and Alexei out, once again Michelle is called upon to carry the whole show.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-23-2003 at 02:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast