Phil Hersh article with quotes from Johnny and Evan | Golden Skate

Phil Hersh article with quotes from Johnny and Evan

momjudi

On the Ice
I tried five times to get the blog from Phil Hersh to post but it just won't go through. Here is a small sample of what Evan and then Johnny had to say about the scoring system.

``Regardless of how I feel, the truth is the 6.0 was a brand for figure skating worldwide, and it became a commonly used phrase: `I would give it a 6.0.''' Lysacek said. ``Anyone could flip on the TV and know a 5.9 is pretty good and a 4.1 is not very good, so it was easy to follow, to cheer your favorites.

``The sport of figure skating has become some kind of national math contest, and this judging system is killing the sport,'' Weir said. ``The free program is supposed to be free, to put an image out there and tell a story, and it's next to impossible to do, unless you write the whole story on your costume. . .The art of figure skating is lost because of this judging system

Last edited:
Momjudi, for future reference: I think the reason your link didn't work is because you copied it from another message board rather than directly from the address bar of your own computer while at the site. Mesage boards (like Golden Skate) abbreviate the url, so when you copy and paste you are not copying the whole url. :)

momjudi

On the Ice
Mathman, you're most likely right, unfortunately the way my laptop is set up (and I don't understand it), when I go to a site, I cannot copy from the address bar so I have no choice but to copy from a message board. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, luckily there are many others who can fill in the gap and post the link.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Mathman, you're most likely right, unfortunately the way my laptop is set up (and I don't understand it), when I go to a site, I cannot copy from the address bar so I have no choice but to copy from a message board. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, luckily there are many others who can fill in the gap and post the link.

Next time try right clicking on the link and choosing 'copy shortcut'. That should get you the whole URL without having to copy from the address bar. Or if that doesn't work you can right click and choose properties and then try copying the address from the properties window.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting. I think that the general attitude of skaters towards the International Judging System is turning negative now.

On the other hand, at least now we have an explination for Johnny's unusual costume choice:rofl:

merrybari

Final Flight
Thanks for posting. I think that the general attitude of skaters towards the International Judging System is turning negative now.

I agree that the tide seems to be turning. So complicated and limiting it must be very frustrating to try to keep up with it through all the changes, many of them not for the good.